Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cam install cost (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212208)

partlowr 01-29-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fast (Post 7500877)
You will get differant prices depending on the area, Nothern Va high cost to do business move out to the surronding areas prices go down.

You are in the ball park Install $1150.
oil $67.89 syn
tune $550.00
coolant $47.97
cam kit $799.80
total $2615.66

Give or take here and their with differant gaskets or other fluids or shop supplies, Id say a couple more dollars your good to go.

My other suggestions is use a well know good LSX shop in the area, Shop not to far away from you Call Fran at Rpm, they should be able to get you hooked up. Or if you like to make the trip give us a call we can also take good care of you .

Or if you just need help or question on your build let us Know

How many hours does the complete install take on average for an L99/LS3? I am thinking about camming mine but its an auto transmission vert so I have an L99. Can I throw a cam in mine or do I need to convert the heads to LS3? Thanks in advance.

InFiD3ViL 01-29-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partlowr (Post 10059199)
How many hours does the complete install take on average for an L99/LS3? I am thinking about camming mine but its an auto transmission vert so I have an L99. Can I throw a cam in mine or do I need to convert the heads to LS3? Thanks in advance.

Your L99 heads are just fine, but they will need to come off (replace lifters). Will have to change the springs and related hardware though...assuming you are installing a cam that's worth the trouble spec wise.

SS PANTHER 01-30-2018 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 (Post 10054765)
How many miles do you have? Just because you don't HAVE to pull the lifters, doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea if you are getting up there in miles. I've seen many AFM lifters fail on stock engines, let alone modified.

This^. And add a new Melling oil pump at the same time. The OEM pumps are known to have problems.

deano1989 01-30-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 (Post 10054765)
How many miles do you have? Just because you don't HAVE to pull the lifters, doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea if you are getting up there in miles. I've seen many AFM lifters fail on stock engines, let alone modified.

Just my $.02

It's just now over 55,000 miles.

go_go_gadget88 01-30-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano1989 (Post 10060437)
It's just now over 55,000 miles.

A week ago I would have said slap one in and go if you were an LS3. However, after pulling out my lifters at 21k and seeing them scored from debris...I would strongly recommend pulling heads and at least looking. And while you are there, IMHO, I would spend the $100 for some new ls3/ls7 lifters and ditch AFM. I am putting new ones in. Maybe I could have gotten by, but for as cheap as they are, I don't wanna wipe a new cam/build and have to start over because I cut a corner.

In your shoes, I would be tempted to go with a VVT, non-AFM cam that's a little hotter, and makes it more worth the investment. Don't have to get too crazy if you don't plan on doing a high stall as well. But, I can't think of much that'd be worse than spending the money to have this all installed, just to be left disappointed still because you went with what would work best with those junk AFM lifters.

deano1989 01-30-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 (Post 10060571)
A week ago I would have said slap one in and go if you were an LS3. However, after pulling out my lifters at 21k and seeing them scored from debris...I would strongly recommend pulling heads and at least looking. And while you are there, IMHO, I would spend the $100 for some new ls3/ls7 lifters and ditch AFM. I am putting new ones in. Maybe I could have gotten by, but for as cheap as they are, I don't wanna wipe a new cam/build and have to start over because I cut a corner.

In your shoes, I would be tempted to go with a VVT, non-AFM cam that's a little hotter, and makes it more worth the investment. Don't have to get too crazy if you don't plan on doing a high stall as well. But, I can't think of much that'd be worse than spending the money to have this all installed, just to be left disappointed still because you went with what would work best with those junk AFM lifters.

Thanks for the info, when I start this project I'll be looking into different cams and do the lifters/AFM delete. Don't want to cut any corners either :headbang: