Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   BMR 2010 Camaro with a TH400 transmission! (pictures inside) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103418)

BMR Sales 08-31-2010 10:49 AM

BMR 2010 Camaro with a TH400 transmission! (pictures inside)

3 Attachment(s)
We have been doing quite a bit of work with our 2010 Camaro getting it ready for for the Holley LS Fest and the LSX Shootout. We have had this transmission installed quite a while now we have just been trying to work out some details with the car before we posted anything. We will be building crossmembers to install TH400's in these cars, the one on this car is a prototype we built that incorporates a driveshaft loop for our one piece 3.5" aluminum driveshaft. The TH400 uses a 4200 PTC converter and has a trans break which we have yet to use, but should be fun. If you guys have any questions let me know. Here are some pics for your viewing.

Kyle

Hendrix-Engineering 08-31-2010 03:49 PM

Looks Great,engine details?

BMR Sales 09-02-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering (Post 2282434)
Looks Great,engine details?

Stock LS3 with a TVS 2300 blower with with 3.0" pulley and Kooks longtubes mated to a Magnaflow 3" catback. A pretty basic setup, but we have much more in store for the car. We concentrated mainly on the suspension and chassis stuff on the car.

VADER SS L99 09-03-2010 12:44 AM

Im sorry but I just have to ask. Why do this? Is it the weight savings? I hope its not just for strength because with time I think this trans could be one of the strongest yet with the right internal upgrades. Then as a bonus you get a very low first gear and each gear afterwards is closely matched. Another bonus is you can drive it on the highway without the revs shooting to the moon. I dont know if a trans brake has been made for this but I bet its possible so I just dont see any positives over the 6L80e. Maybe you can explain them because the only one I see is weight savings for the most hard core of drag racers. You could never tune a TH400 to your liking either.

BMR Sales 09-03-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 (Post 2292123)
Im sorry but I just have to ask. Why do this? Is it the weight savings? I hope its not just for strength because with time I think this trans could be one of the strongest yet with the right internal upgrades. Then as a bonus you get a very low first gear and each gear afterwards is closely matched. Another bonus is you can drive it on the highway without the revs shooting to the moon. I dont know if a trans brake has been made for this but I bet its possible so I just dont see any positives over the 6L80e. Maybe you can explain them because the only one I see is weight savings for the most hard core of drag racers. You could never tune a TH400 to your liking either.

We did it mainly for testing purposes, our car came with the 6 speed manual transmission which is great for when we are doing handling stuff but is terrible for when we are testing drag race stuff. We need to push our parts as hard as we can so we need to have the parts that will allow us to do it. We change back and forth between the TH400 and the 6 speed manual transmission depending on what we are doing with the car. One of the fastest if not the fastest 2010 Camnaro drag race wise is running a TH400 also. We actually drive this car quite a bit when the TH400 is in it. With a manual/reverse manual valve body we can shift when we want so the lack of tuning makes no difference to me. This setup is definitely not for everyone and we are not saying that it is, we are just showing what we did to test our parts to the best of our abilities so we can push the car/parts as hard as we need to.

I can tell you we just ran the car last night on a poorly prepped track and it ran a 11.08 at 122 with a 1.56 60ft. With good air and a decent track we will be able to run the car and produce some better times. The car is a full weight car that weights about 4000lbs without the driver. The TH400 works and works well for drag racing which was one of our main concerns.

VADER SS L99 09-03-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR Sales (Post 2292851)
We did it mainly for testing purposes, our car came with the 6 speed manual transmission which is great for when we are doing handling stuff but is terrible for when we are testing drag race stuff. We need to push our parts as hard as we can so we need to have the parts that will allow us to do it. We change back and forth between the TH400 and the 6 speed manual transmission depending on what we are doing with the car. One of the fastest if not the fastest 2010 Camnaro drag race wise is running a TH400 also. We actually drive this car quite a bit when the TH400 is in it. With a manual/reverse manual valve body we can shift when we want so the lack of tuning makes no difference to me. This setup is definitely not for everyone and we are not saying that it is, we are just showing what we did to test our parts to the best of our abilities so we can push the car/parts as hard as we need to.

I can tell you we just ran the car last night on a poorly prepped track and it ran a 11.08 at 122 with a 1.56 60ft. With good air and a decent track we will be able to run the car and produce some better times. The car is a full weight car that weights about 4000lbs without the driver. The TH400 works and works well for drag racing which was one of our main concerns.

The fastest LS powered 5th gen in the country is using the Stock 6L80E with beefed up internals. That car runs mid nines with it and has 1000RWHP through the 6 speed auto trans.

2010 SSRS 09-03-2010 11:19 PM

TH400 :thumbup:

GFORCE1320 09-07-2010 07:46 AM

Looks great guys!

I like that crossmemeber! When do you think it'll be ready to hit the market? Will it also work with the 4L80? I have some customers using the 4L80 that might be interested in a crossmember.

Thanks
Chris

BMR Sales 09-09-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 (Post 2295348)
The fastest LS powered 5th gen in the country is using the Stock 6L80E with beefed up internals. That car runs mid nines with it and has 1000RWHP through the 6 speed auto trans.

There is one that has gone quite fast in the 1/8 mile. I will let him post his numbers if he would like but it is as fast if not faster then the car you are talking about which is more than likely the LMR car. Our car came with a manual transmission so it wasn't an option for us. Plus the longevity of the 6L80E with a heavy car and lots of power will be an issue down the road.

BMR Sales 09-09-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFORCE1320 (Post 2304339)
Looks great guys!

I like that crossmemeber! When do you think it'll be ready to hit the market? Will it also work with the 4L80? I have some customers using the 4L80 that might be interested in a crossmember.

Thanks
Chris

I am sure we can make one up for him without too much problem. I will talk to you about up at the LS Fest in Bowling Green.

bigrob301 03-27-2011 11:31 PM

TH400

Is this th400 mod for sale. I sure would like to get rid of this 1-2 gear grinding tr6060 for a real tranny:D

DietCoke 08-11-2011 06:56 AM

bump

BMR Sales 08-11-2011 10:49 AM

If any of you guys have specific questions on this setup and what needs to be done don't hesitate to ask. It seems that the TH400 swap may be gaining some interest as of late.

PoleCat2SSRS2010 08-11-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 (Post 2292123)

The TH400 is rugged to say the least and has been proven over many years behind all kinds of big block applications AND all brands for high horsepower. In fact there is a over-drive application unit from Gear Vendors that won't suffer from the massive torque and still get you some more mpgs than the three speed. Not installed in the BMR car but it can be done. The only big difference is the sacrifice of the lock up converter that the TH400 doesn't use. There is a plethora of after market support and a safety bell housing available. The list goes on and on for the advantages but the trans brake is the major winner. It REALLY makes for some killer 60 foot times. Time for wheel stands and more chassis reinforcement.

I think I see a 8 inch coverter in there that should be good for est 4500 stall. A reliable combined force to be reconned with to say the least.

The LMR car BTW was converted to a TH400 about a year ago for the October LSX shootout. No longer technically qualified as the fastest A6. Current status is unkown.