Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Dr. Colorchip review (sorry, no pics) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150988)

NicksVSix 06-04-2011 04:21 PM

Dr. Colorchip review (sorry, no pics)

Hey guys,

First off, I apologize for the lack of pics...I took them with my macro setting on and every single spec of dust, waterspot, swirl and defect showed up just as much as the stone chips, so the pics didn't really reveal just how nice of a job the Dr Colorchip did as much as seeing it in person does.

So, on to the pic-less review.

I got the most expensive kit from them, which was probably a mistake as I now have enough paint to repair the stone chips on every black Camaro in Canada for the next 5 years.

I was hesitant at first to dab the paint on and just smear it as per the instructions, but I just went for it. It's really easy, you just gotta have faith in yourself and go for it! :laugh: As an aside, the paint I got was a 100% match to my factory paint.

After smearing I just waited 3-4 minutes for the smeared paint to dry and then I applied the Sealact on the provided cloth as instructed. Light pressure, letting the cloth do the work, back and forth, then buffing lightly with a microfibre towel afterwards.
Wow, works like a charm! :thumbup: Just like they say it should.

I was quite impressed with the results. Was super easy to do and looks way better than fixing chips with the touch up paint supplied by the dealership.

Does it make chips disappear? Not really. Small chips all but went away, but unless the chip was quite small, you can still see the "indent" of where the chip was afterwards, but that's only because as the car's owner, you know *exactly* where they are and will be looking for them, even after you've fixed them. However, it will make your car pass the "3 foot" rule with you (heck, even 1 foot, it's really hard to notice the chips unless I'm actively looking for them up close) and it will hide the chips 100% from other people. My wife couldnt find any of the chips after I repaired them.

So Dr. Colorchip is not a solution if you want all your stone chips 100% perfectly repaired, but is a great and easy way to make them reasonably invisible.

I am very happy with the product and the results.

x2martell24 06-04-2011 04:34 PM

This is a fantastic review...........because I just order this yesterday!! I am so pleased it works well. I was so bummed about all of the little (unnoticable to everyone else) chips in my beautiful yellow paint!!
You just made my weekend!!

NSCRFN3 06-04-2011 04:50 PM

I just saw this on tv yesterday and was wondering how it worked. As we all know the paint on these cars sucks so I too have been looking for something to hide all the chips. Thanks for posting this review I now feel more comfortable trying this.

NicksVSix 06-04-2011 08:41 PM

No problem guys. I just wish the pics turned out better. There is one I will post...it's an "after" pic of a stone chip. I think it might give an idea of what the end result is. I'll put it up here in a few minutes.

Like I said, just follow the directions included in the kit and you can't go wrong. It's really just that simple!

(EDIT: sorry, the repaired stone chip was hidden by the image of a tree reflecting off my paint/clear coat.)

NSCRFN3 06-05-2011 08:37 PM

What color paint are you working with black?

IronMike 06-05-2011 08:43 PM

You have to smear the paint all over the chips?, does it leave smudge marks on your paint? Can you see where your finger dabbed the paint on, seems like I would make my shiny paint worse doin this...

Mr_Draco 06-06-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMike (Post 3304008)
You have to smear the paint all over the chips?, does it leave smudge marks on your paint? Can you see where your finger dabbed the paint on, seems like I would make my shiny paint worse doin this...

If you follow their instructions, you won't be able to tell.

steallife904 06-06-2011 09:49 AM

can you help me on this? i have been thinking about ordering the kit for 1 spot i got on my car. some how on the highway a rock or something hit my trunk lid. it left a nick about the size of a sharpe marker dot. and it seems somewhat of a deep nick. do you think this will fix it???????? also my car is IOM not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Jimbabwe 06-06-2011 12:20 PM

Nice review.
Regarding the last comment about wanting the chip repaired 100%, what other methods are there? Would a built up layer using Langka be better?

NicksVSix 06-07-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSCRFN3 (Post 3303971)
What color paint are you working with black?

Yup, black. Color code 8555.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMike (Post 3304008)

Yeah, you gotta smear the paint with the side of your thumb after applying it with the brush. Flattens it out and pushes the paint into the chip. The excess smeared paint goes away completely with the solution they provide and it doesn't affect your clear coat or existing paint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steallife904 (Post 3305604)
can you help me on this? i have been thinking about ordering the kit for 1 spot i got on my car. some how on the highway a rock or something hit my trunk lid. it left a nick about the size of a sharpe marker dot. and it seems somewhat of a deep nick. do you think this will fix it???????? also my car is IOM not sure if that makes a difference or not.

The size of the chip doesn't seem too big, but not sure about the depth. AsI said in my "review" I can still see the "indent" of a few chips that went down to metal, but you can't see them from more than 2 feet. It's not a solution if you're looking for 100% perfect repairs to your stone chips. but it does a damned fine job of making them very unnoticeable.

Viral 06-13-2011 02:44 PM

I just used the Dr Colorchip system on my wife's 2007 Acadia and it was very impressive. Like others have said, it won't fill it the indention, but it color matches the chip with the paint very well and makes it look MUCH better than before. on very small rock chips (the size of a ball point pen tip, for example), they basically completely disappear. The biggest chip she had was about the size of my pinky fingernail. It required multiple coats, but after the second one, it too was 95% better. You wouldn't even know it was there from 2-3 feet away.

The process "seems" like you're doing more damage than good at first, but just trust the process and see it through. After applying and smearing the paint, you wait 5-10 minutes for it to dry, then you wipe off the mess with their included chemical treatment. the paint on any clearcoat wipes off and the paint left in the chip and on bare metal stays put, leaving a perfectly clean paintjob with a repaired, color-matched chip.

I took some before and after pics, so I'll try to post them soon, although it's difficult to make them out sometimes (it's a dark gray Acadia, similar to Cyber Gray Metallic).

Trevorw24 09-09-2012 09:47 PM

I just ordered for my Black LS. I hope it works :)

ChadG 09-10-2012 10:03 PM

Let me know how it works for you, the Langka system wasn't exactly easy to use.