Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Thinking about starting some modifications, what first? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309743)

GuitarJozz 07-28-2013 01:52 AM

Thinking about starting some modifications, what first?

I've had my Camaro 2LS for just about a year now, and I think I'm ready to begin doing some mods. My car is completely stock, except for this:
http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/...ps311e1512.jpg

Now, I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, so I don't really know anything about the subject, other than what I've learned from watching Top Gear and playing various racing video games(Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, etc).

Any mods I do, I would most likely be asking my brother to help me out on the install process of each, as he went to school for automotive technology and works on cars all the time.

I'm not looking to take it to the track or anything, so I only plan on doing some basic mods here and there.

Basically, I'd like to just find out what's the best place to begin when starting to mod the LFX V6. Intake, exhaust, etc? I know headers are not possible with the LFX. Also, if someone could sort of briefly explain what each type of mod is and where it would be installed on the car? So I can get an idea of things such as the difference between an axle back and cat back, etc. This could also be a thread where LFX owners show off their cars as well. Maybe post what mods you have done to your Camaro's, and which one you started with...

So suggest away, and pics and/or videos are welcome! Thanks!

Apex Motorsports 07-28-2013 08:31 AM

Check the thread below out. It is a compilation of technical articles I have written. Many of your questions are answered there. If you have an questions after reading feel free to hit me up.

The Guide: 5th Gen Camaro Modification

skibik 07-28-2013 01:00 PM

To each his/her own on mods and what you want to do. Here are the common ones.

Exhaust:
Axle back, these are basically changing out the muffler hence axle back. The most popular I would say is MRT V2.0. You will never get the V8 sound from a V6 but these sound pretty awesome.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=97756

Cat back, this describes a system that starts behind the catalytic converters to the back of the car.

The only other option to our LFX engine in this department is high flow catalytic converters, or HFC's for short and as of now the only one I know making them is Solo Performance. This is the first section from the head to the first joint. Solo claims approximately 15 RWHP (rear wheel horsepower)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=97763

Engine Compartment:
Cold Air Intake (CAI) is usually the most common under the hood replacement and there are many options out there. CAI brand is probably the most popular. I have Injen CAI. Injen claims 15 RWHP over stock. This replaces your stock air box and filter.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=97761

Ported Throttle Body, (TB) is another common replacement. I don't have a picture of this. This controls the airflow into the engine. Vmax is the main company that does machine work on these and what they do is smooth out the inside of the opening for better air flow into the motor. It is has a slight performance gain of 9 RWHP over stock and I noticed that my car has better mid-throttle response.

Oil Catch Can (CC) is another popular mod for under the hood. This is put in line on the crankcase ventilation system to stop the oil from entering into the engine. RX and Elite are the top ones. Elite pictured below.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/pictur...ctureid=100328

These are the basic mods. The sky, or your check book, is the limit to what can be done. Here is a link to member car journals, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50 these are threads of cars that members own and have modded. Start a thread of your own and check out what others have done for ideas. The mods are endless. Feel free to check mine out as there are just a few other basic mods that I have done that is not listed here.

Dean. :thumbsup:

Srm1135 07-28-2013 01:39 PM

What are you doing in the 1/4 mile

RS111341 07-28-2013 01:51 PM

JUST SAY NO!!!!! Once you start, you won't be able to stop.
Modding is more addicting than most drugs, starts out harmless enough, but before you know it..........you're in modding anonymous with the rest of us addicts:help:

intensifi 07-28-2013 02:47 PM

There are several mod categories. This is my (incomplete) list:

1) horsepower/torque
2) handling
3) longevity
4) asthetics/sound
5) improved safety

Each owner will have different priorities based on how the car is used. A daily driver (DD) would prioritize different than a track car. For example if your are driving 6 miles to and from work each day a super charger would probably be a waste, but better brakes and improved mileage mods would be high on your list.

So my suggestion is for you to prioritize your desires and then ask in those areas.

