Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Any hints on how to remove nuts from inside trunk lid? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88444)

OHIOSS 06-08-2010 09:45 PM

Any hints on how to remove nuts from inside trunk lid?

I opened my trunk for the first time in months and heard something rattling around. I immediatly suspected a spoiler nut had come loose so I removed the rubber nut covers and found that not only 1 spoiler nut had some loose, there are 2 of them rattling around inside of the trunk lid. I can hear them moving when I raise the trunk lid up and down but I can't see them.

Obviously the car is still under warranty but I hate to take it in for something like this. I have no problem replacing the nuts but I don't know what size they are, but I hate the sound of the nuts rolling around inside of the trunk lid and I want them out.

Would you guys remove the trunk lid completely and try to get the nuts out yourself, or would you simply take it to the dealer and let them deal with it? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get them out without removing the trunk lid?

Russ

motorhead 06-08-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker (Post 1961961)
I opened my trunk for the first time in months and heard something rattling around. I immediatly suspected a spoiler nut had come loose so I removed the rubber nut covers and found that not only 1 spoiler nut had some loose, there are 2 of them rattling around inside of the trunk lid. I can hear them moving when I raise the trunk lid up and down but I can't see them.

Obviously the car is still under warranty but I hate to take it in for something like this. I have no problem replacing the nuts but I don't know what size they are, but I hate the sound of the nuts rolling around inside of the trunk lid and I want them out.

Would you guys remove the trunk lid completely and try to get the nuts out yourself, or would you simply take it to the dealer and let them deal with it? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get them out without removing the trunk lid?

Russ

I took mine in for this problem. A problem is a problem no matter how small it's their job to fix it. They had to remove my trunk lid to get them out of mine. If they scratch it they pay. If you scratch it you pay.

2Fast4Mu 06-08-2010 10:09 PM

I did exactly the same. They said it was a common problem and they were happy to work on it. It only took a few minutes.

Steve Dallas 06-08-2010 10:10 PM

Most people haven't figured out how to get Shunt out of the trunk...

slick rick 06-08-2010 10:20 PM

Remove trunk lid cover and use a magnet on a stick to remove nut(s).

CanadianCamaro 06-08-2010 10:26 PM

Strong magnet and a polish rag. Remove the lid liner, locate the nuts, place the magnet on underside of lid surface with polish rag between the magnet and the painted surface, slowly pull the magnet along the surface to an openning. The nut should come along for the ride. I used a micro mag light flash light and a small inspection mirror to look down inside the trunk lid while doing this to see if I had picked up the nut.

fireresq157 06-08-2010 10:30 PM

Service departments are starving for work any work if you want to help your local economy take it in that's what they are there for.

gotroost 06-08-2010 11:12 PM

If you have enough room to fish it in, a pick up tool (Craftsman PN 00941322000) with a magnetic bit from a socket holder (or strong magnet) might grab it. I've use this setup several time to retrieve bolts, washers, etc.

TahoeCamaro 06-08-2010 11:20 PM

The name of this thread... :bellyroll:

bluch 06-08-2010 11:35 PM

remove the carpet covering. i did that, and when i drove to the store to buy a telescoping magnet and back home, they had both fallen out and into the trunk :thumbup:

Doc 06-09-2010 12:26 AM

There's actually a service bulletin about this so it's covered under warranty. Take it to your dealer; they should have sent you the recall on it but obviously didn't.

cterry 06-09-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeCamaro (Post 1962321)
The name of this thread... :bellyroll:

:laughabove:

lwlkr92 06-09-2010 03:14 AM

Open trunk first, remove affected organs, call 911. I think we got a bleeder here. Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Anyone know if this only a problem on early runs or not?

2010IBMSS 06-09-2010 06:09 AM

so, would you all recommend some thread locker on the nuts as a preventive measure? not a lot of thread locker, just enough so they won't come loose?