Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Seafoam how-to with vids (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137902)

CamaroSpike23 03-30-2011 08:43 AM

Seafoam how-to with vids

and a follow up

test vehicle 2006 Silverado 2500HD with a 6.0

full writeup here: http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/how-to...arbon-buildup/

and for a video of how bad a car can smoke after the vacuum line portion is done...

http://www.myspace.com/video/camaros...rnout/10631047

garcmol 03-30-2011 09:29 AM

Nice, I did this on my '06 Colorado. Thought I broke something when I saw the smoke! Runs like new now.

IrocJack 03-30-2011 10:36 AM

That was alot to take in, but very infomative. I have a '02 Silverado 1500 that is getting ready roll over 250,000 miles. Think I will do this when it's oil changing time.
Is that SeaFoam available @ parts stores? (Advance,Pep Boys, etc)

garcmol 03-30-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrocJack (Post 3029681)
That was alot to take in, but very infomative. I have a '02 Silverado 1500 that is getting ready roll over 250,000 miles. Think I will do this when it's oil changing time.

I got it at Auto Zone, but sure all you mentioned have it as well.

CamaroSpike23 03-30-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrocJack (Post 3029681)

I got it at Autozone for $8.99 a can IIRC
Quote:

Originally Posted by garcmol (Post 3029744)
I got it at Auto Zone, but sure all you mentioned have it as well.

yup.

also something to keep in mind. if you have an autozone card that accrues points for your purchases, be aware of how your points accumulate.

they tell you that you gain points for every $20.00 purchase you make.

however, they dont tell you that if you buy $100.00 worth of stuff, you dont get 5 points. just one. so stand to reason that if you are buying $80.00 worth of oil and supplies, to buy them all in groups so you can get max points.

well, as it turns out, you only get one point for every $20.00 purchase for every 24 hour period.... :facepalm:

so to maximize your points, buy the seafoam on one day, go back, buy a couple quarts of oil the next day, then some more the day after that and continue till you have all your supplies and you have gotten all of your points.

Scott@Bjorn3D 03-30-2011 01:37 PM

PQ, notice how Spike does not cuss when working on his car.:sm0:

PQ 03-30-2011 01:53 PM

:rolleyes:

CamaroSpike23 03-30-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 3030668)
PQ, notice how Spike does not cuss when working on his car.:sm0:

dont need to... anymore. you can ask PQ. years back (when he called me frequently and actually listened to my advice...lol) he asked me where I learned the stuff I know.

I told him that I have F'ed up plenty of things in my life (mostly my own cars), trying new things and "making things work" in a desolate location or when I was out of money. plenty of cussing back then.

there was one part where I did cuss a little, but I re-shot the vid.

basically, I went stupid for about a minute and was about to pull the oil filter off before draining the pan. yeah. thankfully I caught myself before continuing.

PQ 03-30-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 3030764)
dont need to... anymore. you can ask PQ. years back (when he called me frequently and actually listened to my advice...lol) he asked me where I learned the stuff I know.

I told him that I have F'ed up plenty of things in my life (mostly my own cars), trying new things and "making things work" in a desolate location or when I was out of money. plenty of cussing back then.

there was one part where I did cuss a little, but I re-shot the vid.

basically, I went stupid for about a minute and was about to pull the oil filter off before draining the pan. yeah. thankfully I caught myself before continuing.

:laugh:

I may go ahead and seafoam mine before the fest. Long drive.

But I"m gonna cuss while I do. :bellyroll:

BTW, me and Bonnie was laughing at your sig. The quote from BowtieGuy...... LMAO

CamaroSpike23 03-30-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 3030779)
:laugh:

I may go ahead and seafoam mine before the fest. Long drive.

But I"m gonna cuss while I do. :bellyroll:

BTW, me and Bonnie was laughing at your sig. The quote from BowtieGuy...... LMAO

make sure you video tape each step of the process. especially the "spirited drive portion... altho, you'll have to be careful doing the intake portion of it.

and BowtieGuy said that a long time ago... go check the Random Quote thread. or click the arrow on the quote

PQ 03-30-2011 02:46 PM

Dude, was that ringtone the BeeGees??? :bellyroll:

CamaroSpike23 03-30-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 3030986)
Dude, was that ringtone the BeeGees??? :bellyroll:

I have no idea. just a random one. you should hear my text notification

IrocJack 04-01-2011 06:30 AM

I was wondering if I should do this before adding a catch can to my Camaro ? Now with less than 5,000 miles, I wonder if it's really needed ? Any thoughts on this ?
Thanks,

garcmol 04-01-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrocJack (Post 3039356)
I was wondering if I should do this before adding a catch can to my Camaro ? Now with less than 5,000 miles, I wonder if it's really needed ? Any thoughts on this ?
Thanks,

Just went over 10,000 miles in mine and haven't done it yet. It won't hurt it. You can really notice the difference though on an older vehicle with high mileage.