Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Sports Lounge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Good God a 10min patch job is taking an hr: Daytona 500 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65753)

Ject 02-14-2010 05:23 PM

lol... whats all the white crap they used this go around to patch that seam for the 2nd time..?
Looks like they said F it and put some cement down.

ljustin293 02-14-2010 05:25 PM

lol I don't know what it is...I wonder if it will effect the cars at all??

well drivers are back in the cars again

ljustin293 02-14-2010 05:30 PM

epoxy is what it is

Ject 02-14-2010 05:30 PM

Pot hole the size of a medium pizza now has a patch the size of a car... lol

They must have gone with the theory.. hmm we filled a pot hole with a patch the size of the pot hole & it only lasted 30 some laps.. Lets make the patch bigger and get more laps out of it!

Seminole 02-14-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

You dare say that Nascar would put personal profits ahead of what good for the sport?
Perhaps I was unclear. Profits aren't the only consideration. Repaving the track doesn't necessarily make for better racing. See Edwards comments above.
The people who own NASCAR own Daytona. They're not going to
I'm sorry, no one (but you?) thinks that taking a race away from Daytona is 'good for the sport'. And some drivers (and the fans who watch) disagree with your assessment of repaving a track every five years as 'good for the sport'.
Since the paving lasted 30 years, perhaps repaving every five to ten years is really only good for paving companies.

Quote:

With all the time wasted, a local company could of brought in some hot patch, like they do one roads. It sticks very well. though can be soft for heavy loads.
I wonder how much force a 3500lbs stock car puts on 31' degrees of bank at 190mph (1500lbs of extra downforce from aero as well)... Anyone know the radius of turns 1-2?

TheCaptain 02-14-2010 07:06 PM

Aww, that sucks Jimmie's car broke the axle... he was my pick to win. :D

Well, truth be told, he's my pick to win every week! :D

bouncertime 02-14-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCaptain (Post 1482644)
Aww, that sucks Jimmie's car broke the axle... he was my pick to win. :D

Well, truth be told, he's my pick to win every week! :D

Me too, He's been my driver since 2001.:chevy:

CamaroScotty 02-14-2010 09:44 PM

Drivers like it the way it is - or it will just become another Talladega.

KEEP ON PATCHIN'! ;)

bouncertime 02-14-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 1483111)
Drivers like it the way it is - or it will just become another Talladega.

KEEP ON PATCHIN'! ;)

The reporter told Carl Edwards during one of the Red Flags that they are repaving Daytona next year.

masterofpuppets 02-14-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 1482080)
I'll bet the track is paved before next years 500. This has to be pretty embarrassing for the speedway.

Hell, It'll be paved for the 400 in summer I bet. The bumps in the turns have been bad for years.

Really happy to see Jamie win. Good to see someone other then a robot in victory lane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwlKioAbwc

Miss Sprint Cup's reactions are PRICELESS! And I think the "tonight we're gonna have a Big Mac" comment is going to go up there on the list of most memorable Daytona quotes. I'm a HUGE Jr fan but I'm pretty happy with the end of this one.

2ndgenz28 02-14-2010 10:56 PM

Just have free n beer n food aviable to the paving team, and it will be all wavy but sitll new ;)

"prima"Donna 02-14-2010 11:07 PM

Way 2 Go Jamie Mac!!!....:thumbup:

I was so happy for him and also for Dale Jr finishing 2nd...:drinking:

and, that's even though 'my guy' is Jeff Gordon....good race and glad the season is off to a good start and NASCAR is back!!!...:headbang:

mickss 02-15-2010 11:14 AM

I think people are missing a few points concerning NASCAR tracks.
1. The reason they probably don`t repave tracks as often as people would think is because driver`s and the teams don`t want the "racing line/groove" changed.
If tracks were repaved every 10 or so years the teams would then have to throw out their old track set-up notes for that particular track and the drivers would have to re-learn the driving line.

2. As Seminole pointed out and I agree, ("Since the paving lasted 30 years, perhaps repaving every five to ten years is really only good for paving companies").

3. Daytona is one of the premier tracks in this country, you would think that track management would insure that it was ready for racing and avoided a nationally televised embarrassment.
They can run a Rolex 24 hour race without so much as a hic-up but a 500 mile race? :thumbdown:

UncleBenny 02-15-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 (Post 1481972)
Good God a 10min patch job is taking an hr: Daytona 500

Was shoock that they said the place hasn't been repaved since 1978.

Bunch of cheap skates there if you ask me.

Nascar should demand a new track surface every 5-10 years or lose the race.

Racing on newly paved tracks is generally pretty bad for a couple of years until the pavement ages a little bit, how would it be a good idea to pave tracks every 5-10 years? It has nothing to do with money, if they wanted it to be paved it would be done. Notice how most of the drivers after the race said they don't want to see Daytona repaved? That old pavement is what makes it a fun race track.