Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Amp Recommendations? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84298)

CamaroDreams07 05-19-2010 02:21 AM

Amp Recommendations?

I'm looking to power one ten inch sub. The models I'm looking at are the IDQ10V3.D4, ID10D4 V3, or the JBL Powerseries P1024.

The current amp I am looking at, recommended by 2010Sin is the JBL GTO7001, which the lowest I can find is around $216.

My question is, are there amps that are just as good for less money that would work for any of those subs? I don't want to get a crappy sound just to save money, but I'm wondering if there are better deals.

I'm looking at the grand total for the sub, amp, ******** enclosures and budgeting $100 for Steve's harness (hopefully won't be that much, just a guess) and it's kinda steep for me, between 750-850 depending on the sub.

Also, for anyone who is experienced with ID subs, how much difference will I notice between the ID10 and the IDQ10? What are the advantages? Is the IDQ worth the extra $80 or would the ID10 do the job? I guess I just don't know enough about these things to know how much I need to spend to get a good sound.

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all your help.

LS3SSRS 05-19-2010 10:01 AM

$216 for that amp is a good deal IMO. Base your amp selection on rms power handling of the sub that u buy. That amp is rated at 700wrms@2ohms, which is plenty of power for a 400wrms subwoofer.

Moriartii 05-19-2010 10:16 AM

Check out Sound Solutions Audio I think you will be happy and have money left in your pocket.

I could be wrong but I would go the other direction, get an amp that is lower than the rms of the woofer. This way you dont run the risk of overdriving your woofer. Example I have a 1000rms woofer being driven by a 400-500rms amp.
Cheers
K

LS3SSRS 05-19-2010 10:56 AM

Yea, ideally u want the amp to match the rms rating of your woofer. I just see having a more powerful amp being benefical in case u wanted to upgrade the sub down the road.

Racer-X 05-19-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 1875253)
I'm looking to power one ten inch sub. The models I'm looking at are the IDQ10V3.D4, ID10D4 V3, or the JBL Powerseries P1024.

The current amp I am looking at, recommended by 2010Sin is the JBL GTO7001, which the lowest I can find is around $216.

My question is, are there amps that are just as good for less money that would work for any of those subs? I don't want to get a crappy sound just to save money, but I'm wondering if there are better deals.

I'm looking at the grand total for the sub, amp, ******** enclosures and budgeting $100 for Steve's harness (hopefully won't be that much, just a guess) and it's kinda steep for me, between 750-850 depending on the sub.

Also, for anyone who is experienced with ID subs, how much difference will I notice between the ID10 and the IDQ10? What are the advantages? Is the IDQ worth the extra $80 or would the ID10 do the job? I guess I just don't know enough about these things to know how much I need to spend to get a good sound.

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all your help.

if you buyh a pre built enclosure you will have to use the ID10 not the IDQ... the IDQ is actually an 11" sub. will not fit standard configation prefabs. the IDQ's performance is probably twice that fo the ID10. very transient and acurate. does not have a stamped metal basket to resonate. is "field serviceable" meaning if for any reason the cone/voice coil assembly should go bad it can be replaced with out have to send the sub in. the ID series are good subs, the IDQ is worht every bit of the 80 bucks and more. but again will not fit a traditiolal prefab mounting diameter.

I think for what it sounds like you are trying to accomplish the ID10 will work quite well for you.

Side note... more power from the amp means you will use less of the gain to level match in turn will give you more "headroom" which will equate to better sound quality. (amps does not have to work as hard.)

Moriartii 05-19-2010 11:13 AM

So is it a big deal to go the route I did? A 400-500 rms amp pushing a 1000 rms woofer?

Cheers
K

Steve@Subthump 05-19-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 1875253)
and budgeting $100 for Steve's harness

Geez, no the harness won't be anything near that high.

Steve@Subthump 05-19-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAS (Post 1876336)
if you buyh a pre built enclosure you will have to use the ID10 not the IDQ... the IDQ is actually an 11" sub. will not fit standard configation prefabs.

We can fit an 11" sub in our large driver's side stealth. Give us the hole dimension and we'll do it. I've never considered any of our boxes pre-fab because they can be tweaked and customized upon request. A JL stealthbox is a pre-fab. Each one is identical to the next and they won't modify the design on an individual basis like we can.

Racer-X 05-19-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve@******** (Post 1876475)
We can fit an 11" sub in our large driver's side stealth. Give us the hole dimension and we'll do it. I've never considered any of our boxes pre-fab because they can be tweaked and customized upon request. A JL stealthbox is a pre-fab. Each one is identical to the next and they won't modify the design on an individual basis like we can.

Steve that is excellent to know. Thanks. I will get you some spec for the IDQ10.v3 to have for future reference.

The 2010 Sin 05-19-2010 01:25 PM

Cant wait to see what you decide to do! :-)

CamaroDreams07 05-19-2010 03:53 PM

Sounds like I really owe it to myself to spend the money. Which means waiting a little longer :(. Steve, is there an additional charge to get it made to fit the bigger sub? Oh and good to know on the price, I'd just rather budget too much than not enough, you know?

shevyman 05-19-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriartii (Post 1876123)
Check out Sound Solutions Audio I think you will be happy and have money left in your pocket.

I could be wrong but I would go the other direction, get an amp that is lower than the rms of the woofer. This way you dont run the risk of overdriving your woofer. Example I have a 1000rms woofer being driven by a 400-500rms amp.
Cheers
K

running a low amp to your subs is actually bad for them. you would actually want an amp with more power.

CamaroDreams07 05-19-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriartii (Post 1876123)

Cheers
K

:iono: Every amp on their site is more than the one I'm looking at- they start at $240...

shevyman 05-19-2010 04:01 PM

in some ways i think the systems other people mention ask for to much.

i have learned to work with arc,focal, and hertz. all work great in large or small enclosures. also give great sound. never have been so impressed with a single sub that is being pushed with 300watts. sounds better then my fosgate with the 800watts i was running it with. also you want a great amp i would go audison. MAN can you tell the difference in clarity.