Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Lingenfelter modified ZL-1 Runs 11.03@130 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216480)

Pgoldston 04-15-2012 09:39 AM

I just noticed the pics of the yellow cars engine! AM I RELIEVED!! It looks like you can actually work on this car unlike the previous gen cars.

Graham Behan 04-15-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pgoldston (Post 4808297)
Graham

What type of fuel system is on the zl1? All my time is on the ford side of things and I havent been keeping up with GM. Is this a modulated returnless system or a return setup?

Its a PWM system and unlike the CTSV system it varies the fuel pressure at WOT, cadillac is full on at that point.

Graham.

Pgoldston 04-15-2012 09:44 AM

oh ok, Im guessing that it has a delta pressure sensor for the injectors, and has a modulator? When the car is ran hard has there been any issues with the modulator getting hot and shutting off mid run? Just asking as this was a issue with some of the ford setups requiring to run 2 modulators or other changes.

Thats odd that the CTS-v doesnt modulate at all. I would figure that would lead to fueling issues, or fuel pressure spikes unless I am missing something.

SRT8Tech 04-15-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 (Post 4808300)
So just so I understand, to run toe to toe in the HP/TQ numbers with the overpriced '13 Shelby how much do you have to spend on the ZL1? I thought I heard negative comments about having to add track pack and such to the Shelby to get the best out of it? I'm confused...

I honesly would not want the SVT track package because I would not be road racing it. If I got a 13 GT500 I would be just 1/4 mile racing it. I would want the base 13 GT500. At the right dealer you can get one for under MSRP. Invoice plus dealer holdback is 49k. Yeah, ive been looking..................

Graham Behan 04-15-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pgoldston (Post 4808339)
oh ok, Im guessing that it has a delta pressure sensor for the injectors, and has a modulator? When the car is ran hard has there been any issues with the modulator getting hot and shutting off mid run? Just asking as this was a issue with some of the ford setups requiring to run 2 modulators or other changes.

Thats odd that the CTS-v doesnt modulate at all. I would figure that would lead to fueling issues, or fuel pressure spikes unless I am missing something.

I didn't say the CTSV does not modulate at all, just that it does not at WOT. So far we have seen no issues with the PWM controls that are employed in the GM vehicles we have modified over the years.

Graham.

Pgoldston 04-15-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Behan (Post 4808371)
I didn't say the CTSV does not modulate at all, just that it does not at WOT. So far we have seen no issues with the PWM controls that are employed in the GM vehicles we have modified over the years.

Graham.

I got that it doesnt modulate at WOT only, just seems odd to me.

2012ZL1 04-15-2012 09:55 AM

Graham,
Your thoughts on using an upper/lower pulley combo instead of a real small upper?
Do you know at this point if the lower pulley/damper set up for CTS-V will work on the ZL1 considering the lack of belt driver p/s on the ZL1? Also as far as rwhp estimates go, my car is a manual trans if that makes a difference. What cam are you using in the yellow car? the GT9?

Unobtainium 04-15-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 (Post 4808300)
So just so I understand, to run toe to toe in the HP/TQ numbers with the overpriced '13 Shelby how much do you have to spend on the ZL1? I thought I heard negative comments about having to add track pack and such to the Shelby to get the best out of it? I'm confused...

My guess is that these cars are much more comparable than people like to think. Add some stuff to the Shelby, and it will be on the heels of the Z in the twisties, and add some stuff to the Z, and it will be on the heels of the Shelby at the strip.
I'd assume a good pulley, cold air, and tune will get the Zl1 close to the Shelby. The shelby runs a bigger blower with alot more boost though, so it may take a bit more considering the weight difference.
I'm not sure how easy it is to put real slicks on the Z, as the brakes are huge.

islander033 04-15-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 (Post 4808317)
cold air and pulley does it. My guess less than 500 bux.

I'd at least double that estimate, so as to include a tuner + tune and possibly a puller for the pulley (I can't see how it is attached to the SC).

Graham Behan 04-15-2012 10:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 (Post 4808395)
Graham,
Your thoughts on using an upper/lower pulley combo instead of a real small upper?
Do you know at this point if the lower pulley/damper set up for CTS-V will work on the ZL1 considering the lack of belt driver p/s on the ZL1? Also as far as rwhp estimates go, my car is a manual trans if that makes a difference. What cam are you using in the yellow car? the GT9?

Cam is GT9, 8.66 lower with 2.55 upper gets you 23771 supercharger speed at 7000 engine rpm, 2.38 pulley with 8.66 gets yo 25469 sc rpm at same pointand 2.38 with 8.25 lower gets you 24274 sc rpm, we will let you know which works best soon:D

Pictures show answers to other questions:

2012ZL1 04-15-2012 10:31 AM

Cool Graham..I can't wait for the results. This with long tubes and no cats test would be great too..(and then you would have a tune ready for me once I do these mods...heh heh)

REAPER SS 04-15-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Behan (Post 4808265)
Hi Mark,
If you plan headers and a cam the 2.38 will probably be the best solution, you definitely need injectors and probably a fuel pump, we have tested to 20 volts of boosting of the stock pump and although it will deliver enough fuel, we would not advise this for a long lasting solution. Yes it is possible to send the ECM but we do offer an Autocal that can do this, or if you have EFI Live we can E-mail it.

I would estimate 630-640 rwhp could be reliably achieved with these mods, but we will test this configuration early next week, sans headers and let you know. I have no idea on sale price of tune, I just get to do the engineering, oh and like today, build an engine in a yellow car:D

Graham.

What, an engine build already on a brand new ZL1:confused0068: I must say MR. Graham that I salute you and your company for being the 1st one out the gate to go extensive with the ZL1.

Camarowguy 04-15-2012 12:18 PM

All I can say is if that's all the mods it takes to run 130 mph trap speed.....this car truly is a monster. Imagine this.....the car wasn't even out yet when they ran this time....just wait until some other tuners get there hands in it. It's gonna be a beast

OldScoolCamaro 04-15-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REAPER SS (Post 4808875)
What, an engine build already on a brand new ZL1:confused0068: I must say MR. Graham that I salute you and your company for being the 1st one out the gate to go extensive with the ZL1.

...you don't get to be #1 by resting on your laurel's, Lingenfelter is the best...I'd go to these guys first for anything. :thumbsup: