Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dont know what to do (V6 or V8) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92642)

FutureCamaroOwner 06-30-2010 08:32 PM

Dont know what to do (V6 or V8)

Ok fellow camaro enthusiasts I am torn right now. I have been working all this overtime to save for the camaro. I'm 23 and currently drive a car that has 194000 miles on it. (the motor smokes after long drives.White smoke)
:mad0259: Any who I could order a LS right now and be perfectly happy because the camaro is a amazing machine. Or I wait like 4 months and order a SS. I mean this will be my first auto loan so I am looking for some pointers from you guys. Things I like about the LS is I can build it my way and with the SS I love the raw power. What do you guys think. All comments welcome. Decisions........decisions.

slick rick 06-30-2010 08:33 PM

1SS

Gigachip 06-30-2010 08:37 PM

if engine is that bad, maybe the wait for a SS isnt worth it. and you should get a new car sooner so you can be safe
idk just a thought of safety over power in that case :iono:

SSOOCH 06-30-2010 08:37 PM

If you can afford the SS (don't forget insurance and gas) then do it!!

menendez1293 06-30-2010 08:39 PM

if power doesnt mean that much to you go with the V6. I wanted an SS but that didnt happen but i am more than happy with my RS

bxmlmm 06-30-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureCamaroOwner (Post 2046527)
Ok fellow camaro enthusiasts I am torn right now. I have been working all this overtime to save for the camaro. I'm 23 and currently drive a car that has 194000 miles on it. (the motor smokes after long drives.White smoke)
:mad0259: Any who I could order a LS right now and be perfectly happy because the camaro is a amazing machine. Or I wait like 4 months and order a SS. I mean this will be my first auto loan so I am looking for some pointers from you guys. Things I like about the LS is I can build it my way and with the SS I love the raw power. What do you guys think. All comments welcome. Decisions........decisions.

IF money is no object then 1ss or 2ss is a million times better. I test drove both and made up my mind as I took off in first gear in the ss. Then you add a catback system and you'll never look back! :thumbup:

Camaro21 06-30-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSOOCH (Post 2046551)
If you can afford the SS (don't forget insurance and gas) then do it!!

+1

skuttduck 06-30-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Put as much down as you can on the car to lower your payment.

Anyhow, there are some things I didn't like about the LS, which led me to get the 2LT. No Fog lights, no RJT, no sunroof, and no Rally Sport (Halos).

The V6 is very impressive by the way, and anyone that puts you down is jealous that the V6 has so much power for a V6. Not to mention it is lighter :)

Now then if you go with the V6, I'd recommend either getting a 2LT with or without RS, or a 1LT RS or 19" wheel upgrade to give you maximum potential and a max speed of limit of 155.

The LS or the 1LT without wheel upgrade can be driven year round if they come with the all season tires. All v8 models require the purchase of winter or all season tires. I went through the same thing on my 2LT though.

alanmeyer 06-30-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

... I'm 23 and currently drive a car that has 194000 miles on it. ...

:mad0259: Any who I could order a LS right now and be perfectly happy because the camaro is a amazing machine.

The 6 is an amazing Camaro and given that you're 23, I would recommend that you save the cost of the car, gas, and insurance and get the LS. Use the $$ you save for your first home or let it go towards retirement.

Either way, enjoy!!

RubyCamaro 06-30-2010 08:51 PM

Depends on what you want in a car. If you want a thoroughly fun, powerful, head truning, perma-grin producing machine, for daily driving - you will totally love a V6. If you feel the need for the occasional safe location/closed course race, want to enter shows, want super performance & raw power then for sure hold out for the V8. I could not love my car more & definately did not have a need for the V8. Most of all, seriously consider your needs/wants in the auto of your desires & your realistic budget in these uncertain times. As my son told me "don't settle", get what you really want. Drive them both (and anything else you think there is any chance you might want -go ahead just so you're sure; you won't change your mind) think it through carefully & then enjoy your Camaro. :happyanim:

2010 SSRS 06-30-2010 08:55 PM

wait and get the SS, it will be well worth the wait, there is nothing better than be able to say that you are the owner of a Brand new SS Camaro, I love saying it all of the time :)

BackinBlackSS/RS 06-30-2010 09:05 PM

If your asking which one, it would seem that you want the SS. Financially I don't know if the SS is good for you. BUT, if you don't get the SS, do you see yourself at any point saying "Dammit, I should have gotten the SS"? If that is something that could happen, I would get the SS, or wait until you can get the SS. Personally I love the LS. Great power at a great price and you can slowly add go fast goodies as your budget allows. 100 shot of NOS and your running with the SS's or faster. Right Rod1? :headbang:

jackka 06-30-2010 09:12 PM

I personally found my happy medium in the 2LT. Ordered a 2011 about a month ago and the order was produced at the factory today actually :)

I am not going to take my car to the racetrack, so SS was unnecessary. I test drove the V6 and it was more than enough for me. Not only do you save money buying the v6, you save money because you are filling regular unleaded, less often than the v8. It's common for people to get 30+mpg with the v6 and that mpg is furthur improved should you decide to get a cold air intake or exhaust mod.

for around 31,000 dollars including tax, I get a v6 with leather seats, HUD, premium audio, sunroof , RS package and all the little features.

If you are buying one that is already built and on the lot, I recommend that you visit the dealership on the last day of the month. Sales managers are really anxious to sell more cars on that last day and will go to somewhat extreme measures to make sure you sign that paper that day. Just tell them that you will sign the papers today if you can get invoice pricing.(ask to see the invoice and the "310 price" on it) If they give it to you for the "310 price"+tax+registration, you've got yourself a good deal. My dealer gave it to me for 310 price+tax+registration+$292 dealer fee-$750 USAA discount. I probably could have gotten rid of the dealer fee if I fought for it, but it's still a good deal considering it's a 2011, not a 2010 on the lot. If you are firm about your invoice pricing and proceed to walk out the door when they don't want to give it to you, chances are they will either grab you before you reach the door or call you before you get home. Remember that, despite what they tell you, the dealership is still making enough money when they sell at invoice(310 price).

firefighterEMT33 06-30-2010 09:14 PM

Go for the SS. I thought that I would be happy with the V6 and started looking into the SS after only 500 miles. I don't know what your driving record is like, but insurance and gas isn't that much more. About $10 a month for insurance and maybe $10-$15 a month for gas. I loved my 2LT, but man, the SS is an absolute monster.

Also, I could care less about what people think of my car, but hearing the constant "Should have got the V8" or, "That's not a muscle car" got really irritating after a while. Then again, I'm a fireman and we tend to be a very critical and abrasive bunch...

Bottom line... Get the SS.