Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Subframe connectors gains noticeable on autox Camaro? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359064)

Zombie killer 05-18-2014 09:16 PM

Subframe connectors gains noticeable on autox Camaro?

My 2013 SS (FE4) is already equipped with 1" lowering springs, beefier front and rear sways, adjustable toe rods, trailing arms, upgraded lower control arm bushings and a performance alignment. I am still running the stock 20" Pzeros (235fronts/275rears) and I know that is a weak link until I change up my tire setup but I was wondering what else would make any difference in the corner ability of my SS at this time. The car seems stiff enough but was wondering if a sub frame cross member actually benefits a Camaro that is running in auto cross or SCCA solo events. I would like to know what gains are actually noticed or is it just more undesired bolted on weight .

I know Pete could throw out some infinite wisdom to use newbies who need a good baseline to start with in the autocross arena and then we can work on the "driver mods" next.

JDP Sales 05-19-2014 01:30 PM

Subframe connectors are a band-aid that don't do much in my opinion. You'll get a lot more stability out of doing some actual subframe bushings. If you are on a tight budget, look into the Prothane subframe bushings Part # 7-142. While doing the subframe bushings, it's also highly recommended to address the upper control arm bushing at the same time.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

BMR Sales 05-19-2014 04:37 PM

Personally, I think the Subframe Connectors are a good mod for an active autocross or HPDE car. But only after other items have been addressed first. As both Tyler and Comrando mentioned, there are other much more effective mods that should be done first, namely subframe (cradle) bushings and rear upper control arm bushings. I really wouldn't mess with the "inserts". They are fine for street-driving, but for an active track car, the full Pro-Version bushings (BK024) work much, much better at stabilizing that rear end!!!

JusticePete 05-19-2014 06:50 PM

Sub-frame connectors will do nothing for performance.

Pick up a ZL1 / 1LE rear bar and bolt it in.
Order up a front pair of 1LE sub-frame bushings.
Get a tight spec alignment.
Have fun!

Zombie killer 05-19-2014 07:47 PM

Thanks for the input on SFC. Kinda what is tonight as I couldn't see where the money spent on them was just more than cosmetic over actual performance gains. I have upgrade most bushings but have not done the full cradle or differential bushings yet. Cradle bushings are next mod.
My biggest fault is over driving the stock front tires and not being able to plant all the power from the rear on the larger and much faster courses.

JusticePete 05-19-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie killer (Post 7678342)
Thanks for the input on SFC. Kinda what is tonight as I couldn't see where the money spent on them was just more than cosmetic over actual performance gains. I have upgrade most bushings but have not done the full cradle or differential bushings yet. Cradle bushings are next mid.
My biggest fault is over driving the stock front tires and not being able to plant all the power from the rear on the larger and much faster courses.

28mm Z/1LE rear bar with the 'skinny' OEM SS front barn will reduce understeer. You can still over-drive it, but it will be at higher speeds :biggrin: