Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   GILMOUR's 427 LSX Detroit-Muscle [COTW 4/16/12] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133859)

JusticePete 02-13-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour (Post 4476734)
interesting... that would be why it is coming out without an actual tear this time... it is more of a liquid form, it must solidfy fairly quickly as it is kind of chunky where it is being slung.

do you have a recommended brand of high temp lube? Or a temp that it must be suitable to?

I am away from my desk, but the Drive Shaft Shop has been using it for some time now and I think they sell it.

Kyle.Gilmour 02-13-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangeruss (Post 4476742)
As cold as it gets there it's probably freezing in the air! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 4476747)
Not at all, and my car is lowered as well...

hmmmmmmmmmph

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 4476749)
I am away from my desk, but the Drive Shaft Shop has been using it for some time now and I think they sell it.

ok, I will contact them and see what it is.
Do you think this is something that they would provide free of charge since they packed it with a lower quality lube before they were sent to me?

JusticePete 02-13-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour (Post 4476808)
hmmmmmmmmmph

ok, I will contact them and see what it is.
Do you think this is something that they would provide free of charge since they packed it with a lower quality lube before they were sent to me?

How long have you had your shafts?

Kyle.Gilmour 02-13-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 4479449)
How long have you had your shafts?

bought the originals last april right before the fest.
they were sent in to fix this same issue once before last summer... about 1k miles since then.

Frank said he would call me tomorrow.

PQ 02-13-2012 11:13 PM

Holy shit. I hadn't heard of this at all.

I have seen no evidence of this on mine at all. Of course you guys are running WAY more power than I am. That's the biggest difference considering that stock axles have shown this a well.

Kyle.Gilmour 02-13-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 4479588)
Holy shit. I hadn't heard of this at all.

I have seen no evidence of this on mine at all. Of course you guys are running WAY more power than I am. That's the biggest difference considering that stock axles have shown this a well.

I know it was happening on another road course car. 480hp.
Think it has a lot to do with the way it squats during a launch or in the curves.

So.... Yours has only really squatted once during a launch right. Lol. :sm0:

JusticePete 02-13-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour (Post 4479625)
Think it has a lot to do with the way it squats during a launch or in the curves.

PQ runs hard for about 13 seconds :D

Laps build heat and lots of it. The lower the Camaro, the greater the heat because of the change in shaft angle. Run the laps in 2011 Texas heat and the CVs are :cry:

calbert1999 02-13-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS (Post 4476747)
Not at all, and my car is lowered as well...

I don't have this issue either and I have totally stock rearend still and my vehicle was dropped 1-1 1/2" since day 1.

JusticePete 02-13-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbert1999 (Post 4479683)
I don't have this issue either and I have totally stock rearend still and my vehicle was dropped 1-1 1/2" since day 1.

Do run road course laps with your Camaro?

calbert1999 02-13-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 4479699)
Do run road course laps with your Camaro?

No drag racing but lots of high speed driving.

Kyle.Gilmour 02-16-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 4476698)
The grease in the OE half-shaft and some aftermarket shafts is too low a temperature for lowered vehicles. The seal is designed only to keep things out as the grease is supposed to maintain viscosity. Ina lowered car, the CV joint develops more heat. The heat liquefies the grease and it is thrown out of the boot.

The solution is to repack the CV joint with a high temp synthetic lube.

I spoke with Frank at the DSS, he mentioned pretty much the same information. Frank was extremely helpful and generous. He said if I want I can send the axels back to him, he would repack and reband them for me.

He said there is a lot of grease in there though, since the boots not ripped I should try to retighten all the bolts and it may help out. (to 57lbs)
This is more of a temporary fix... but since I will be getting either the DSS 9in or the 12 bolt hammerhead this summer, Frank said these will be fine until then, and will gladly work with me to trade them in when I order the rear end.

so, guess that is some good info for others.

JusticePete 02-16-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour (Post 4492776)
I spoke with Frank at the DSS, he mentioned pretty much the same information. Frank was extremely helpful and generous. He said if I want I can send the axels back to him, he would repack and reband them for me.

He said there is a lot of grease in there though, since the boots not ripped I should try to retighten all the bolts and it may help out. (to 57lbs)
This is more of a temporary fix... but since I will be getting either the DSS 9in or the 12 bolt hammerhead this summer, Frank said these will be fine until then, and will gladly work with me to trade them in when I order the rear end.

Frank and DSS are 1st class.

PQ 02-16-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour (Post 4479625)

LOL, ya. These wheels don't squat. :laugh:

Darth_Emma 02-16-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour (Post 4492776)

The great customer service is why I decided to get a DSS 9" kit too.