That said (and depending on mileage) you should probably have an upper induction cleaning done and put a catch can on now.

skibik 07-29-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Srm1135 (Post 6830547)
What are you doing in the 1/4 mile

Were you asking me or the OP? If you were asking me I have no clue. Closest track is 4 to 5 hours away really don't feel like driving that far to find out. I will get around to it one of these days. I have been searching around to find a Dyno but living in NW MN they are just not close by either and haven't found one within a 6 hour one way drive either.

Dean. ;)

SmokiNstripes6913 07-29-2013 05:46 PM

Do the basics: CAI, exhaust, CC, Ported TB, etc. After all this, it depends how valuable your warranty is to you. If its not a big deal, invest in a good tune, either dyno or mail order. You would def feel a difference with your 2LS, as a tune would firm up your conservative stock shift points.

GuitarJozz 07-29-2013 06:02 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice! I will look through the modification guide and the car journals when I get a chance, but thanks for the tips. And yeah I heard about the modding bug. I'm going to try and take this one thing at a time and try not to go overboard. But I could see myself getting carried away.

I can see it now:
Let's get this meeting started. First, we would like to welcome a new member, Joe from Pennsylvania.

Hello, my name is Joe, I'm 24 years old, and I have a problem with modding. :yo:

Hello Joe!

Thank you for having me. Well, where should I start. My first mod was....
:biggrin::smiling1:

Anyway, I'm thinking of starting with a cold air intake, and probably the catch can as well. Where would I go to get the upper induction cleaning done? Also, what are some good websites to look through for 5th gen Camaro mods?

And thanks again, I appreciate it!

skibik 07-30-2013 06:21 PM

For upper induction cleaning usually the dealership can take care of this. How many miles on the car? I don't think I would worry if you have less than 10-15K on it. It might not hurt to have it done. I didn't put my CC on until around the 10k mark and I don't plan on have a cleaning done.

There are some businesses that sponsor on these forums and I have bought from a few of them on here along with I think it was called New Level Motorsports was one. I bought my exhaust from the MRT website ************.com. They have a lot of stuff. Lots of places out there just hit a Google search for what you need.

Yeah, the mod bug, damn thing hurts when you get bit by it. I stopped cold turkey after the few I added since I didn't want to go too far with adding things because I am not sure how far down the road I will be keeping it.

Dean. :nod:

GuitarJozz 07-30-2013 07:03 PM

Well I guess I don't have to worry much, because I only have around 2,000 on it. I only drive it on my days off from work. I'm probably going to order the RX catch can soon, and then look at the different intakes and see which one I like best.

I'm also thinking bout changing the front bumper, or maybe adding some kind of ground fx. Possibly a new rear spoiler and different wheels down the road as well...

By the way, what are those stripes called that you have skibik? I like that style.

Oh god, I think I'm coming down with something.... Not good...
lol

skibik 07-30-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarJozz (Post 6839874)
Well I guess I don't have to worry much, because I only have around 2,000 on it. I only drive it on my days off from work. I'm probably going to order the RX catch can soon, and then look at the different intakes and see which one I like best.

I'm also thinking bout changing the front bumper, or maybe adding some kind of ground fx. Possibly a new rear spoiler and different wheels down the road as well...

By the way, what are those stripes called that you have skibik? I like that style.

Oh god, I think I'm coming down with something.... Not good...
lol

I believe they are called "BumbleBee" style racing stripes I think. I didn't like the ones that ended at the hood so I searched around on the net and found them. I made sure and found some made with 3M paper. I think I got them from mopro.net but now I can't seem to get onto their website. Do a search they are out there for about $150 or so and it cost me about $200 to have them installed. My set come with 2 options for the rear spoiler, either you could have them short and stop on the top side of the spoiler or wrap over so they could be seen from the back, I did the latter. I could not believe the difference in how it looked from before I dropped it off until after I picked it up. My mouth dropped.

Dean. :thumbsup:

TwentyTen2SSRS 07-30-2013 09:06 PM

Dean,

Not sure how long you are gonna have it huh??? Whoa, whoa whoa.

rickyrocket 07-30-2013 09:55 PM

I have the MRT-2 and CAI intake,prob. the best mods other than FI,you wont believe the difference!