Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Having the stock SS rotors to be drilled and/or slotted (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171506)

JWoj3540 09-15-2011 11:54 AM

Having the stock SS rotors to be drilled and/or slotted

Are there places where you can take your stock rotors and they can actually drill and/or slot them for you? As opposed to buying new rotors that are already drilled/slotted, I imagine this is more cost effective, especially if the stock rotors are essentially brand new and you don't want to waste them.

Anyone know of some reputable places in the Detroit area that do this?

Thanks!

The Stig 09-15-2011 01:02 PM

I don't know enough about brakes to say this with confidence, but I don't think you can drill rotors after the fact.

JDP Tech 09-15-2011 01:18 PM

Yeah, idunno about doing it, the rotors are designed a certain way, when that way is changed after the fact, there are different stresses and weak points introduced.
It may very well lead to early failure, in a really bad way.
Plus, cross-drilled rotors aren't really good if you are often in heavy braking situations like the track, they often like to crack under hard usage.

mikeyroche 09-15-2011 06:48 PM

Would highly advise against that and just upgrade to drilled or slotted. I'd rather spend the money on other parts, but I want to make sure the brakes are perfectly sound and top performance. I'm upgrading to the Brembo Sport slotted and really the price isn't that bad

L99CAMA2011 09-15-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwoj3540 (Post 3757499)
Are there places where you can take your stock rotors and they can actually drill and/or slot them for you? As opposed to buying new rotors that are already drilled/slotted, I imagine this is more cost effective, especially if the stock rotors are essentially brand new and you don't want to waste them.

Anyone know of some reputable places in the Detroit area that do this?

Thanks!

From past experience I highly recommend you guys to stop being cheap and buy well engineered pre drilled rotors. Drilling plane face rotors will lead to cracking and warping. May look cool but not worth the consequences.

2quick 09-16-2011 06:57 AM

We sell stock rotors that have been slotted. Its is not recommended to drill them.

DarkneSS 09-16-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 (Post 3760267)
From past experience I highly recommend you guys to stop being cheap and buy well engineered pre drilled rotors. Drilling plane face rotors will lead to cracking and warping. May look cool but not worth the consequences.

Brakes are one of the last places you want to cut corners!

chevy 3 09-16-2011 09:35 AM

I don't think he new that you shouldn't do this. I REALY think he just needed to know if it was possible which it's not. Like it's been said you need new ones if you go drilled or slotted.

JWoj3540 09-16-2011 01:06 PM

I hear you guys loud and clear. Thanks for the knowledge.

Mike2ss 09-18-2011 01:33 PM

buy a set, they are not that expensive

BMR guy 09-19-2011 10:17 AM

There are companies like this that can drill or slot rotors:
http://www.brakewarehouse.com/rotor_...g_slotting.asp
It definitelycan be done but it has to be done correctly to prevent heat cracking. The ones that do it right know all the secrets and you end up paying almost what a new set costs (or more sometimes). Rotors that are specifically designed with gassing holes are vented differently and go through a different manufacturing process than a factory rotor so no matter how good the shop is, the rotor will never be as good as one designed this way. Companies like I listed above specialize in this mostly for obscure vehicles that don't have a large range of aftermarket suppliers. The new Camaro has so many options, I doubt you caould get it done cheaper than buying a set of drilled or slotted rotors.

JWoj3540 09-22-2011 07:22 PM

Thanks BMR guy...I figured someone had to be doing it