Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   o2 sensor problem or more? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294716)

Kyle2k 05-10-2013 05:14 PM

o2 sensor problem or more?

So - I did a header install about a week ago and I got around to doing some data logging for a tune. Bank 1 was running +14-18 and Bank 2 was all 0's for fuel trims.

For clarification I am running the old CF 2 piece Haltech intake and it has like 102+mm MAF sensor diameter area.

Is this just a sensor issue? Another idea that has been thrown around is an exhaust leak?

EDIT: Rear o2 sensors are removed and I have no FRONT o2 sensor DTCs.

04GOAT-11SS 05-10-2013 05:52 PM

Exhaust leaks would be a good place to start looking. An O2 sensor generates a voltage signal based on the difference in oxygen content in the air in the exhaust and the air just outside the exhaust. The less of a difference you have, the leaner the computer thinks it's running. An exhaust leak in the right spot would put exhaust on the outside of the sensor, causing it to see very little difference. Thus tricking the computer into thinking it's running lean and it will try to compensate by adding fuel. Which will actually cause it to run rich.

An issue with the air intake or MAF should in theory cause an issue in both banks not just the one.

Kyle2k 05-10-2013 06:04 PM

I guess I'm just confused because the fuel trims on the one bank will NOT fluctuate from zero but at the same time I have no o2 DTCs so I have no clue if the sensor could also be fried/etc

The Stig 05-10-2013 06:04 PM

Any codes being thrown?

thahemp 05-10-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 6528737)
So - I did a header install about a week ago and I got around to doing some data logging for a tune. Bank 1 was running +14-18 and Bank 2 was all 0's for fuel trims.

For clarification I am running the old CF 2 piece Haltech intake and it has like 102+mm MAF sensor diameter area.

Is this just a sensor issue? Another idea that has been thrown around is an exhaust leak?

EDIT: Rear o2 sensors are removed and I have no FRONT o2 sensor DTCs.

I just logged mine. It runs between +1 and 0 on both banks stft and ltft. +18 seems like quite a bit of fuel being added for just headers. I have an intake and PTB. The intake (Fastlane Pipeline) supposedly runs lean according to Jannetty.

Does bank 2 just stick at 0? Or does it bounce around between 0 and +1?

Exhaust leak is a good place to start... like was said already. That's what I would be hoping for!

thahemp 05-10-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 6528927)
I guess I'm just confused because the fuel trims on the one bank will NOT fluctuate from zero but at the same time I have no o2 DTCs so I have no clue if the sensor could also be fried/etc

Snuck in before me. Maybe it's just going to take a bit for the code to be thrown. I have waited on codes for lots of miles before that I knew were supposed to be there. Do you have a multimeter? Or anything to monitor the voltage output from the bank 2 O2 sensor? I think it's supposed to fluctuate between 450 and 800mV as the computer trims things up.

Kyle2k 05-10-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thahemp (Post 6528937)
I just logged mine. It runs between +1 and 0 on both banks stft and ltft. +18 seems like quite a bit of fuel being added for just headers. I have an intake and PTB. The intake (Fastlane Pipeline) supposedly runs lean according to Jannetty.

Does bank 2 just stick at 0? Or does it bounce around between 0 and +1?

Exhaust leak is a good place to start... like was said already. That's what I would be hoping for!

Yeah, I was explicitly told this intake would cause +LTFTs as for the LTFTs on bank 2 I was told they are stuck at 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6528928)
Any codes being thrown?

P0036 and P0056 - I will update the thread with more as they come.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thahemp (Post 6528945)
Snuck in before me. Maybe it's just going to take a bit for the code to be thrown. I have waited on codes for lots of miles before that I knew were supposed to be there. Do you have a multimeter? Or anything to monitor the voltage output from the bank 2 O2 sensor? I think it's supposed to fluctuate between 450 and 800mV as the computer trims things up.

I don't have a multimeter or anything to check voltage/etc. I will include some extra information that may or may not be helpful though. After I found out I went and did a fuse pull then started the car up and started logging. While idle - both banks had LTFT's at 15% then i went and drove around. After 5 minutes of driving Bank 2 settled at -1% and bank 1 was around the 15% still.

thahemp 05-10-2013 07:00 PM

Yep. Weird. Can you log O2 voltage? I can't remember if it is my sct or bluetooth module that shows the raw sensor voltages.

Just try loosening the headers and retightening them. It took me a bunch of tries to get everything happy at the manifold/midpipe flange when i did HF cats. It was a PITA to get it to seal.

Kyle2k 05-10-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thahemp (Post 6529075)
Yep. Weird. Can you log O2 voltage? I can't remember if it is my sct or bluetooth module that shows the raw sensor voltages.

Just try loosening the headers and retightening them. It took me a bunch of tries to get everything happy at the manifold/midpipe flange when i did HF cats. It was a PITA to get it to seal.

I looked it up and it seems I can do o2 voltage - I will check it out!

On another note - my STFTs do fluctuate. Does that not take o2 sensor readings into consideration? It literally is JUST my Bank 2 LTFTs that are stuck at 0

Kyle2k 05-10-2013 09:54 PM

o2 sensor voltages

http://i44.tinypic.com/2wrqbk9.jpg

I have some updates - did a very quick log of o2 sensor voltage and got some more trouble codes.

P0140, P0141, P0160, P0161, and finally P0154

It definitely seems to be the passenger side cylinder bank
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0154

It is weird though - it's like bank 2 is going into closed loop while bank 1 isn't? but the range for bank 2 (0.45 - 0.58V) seems too narrow based on the above information?

I will try get another log in the middle of the day and at a better operating temp.

thahemp 05-10-2013 10:02 PM

I haven't looked those codes up, but that is an interesting graph. The one fluctuating rapidly looks like it should i think. The stft should bounce from lean to rich repeatedly. That's how they find stoich.

Check that bank 1 header!

Kyle2k 05-10-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thahemp (Post 6529699)
I haven't looked those codes up, but that is an interesting graph. The one fluctuating rapidly looks like it should i think. The stft should bounce from lean to rich repeatedly. That's how they find stoich.

Check that bank 1 header!

Now that you say that- I agree...hmmm

PQ 05-11-2013 01:29 PM

This stuff has always been confusing as hell to me. I wish I knew more about how the system worked and what this all means.

It would have to be a decent size leak I'd think. I've had leaks that never messed with the fuel trims and sensors. I've also had them that did.

thahemp 05-11-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 6531421)
This stuff has always been confusing as hell to me. I wish I knew more about how the system worked and what this all means.

It would have to be a decent size leak I'd think. I've had leaks that never messed with the fuel trims and sensors. I've also had them that did.

Yep. It could be a leak or sensor. Basically the ecm adds fuel until the front O2 reads rich, then backs it off until it reads lean, then repeats. That's how it centers on 14.7. That +14 stft is the ecm adding 14% more fuel than the fuel map wants.... and it's still switching too slow.

Kyle2k 05-11-2013 03:14 PM

The first plan of action is just to make sure everything is tightened up to spec. If that doesn't work I will swap sides on the o2 sensors and see if I get the same sort of logs. I will report back later with the good/bad news!

04GOAT-11SS 05-12-2013 03:55 PM

The first 4 codes are all rear o2 sensor codes as you probably know. The P0154 is likely where your problem lies. The O2 sensor should be switching between 0-1v. A quick way to see if the 02 sensor is working is to wait for it to enter closed loop, create a small vacuum leak and make sure the voltage drops to around .1 volt momentarily. Then fix that leak, blip the throttle a few times and watch the o2 voltage. Should rise to nearly .9v. If they don't do that then it's time to start looking at the sensors, wiring etc. If it does that and it's just not switching enough (about 15 times during a 10 second time frame when holding the engine at 2k rpm) it's time to replace the sensor.

thahemp 05-12-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04GOAT-11SS (Post 6535162)
The first 4 codes are all rear o2 sensor codes as you probably know. The P0154 is likely where your problem lies. The O2 sensor should be switching between 0-1v. A quick way to see if the 02 sensor is working is to wait for it to enter closed loop, create a small vacuum leak and make sure the voltage drops to around .1 volt momentarily. Then fix that leak, blip the throttle a few times and watch the o2 voltage. Should rise to nearly .9v. If they don't do that then it's time to start looking at the sensors, wiring etc. If it does that and it's just not switching enough (about 15 times during a 10 second time frame when holding the engine at 2k rpm) it's time to replace the sensor.

Good info thanks.

Kyle2k 06-26-2013 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, it has been awhile but the car runs and I've got some of my other responsibilities out of my way, but I still haven't fixed the issue - I attached a new(different) datalog if anyone would mind taking a look - the diablo data viewer link is right here. I also included the O2 sensor voltages in the log...something is odd here and I think it is bank 2 more so than bank 1 that is throwing everything off.

http://www.diablosport.com/forum/vie...hp?f=31&t=2335

Badbubba 06-26-2013 10:07 PM

If you can, swap the sensors and see if the issue switches to the other bank.

thahemp 06-26-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 6721243)
Well, it has been awhile but the car runs and I've got some of my other responsibilities out of my way, but I still haven't fixed the issue - I attached a new(different) datalog if anyone would mind taking a look - the diablo data viewer link is right here. I also included the O2 sensor voltages in the log...something is odd here and I think it is bank 2 more so than bank 1 that is throwing everything off.

http://www.diablosport.com/forum/vie...hp?f=31&t=2335

I agree. Your bank 1 sensor voltage looks like it is supposed to. Bank 2 is jacked up. I don't know why though.

thahemp 06-26-2013 10:11 PM

Looks like you're getting a little KR when you tip into the throttle too.

litle88 06-26-2013 10:13 PM

You have two suggestions that I'd go look into when you get a chance. Do the header check and make sure there's no leaks or soot around the connections or off the cylinder head. Also make sure the o2 sensor is tight.

If that doesn't work, swap sensors out and then get back to us bud.

thahemp 06-26-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6721359)
You have two suggestions that I'd go look into when you get a chance. Do the header check and make sure there's no leaks or soot around the connections or off the cylinder head. Also make sure the o2 sensor is tight.

If that doesn't work, swap sensors out and then get back to us bud.

Agreed. See if it chases the sensor.

axis 06-26-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badbubba (Post 6721326)
If you can, swap the sensors and see if the issue switches to the other bank.

There's your huckleberry.

That would eliminate or find one problem source.

Kyle2k 06-26-2013 10:22 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I have essentially done all the visual inspections for soot and I have found nothing around the heads - I will check to see if there is any around the sensors this weekend and if not I will just do the switch then.

For what it is worth it smells VERY rich on start up - occasionally bucks both after start up but then usually settles down with in 10-20 seconds and then also occasionally around town when I drive. However, when I get it back and turn it off it smells very lean. Other little tidbits - I am running one of the older two piece haltech intakes with the 102+mm MAF so bank 1 is reading high LTFT's because that's what I was told to expect (as opposed to some sort of exhaust leak) - the added headers probably isn't helping...

axis 06-26-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 6721407)
Thanks for the advice guys, I have essentially done all the visual inspections for soot and I have found nothing around the heads - I will check to see if there is any around the sensors this weekend and if not I will just do the switch then.

For what it is worth it smells VERY rich on start up - occasionally bucks both after start up but then usually settles down with in 10-20 seconds and then also occasionally around town when I drive. However, when I get it back and turn it off it smells very lean. Other little tidbits - I am running one of the older two piece haltech intakes with the 102+mm MAF so bank 1 is reading high LTFT's because that's what I was told to expect (as opposed to some sort of exhaust leak) - the added headers probably isn't helping...

I'll trade you my yellowjacket for yours. I always wanted one of the older CF ones. Just couldn't pull the trigger for $600 though.

Kyle2k 06-27-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 6721607)
I'll trade you my yellowjacket for yours. I always wanted one of the older CF ones. Just couldn't pull the trigger for $600 though.

I might consider it, I'll pm you once I get this thing running decently - I have the car up at the moment and I noticed soot marks at the exhaust clamp it is about 6 inches behind the o2 port? Do you think that could throw it off if it is behind the sensor? Either ways I tightened it and am contemplating switching sides on the o2 sensors anyways

litle88 06-27-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 6724753)
I might consider it, I'll pm you once I get this thing running decently - I have the car up at the moment and I noticed soot marks at the exhaust clamp it is about 6 inches behind the o2 port? Do you think that could throw it off if it is behind the sensor? Either ways I tightened it and am contemplating switching sides on the o2 sensors anyways

Yes air can get sucked in and disrupting the o2's readings.

thahemp 06-27-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

I don't. I'm fighting my band clamps too, but unless you're running open headers.. behind the front O2 isn't going to affect your fueling. That sensor voltage reading from bank 1 is wrong wrong. That is NOT how it is supposed to look. Move the sensors, let us know what happened.

Kyle2k 06-27-2013 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thahemp (Post 6724898)
I don't. I'm fighting my band clamps too, but unless you're running open headers.. behind the front O2 isn't going to affect your fueling. That sensor voltage reading from bank 1 is wrong wrong. That is NOT how it is supposed to look. Move the sensors, let us know what happened.

By bank 1 do you mean bank 2? Bank 1 is at least the right range- the bank 2 voltage is just too narrow even though it looks more active. Here is the new log after swapping the o2 sensors from one side to the other. The fact that changing the sides on the sensors did nothing tells me the sensors probably aren't the issue though...

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...4T-24T&eq=&Tp= here is the wiring diagram for the extender.

The fact that the signal still oscillates though does that mean anything? If i just completely disconnected the sensor would it be any different?

axis 06-27-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

I think the soot there is rather common. I've seen it on many headers, mine included. Water condensates and mixes with the soot and since these catback connections are slip on, they will leak a little fluid from time to time. Nothing to worry about though.

Kyle2k 06-27-2013 10:03 PM

Well...I found the culprit - I had a bent prong in the o2 sensor socket on the main harness, luckily it wasn't snapped off - I bent it back and the logs look completely different from what it was before. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys.

litle88 06-27-2013 10:24 PM

Glad it's fixed!

axis 06-28-2013 05:50 AM

I'd definitely do the fuse pull so you can start fresh.

thahemp 06-28-2013 10:02 AM

Nicely done. Which one was it.. 1 or 2 so we can match that up to the logs?

thahemp 06-28-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle2k (Post 6725065)
By bank 1 do you mean bank 2? Bank 1 is at least the right range- the bank 2 voltage is just too narrow even though it looks more active. Here is the new log after swapping the o2 sensors from one side to the other. The fact that changing the sides on the sensors did nothing tells me the sensors probably aren't the issue though...

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...4T-24T&eq=&Tp= here is the wiring diagram for the extender.

The fact that the signal still oscillates though does that mean anything? If i just completely disconnected the sensor would it be any different?

And yes! Definitely I meant bank 2... these last few days have been pretty off for me :crazy:.

Kyle2k 06-28-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thahemp (Post 6727111)
And yes! Definitely I meant bank 2... these last few days have been pretty off for me :crazy:.

Bank 2 had the bent prong- still so happy it wasn't completely gone.

thahemp 06-28-2013 11:24 AM

Yeah man. It's always nice to come to a solution on something that has been bugging you for a long time.