Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Mods (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526936)

firehead 04-23-2018 01:37 PM

Mods

I'm currently working on installing some kooks headers, a FAST intake manifold, and a 102mm Throttle body from Nick Williams. Out of curiosity, will my stock transmission be able to handle the increase the new torque output? The only other mod that is on this vehicle is a Borla Atak exhaust and a cold air intake from CAI. I'm fairly new to modding so I don't want to screw it up. :thanks:

2014white2ssrs1le 04-23-2018 02:57 PM

Should be fine...some guys have said their stock clutch worked fine up to around 600rwtq

firehead 04-24-2018 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014white2ssrs1le (Post 10159444)
Should be fine...some guys have said their stock clutch worked fine up to around 600rwtq

Awesome, I was just looking around on the chevy perfomance site and saw that the stock trans was technically only rated for 440 ft/lbs of torque. I don't exactly want to be replacing that yet!

Olddudesrule 04-24-2018 08:21 AM

Absolutely.....If you treat the trans/clutch right, it will last a long time. You can kill the clutch with stock power if you really wanted to.

firehead 04-25-2018 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olddudesrule (Post 10160256)
Absolutely.....If you treat the trans/clutch right, it will last a long time. You can kill the clutch with stock power if you really wanted to.

Very true

Andoskyy 04-25-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firehead (Post 10159324)
I'm currently working on installing some kooks headers, a FAST intake manifold, and a 102mm Throttle body from Nick Williams. Out of curiosity, will my stock transmission be able to handle the increase the new torque output? The only other mod that is on this vehicle is a Borla Atak exhaust and a cold air intake from CAI. I'm fairly new to modding so I don't want to screw it up. :thanks:

If you're not getting a tune, your mods are likely to decrease your HP anyway.

I have essentially all available bolt-ons and have 402hp at the wheels, about a 30-40hp gain over stock and no issues.

PapaKlutch 04-26-2018 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firehead (Post 10159324)
I'm currently working on installing some Kooks headers, a FAST intake manifold, and a 102mm Throttle body from Nick Williams. Out of curiosity, will my stock transmission be able to handle the increase the new torque output? The only other mod that is on this vehicle is a Borla Atak exhaust and a cold air intake from CAI. I'm fairly new to modding so I don't want to screw it up. :thanks:

Clutch n trans will handle that fine. The NW102 n FAST IM won't give you much rwhp on a stock displacement/compression LS3; especially with a stock cam. You'll gain far more power with a cam upgrade than the 102/IM pairing. As mentioned, you'll need a tune after the parts are installed to get the full benefit.

firehead 05-21-2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andoskyy (Post 10161646)
If you're not getting a tune, your mods are likely to decrease your HP anyway.

I have essentially all available bolt-ons and have 402hp at the wheels, about a 30-40hp gain over stock and no issues.

Well that's a given, I've done enough research to know that it needs to be tuned after putting the mods on.

J Rod 05-21-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaKlutch (Post 10163007)
Clutch n trans will handle that fine. The NW102 n FAST IM won't give you much rwhp on a stock displacement/compression LS3; especially with a stock cam. You'll gain far more power with a cam upgrade than the 102/IM pairing. As mentioned, you'll need a tune after the parts are installed to get the full benefit.

I agree with this. LTs, CAI, catch can, ported stock TB, and a tune are all I plan to do until I can come with the money (and balls) to do heads/cam. Anything else is just not worth the money until then IMO.

firehead 05-21-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Rod (Post 10192336)
I agree with this. LTs, CAI, catch can, ported stock TB, and a tune are all I plan to do until I can come with the money (and balls) to do heads/cam. Anything else is just not worth the money until then IMO.

I'm hoping to do the cam and heads next winter, I've heard the cam is pretty easy, but as a novice, that may not be the case.