Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   N/A VS Supercharged Driving Experience (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567277)

dporter6 12-25-2019 10:35 PM

N/A VS Supercharged Driving Experience

Hey Guys,

I wanted to get your experience/Thoughts on Driving a fully built N/A car vs a supercharged car? Which one is a better "driving experience" in your opinion and why. Many enthusiast told me All motor is a better driving experience but I would love to hear your thoughts. Happy Holidays BTW :D

Greenhornet2 12-26-2019 11:37 AM

Supercharged will give you a much better drivability car. You don't need the huge lopey cam on a supercharged car to get the power out of it. My car drives like stock if i want it to. 55mph at 1200rpm isnt a problem at almost 600whp. 600whp on a NA car and it's gonna be a pretty radical drive.

TheFlyingBananaSS 12-26-2019 12:54 PM

If you build the car for your desired needs, drivability is not an issue.

weSS1LEy 12-26-2019 04:58 PM

I’m happy with mine NA so far. It’s very responsive and doesn’t produce the heat of a super charger. I may supercharge later but I feel like I already can’t put the power down in first or second. Maybe I need a fatter tire first

cowpunk 12-26-2019 05:06 PM

2010 NA SS Big Cam, Gears, "cats'' , and straight pipes

Better practice on the clutch for slow parking lot driving

Need to tip in a little more loud pedal in normal driving

https://www.facebook.com/1582766929/...?id=1582766929

Always get a thumbs up / hell yeah or the stink eye.

Cowpunk

Greenhornet2 12-26-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weSS1LEy (Post 10686882)
I’m happy with mine NA so far. It’s very responsive and doesn’t produce the heat of a super charger. I may supercharge later but I feel like I already can’t put the power down in first or second. Maybe I need a fatter tire first

Then you need tires my friend. On a hot day i can roll into full throttle in 1st with full traction.

Greenhornet2 12-26-2019 07:38 PM

It depends what you define as a "better" experience. To me, no bucking, smooth throttle response ability to cruise low rpm is ideal. At around 600whp i have this, it's also fairly quiet while not under boost. Now once i'm into boost this thing unleashes hell, loud as **** and fast. Instant throttle response, tons of torque ho climbs very linear. To me it doesn't get much better than that. I kinda look at it like this. My car runs like a big 4 stroke dirt bike with a little powerband. I see a large HP NA car as more of a 2 stroke dirt bike with a big powerband. There's a lot of NA enthusiasts because it is harder to make the kind of power you can with FI so it is more of a pride thing. Usually that's more of an older crowd i find. At least around me. You just can't beat boost in my opinion. Car can stay very streetable with gobs of power all over the rpm range. I'm over 400wtq at just over 2krpm

Athletics101 12-26-2019 07:40 PM

I don’t know if I’d call my car a fully built N/A car yet; but it drives great. The stall keeps it from bucking, and the cam sounds great and turns heads, which is a huge part of driver experience for me. It great when people talk to you about your car based on the sound.

Greenhornet2 12-26-2019 08:02 PM

On an automatic you can get away with a lot more. I don't know if the OP is talking auto or stick. I'm talking stick since that's what i have.

Tajefe Couple 12-26-2019 09:41 PM

I have a stick to but drive an auto, sorry couldn't resist.
Think it's all about what someone is looking for. Know I wouldn't give up the sound of my NA car for just a supercharger. Not saying I wouldn't add one some day. Much respect to the FI crowd as those are bad rides to. Again to each there own but I just love that choppy cam lope sound and with just a few changes this winter should make it into the 10's with no weight reduction other than wheels. Best pass for me so far 11.4x with a 1.5 60ft SBE NA full weight car. Those numbers where all with the car shifting into 5th way to soon before the traps.

Greenhornet2 12-26-2019 09:49 PM

I have a cam sitting in my garage ready to go in. Rough idle cam, i get it lol. I'm looking for a happy medium, tons of power but some lope, just don't want to lose too much drivability, harder with a stick car.

pnwdan 12-26-2019 10:57 PM

Anyone that says you lose drivability with a cam in a manual doesnt know how to drive. I daily drive mine and love it. I can creep in parking lots or bang the gears on the road. Yes it is different but once you treat it like learning a new car, it's just another car.

John_C 12-27-2019 12:36 AM

I've tried it both ways.

It depends on your goals and the size of your wallet really.

I personally like the full exhaust, catless, heads, big cam, E85, blower car.

Current setup is in my sig.

Made 760 rwhp through a 6L80 and Circle D 3400 stall on E85.

Also....

I run a Stage 3 Texas Speed VVT 3.2 cam wth DoD / AFM delete. I ran it n/a and currently with the Centrifugal ProCharger D1X and have never had surging and bucking.

N/a idle on E85

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVu6p4g4D9A

With blower on 93 pump for winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8h6jiMI64I

Had to move up to ID1300x injectors and add a DSX auxiliary pump for fuel system and then did a built Tim King CTSV 6L90 for 1,000 hp, Circle D 3400 triple disc converter and DSS 3.5" one piece aluminum drive shaft. Then I did the whole fan cooled Holley / Earls oil cooler setup for a trans cooler.

Yellow 1 12-27-2019 03:53 AM

I was at about 480hp with some "basic" mods (excluding a cam as I like driveability and not a big fan of choppy motors) as a consequence it drove well but power didn't come on stream 'til up past 3000rpm. Now I've gone Magnuson blower and cnc heads; if I kick her in the guts it's pretty instant, real neck-snapping ( but still a kitten in traffic)