Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Will you still have a new car warranty with these performance parts? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9313)

Hoss 11-04-2008 05:23 PM

Will you still have a new car warranty with these performance parts?

I don't want to screw up the warranty, do these parts hurt it?

SilverTurtle 11-04-2008 05:26 PM

GM Performance Parts, when installed by a properly trained technician, will not void any factory warranty that your GM car has.

camaro1 11-04-2008 06:07 PM

make friends with your local dealer service dept, im swapping in a totally different engine in mine and i will still have plenty of warranty coverage

see5 11-04-2008 06:14 PM

There are no hard rules when dealing reasonably with a sympathetic dealer.

CWI 11-04-2008 06:15 PM

I'm no expert, but I think i've seen where the GMPPs have 12 mo 12,000 mile on them. Not sure if or how it affects any original equipment.

Txturbo 11-04-2008 07:00 PM

If installed by the dealer or ADI before you take delivery of the car, you get full warranty just like everything else on the car. If you take delivery and then decide to buy these parts and have the dealer or ADI install them, they only have the 12 month/12K mile warranty.

The_Blur 11-04-2008 07:05 PM

It really depends on the performance part. Oiled intakes, any form of forced induction, and anything that requires you to open your engine will generally cause your GM GoodWrench mechanic to raise an eyebrow. Other parts will generally be fine so long as they don't cause a warranted part to wear or break.

Hoss 11-04-2008 07:11 PM

Please tell me who ADI is?

Do you think the shorty headers & the cat back system will help and would they be worth the money?

Put it another way is any of this going to help performance much?

When you are talking about a good tuner helping you out on performance, are you folks talking about a computer geek who knows these GM engines and works on computer cards?

I sure could use some help on this. I want to keep the 3 year/ 36000 mile warranty.

Thanks,

Hoss

NVMY68SS 11-04-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss (Post 181516)
Please tell me who ADI is?

Do you think the shorty headers & the cat back system will help and would they be worth the money?

Put it another way is any of this going to help performance much?

When you are talking about a good tuner helping you out on performance, are you folks talking about a computer geek who knows these GM engines and works on computer cards?

I sure could use some help on this. I want to keep the 3 year/ 36000 mile warranty.

Thanks,

Hoss

I have friends with Z06s that were told that anything they bolted to the engine, i.e. headers would void the warranty. Now, these weren't GMPP headers, they were aftermarket. So, I agree with the others, if you can depend on your dealer for the installs, the warranty should be maintained with the parts they are offering. We haven't seen any forced induction, yet. Def gonna have to go aftermarket for that I guess.

Edit: Just found this........keep it handy and check out the cat-back sounds

http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/orderfulfillment.asp

ADI = authorized dealer for installations or something like that......someone your dealer uses for doing their installs for them.

The tuner is a small handheld device that can be used to make adjustments to your computer......or it can be a dyno based device that tweaks your computer. Just depends on what you want.

GMs warranty is 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain and 3 year/36,000 bumper to bumper.

playhard67 11-04-2008 08:07 PM

Some parts will void the warranty, A GMPP Hot Cam for instance will void the powertrain warranty.

DGthe3 11-05-2008 10:44 PM

you're warranty will be voided if a part that has been installed is proven to be the cause of failure. Things like a catback exhaust can't hurt anything so it would be fine. As others have said, a hot cam or a supercharger is somewhat different.

turbocrazy 11-06-2008 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txturbo (Post 181501)
If installed by the dealer or ADI before you take delivery of the car, you get full warranty just like everything else on the car. If you take delivery and then decide to buy these parts and have the dealer or ADI install them, they only have the 12 month/12K mile warranty.

Is this really true??? :chevy::iono:

headpunter 11-06-2008 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbocrazy (Post 183058)
Is this really true??? :chevy::iono:

pretty much

NVMY68SS 11-06-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 183072)
pretty much

Not per the link I posted above.........here's an excerpt.

GM Accessory Warranty Coverage & Support
GM Accessories that are permanently installed on a GM vehicle prior to delivery are covered under the provisions of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. In the event GM Accessories are installed after vehicle delivery, or are replaced under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, they will be covered (parts and labor) for the balance of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, but in no event less than 12 months / 12,000 miles.

If a GM Accessory is found to be defective prior to or during installation, the Dealer should exchange the part for a new one through the normal return process.