Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Those WITHOUT the Halos? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39252)

SQUALO 08-26-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentley78 (Post 845103)
A few reasons i got the 2SS NO RS

1. halogen will match the fog/day time lights

2. they help keep the muscle look rather than European/import HIDs

3. dont need the midnight wheels, getting aftermarket Billet soon

4. getting custom tint on brake lights and reverse

Everyone raves about the HIDs and they do look neat, just not for me, saving the 1200 for other goodies!!

:word: I agree with all of the above. The RS package is well worth it if you're getting an LT, becuase the RS package dresses up the car. On ANY SS, NOT WORTH THE MONEY, just for Halo's? If you want bright lights, it's cheaper to get halo's installed aftermarket for a 1/4 of the price. Your other option, if you want brighter lights, is to buy the high intensity bulbs.
I totally agree that the Halogens give the car the original muslcle car look of the past era.

VenomZ302 08-26-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SQUALO (Post 845772)
On ANY SS, NOT WORTH THE MONEY

Sorry, have to disagree with you there. The tail lamps are pretty easily distinguishable if you know what you're looking for (I GREATLY prefer them to the non-SS lamps), the halos/HIDs alone would cost you $1200 (as has been discussed and verified previously), you get the roof ditch molding painted to match the body (don't particularly care about this, myself) and you get the Midnight Silver wheels (which I ADORE).

To each his own, but I'm 100% satisfied with the price and the upgrades that come with the RS package. Although, technically, I didn't pay $1200 for my RS package...

WadeWilson 08-26-2009 10:43 AM

I personally like the roof ditch molding painted to match, darker tail lamps and LOVE the Halos. The wheels I didn't care for but I thought it was worth the $1,200.

glambert1 08-26-2009 10:52 AM

cmon guys, you know your just trying to make yourself feel good , you know the halos rock . Halo guys, back me up here...
P.S. I'm not being serious ,just trying to get some halo lovers to respond cars without halos look great too.

caverman 08-26-2009 10:57 AM

At a 5th gen meet there was an RS and non-RS side by side. I went to look at the tail lights and yes you can see the slight diff when side by side but if if wasn't that way I don't think many would notice. Again would I like the darker tail ligts....probably....if it didn't cost any different.

The ditch molding...not an issue with me. I thought I read that it seems as though GM just painted over the top of the rubber. If that's the case I would think that over time that will become and issue. Not sure?

Wheels....as of now I plan on going with Polished Wheels so again (in theory) I would be paying for an option (RS = Midnight Silver upgrade) that I would then have to turn around and pay additional for the polished wheels ($495 upgrade). Midnight Silver wheels would then be meanigless in the RS pkg.

I did however originally ask the question because I'm 85% sure I'll not get the RS but every now and then I think....should I? I hope I don't wish I had it down the road.

Gentry78 08-26-2009 11:03 AM

put it this way i will never go back to halogen

i would have got HID projectors on my car no matter if it came with the cool little halo ring or not

Gentry78 08-26-2009 11:06 AM

not 100% on this but i believe if you get the polish wheels you get a discount on the RS package to take off the price of the MS painted wheels

ffrcobra_65 08-26-2009 11:09 AM

this is another one of those threads...

Bottom line is, everyone has a different taste. You don't like halos, I like them. No big deal. I respect your choice but there is no need for bashing one way or another. Also, it is misleading to noobs when they come across this post as some of you are saying halos cost $1200. You don't pay $1200 for the halos, you pay $1200 for the entire RS package on a SS. Having the RS or as many available options on the car will net more in the long run (car resale value wise) compared to less-optioned car.

jpsuperman81 08-26-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gentry78 (Post 846127)
not 100% on this but i believe if you get the polish wheels you get a discount on the RS package to take off the price of the MS painted wheels

Not even close RS is same price regardless and the polished wheels are an extra fee. Only thing that affects RS package price is the trim level you start with.

camdaddy 08-26-2009 11:14 AM

I ordered a 2LT without the RS package simply because I did not want the summer tires on two different sized wheels. I prefer to rotate tires and maybe even drive it after the weather gets cold here in Michigan. (Dry roads only). As far as the lights are concerned, I think GM should have offered the RS package at a lower cost without changing the stock tires on the 2LT. Summer tires should have been a separate option. I would have gotten the RS package with the HID Halos if it had been available that way, but I think the look without them will be great. I've never had HID's before so I probably won't miss what I've never had.

caverman 08-26-2009 11:21 AM

So far I don't think there has been any bashing.

I mostly wanted to hear from those that have the halogens to make sure that even though they won't be as bright as the HID are they're still happy enough with the decision to not buy the RS pkg for the HID. Sounds like most are.

And yes...of course the RS pkg is going to return you more money down the road. That's because you paid more money for the option in the first place. Just like a car that has a sunroof option. Down the road you are going to get more for the car but thats mostly because it cost you more initially.

No bashing please.....both options are great. I'm just slightly on the fence as to which way to go. I'm leaning towards the halogens to save me the $$$.

jimfin 08-26-2009 01:06 PM

I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glambert1 (Post 846062)
cmon guys, you know your just trying to make yourself feel good , you know the halos rock . Halo guys, back me up here...
P.S. I'm not being serious ,just trying to get some halo lovers to respond cars without halos look great too.

It sounds like those that did not get the RS Package are regretting it. I have it, but originally when i placed my first order it didn't. I'm very happy with it and to tell you the truth had I stayed with my original plan and not have gotten it I would have bought them aftermarket. One for the looks and two for the quality in lighting. Either way you can't go wrong because this car kicks butt!! For those of you how didn't get it and have the extra cash, go out and get an CAI and upgrade the exhaust. That I can tell you, you will not regret doing.

O2BQIK 08-26-2009 02:12 PM

Non-RS here. I feel like I can see very well at night; plenty of light from the regular headlights. I have not driven an RS car so I can't compare directly, but I can tell you I have never thought to myself, "I wish I had spent an extra $1200 so that I could have better light at night." Never been an issue. From my point of view it was a cosmetic decision. I do like the look of the lights, but I had to cut costs somewhere to keep my wife from killing me, so that was it :)

Rtoups 08-26-2009 02:20 PM

I ordered non-RS simply because I don't need the spoiler, rims, or that badge. But I am getting HALOS aftermarket.