Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   California Duster? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348498)

skipinminn 03-20-2014 06:17 PM

California Duster?

Do you use this on your wrapped HOOD??

SS MPSTR 03-20-2014 06:23 PM

Yes. Just make sure you've seasoned the duster correctly.

GONIF 03-20-2014 06:34 PM

How about a French duster ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=fren...g&ved=0CEgQsAQ

JimE 03-20-2014 10:03 PM

Detail spray and a good towel.

KBsSS 03-21-2014 07:20 AM

:thumb:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimE (Post 7512302)
Detail spray and a good towel.

Mannsiam 03-21-2014 07:20 AM

French Tickler

1LE Captain 03-21-2014 09:45 AM

Only place I use Cali duster is the interior.

Never drag that bitch on your paint.

Quick detailer and microfiber for me.

menendez1293 03-21-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LE Captain (Post 7513282)
Never drag that bitch on your paint.

:word:

This is something that I had to learn the hard way...

SS MPSTR 03-21-2014 10:56 AM

Depends how you use it. It is a duster. If it isn't dust on your car, don't use it. I've used these for years on cars with way more expensive paint jobs and it isn't an issue - ever. Season the duster per instructions (wrapped in newspaper for a week), shake out, and use to remove the dry dust on your car.

bluBlud 03-21-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR (Post 7513448)
Depends how you use it. It is a duster. If it isn't dust on your car, don't use it. I've used these for years on cars with way more expensive paint jobs and it isn't an issue - ever. Season the duster per instructions (wrapped in newspaper for a week), shake out, and use to remove the dry dust on your car.

Pretty sure Junkman has a video on "proper" use.

1LE Captain 03-21-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluBlud (Post 7513539)
Pretty sure Junkman has a video on "proper" use.

Proper use is to leave it in the garage IMHO.

Not trying to start anything here but unless your car is perfectly waxed up ,super slick and protected with a recent coat of wax( or your polymer of choice) and you are dusting off the lightest softest dust and you car has zero dirt on top of the paint your chances of scratching the wax layer on the car or the clear coat itself is very high.

Hitting the car with Quick D and a micro fiber doesn't take that much time and you minimize the risk to the finish.

20 years ago the dusters were all the rage. Back then our cars used different different paint than today. Some of it's much better in ways, in others it's not. Low VOC crap clear coat doesn't do it for me but we have no other choices.

Todd@Autopia 03-21-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LE Captain (Post 7513670)

Not trying to start anything here but unless your car is perfectly waxed up ,super slick and protected with a recent coat of wax( or your polymer of choice) and you are dusting off the lightest softest dust and you car has zero dirt on top of the paint your chances of scratching the wax layer on the car or the clear coat itself is very high.

Hitting the car with Quick D and a micro fiber doesn't take that much time and you minimize the risk to the finish.

20 years ago the dusters were all the rage. Back then our cars used different different paint than today. Some of it's much better in ways, in others it's not. Low VOC crap clear coat doesn't do it for me but we have no other choices.

Couldn't agree more and had this argument several times.

Basically a duster is yarn and paraffin wax, it will scratch paint.
A quick detailer, or better yet, a waterless wash adds lubricity to the paint and microfiber is far more paint safe than yarn... It's not even close to which one provides more protection for your paint as your clean it.

ec1990 03-21-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LE Captain (Post 7513670)

Agreed, I say just wait until you can wash it. Quick detail for bugs and such, but avoiding unnecessarily touching your paint is better. You can't scratch it up by not touching it.

rjdapilmoto 03-21-2014 02:25 PM

I see some good valid points that have been expressed. And I've been using the Cali Duster for years. I just may have to discard it. Thanks, fellas!