Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Will GM beat the kitty kat? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369962)

shaffe 07-23-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macwest (Post 7839957)
At the time the Zl1 was best all around for the money. Times changed now dodge has it beat. For most the challenger will handle just fine. On muscle cars 1/4 mile has always been the factor and it seems GM has lost focus on it.

The hellcat was built for bragging rights of being the biggest baddest muscle car you can buy. It might not be the total package the zl1 is, but it will probably still be a blast to drive and that's what matters most.

I'd love to have a car that handles great, but you know what I'd rather have something that will dominate you stoplight to stoplight.

Sven59 07-23-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

At the time the Zl1 was best all around for the money. Times changed now dodge has it beat. For most the challenger will handle just fine. On muscle cars 1/4 mile has always been the factor and it seems GM has lost focus on it.

How does the kitty kat have the ZL1 beat, where is its track times, where is its reviews for drivability against a ZL1, so far the only thing it has beaten it in is the 1/4. What is its top speed (actual). With a 57f/4r balance the catnip rear end will be all over the place.

tones2SS 07-23-2014 07:18 PM

I may be wrong here,....but I'm pretty sure the Hellcat can do what the Z06 can in the 0-60. (I do believe they are both in the 3.5 range.) Now that is VERY impressive considering how much the Hellcat weighs and how much the Z06 weighs, going head to head stock to stock. Both are killer cars and I wouldn't mind either one actually. I was actually thinking Z06 before the Hellcat.
And let's not forget here,...we're taking stock to stock cars here. Not modified to stock cars. If you're car is modified, then what happens when the Hellcat becomes modified? What's the limit on HP and TQ then? 900 HP and 800 lbs. of TQ? (Of course power/torque isn't everything, it's how you get it to the pavement.)
Great time for us modern day muscle car lovers. :thumb:

Expunge 07-23-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tones2SS (Post 7840142)
I may be wrong here,....but I'm pretty sure the Hellcat can do what the Z06 can in the 0-60.

You are wrong.. 0-60 is 4.1 on the hellcat. Probably cant hook up worth a spit.

As to the rest, good luck doing any serious modification that needs a tune, because we all know how friendly Dodge is with their programing. The HP number is impressive, but there are still a lot of questions yet to be answered.

96MrBass 07-23-2014 07:38 PM

Again its very funny the very second a PONY car starts running close 1/4 times as a Vette it's badass.
When it gets beat by one " But it's not a pony car dude ". Lol.

tones2SS 07-23-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Expunge (Post 7840169)
You are wrong.. 0-60 is 4.1 on the hellcat. Probably cant hook up worth a spit.

As to the rest, good luck doing any serious modification that needs a tune, because we all know how friendly Dodge is with their programing. The HP number is impressive, but there are still a lot of questions yet to be answered.

Very true about the tune. The ECU will be in LOCK DOWN!!!! lol
Until,...someone cracks the "code".
I don't know??? I saw that the 2015 Z06 does 0-60 in 3.5, correct? I could have sworn I saw that the Hellcat does the same, if not, then VERY, VERY close. I would say it could probably hook pretty good if it beats the GT500 and the ZL1 on the track, no?
Like I said,...now that is VERY impressive. :thumb:

tones2SS 07-23-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96MrBass (Post 7840204)
Again its very funny the very second a PONY car starts running close 1/4 times as a Vette it's badass.
When it gets beat by one " But it's not a pony car dude ". Lol.

Just wondering what pony car can beat the Hellcat, stock for stock though???
:iono:
I threw the Z06 times in there to show how fast the Hellcat is to the Z06 in the 0-60. (Unless what I am seeing is false advertisement, I apologize.) Don't forget the weigh difference between the 2 as well.
Isn't the Z06 Chevrolet's fastest car?

Whos_Drivin 07-23-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Botally Tone (Post 7839415)
I agree with you but the problem is here in America people value 1/4 miles times and HP ratings. In terms of marketing Dodge is exactly where they want to be.

People keep saying this with nothing to back it up other than there opinion. Look at sales numbers...that's what the manufactures are building these things for. It's all about the bottom line in the end.

McRat 07-23-2014 08:12 PM

At least one magazine has confirmed that 2014 Stingray Manual will run under 4.0 seconds on the 0-60 tests on normal pavement with factory tires with TC off.

Apparently, it doesn't need launch control, SC or TC to maximize traction. It's a bit tail heavy with big tires and an electronic differential.

96MrBass 07-23-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tones2SS (Post 7840228)
Just wondering what pony car can beat the Hellcat, stock for stock though???
:iono:
I threw the Z06 times in there to show how fast the Hellcat is to the Z06 in the 0-60. (Unless what I am seeing is false advertisement, I apologize.) Don't forget the weigh difference between the 2 as well.
Isn't the Z06 Chevrolet's fastest car?

With all the hoopla and talk about it I'm assuming none. As far as the new Z06 goes personally I like to wait until they get in the owners hands you know? Lol and there it is "What about the weight difference"

hotlap 07-23-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Dodge built a street legal drag car. Chevy built a street legal race car. The ZL1 is more sophisticated. Boxing compared to a martial arts.

The hardest part about an OEM making 700 HP is having confidence to warranty. What is the Hellcat warranty? (I don't know.) A Challenger owner I met at the track told me his warranty was dead if raced and the dealer was looking in his wheel well for rubber.

I'm sure team Corvette could give two shit about the Hellcat. They have their sights set on European exotics

Botally Tone 07-23-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin (Post 7840263)
People keep saying this with nothing to back it up other than there opinion. Look at sales numbers...that's what the manufactures are building these things for. It's all about the bottom line in the end.

I still think that most of America values 1/4 mile times and HP ratings. Where you have got me is the sales numbers. Most of America would go for a fast 1/4 mile vs a fast lap time but then again most of America can't get their hands on these cars. I'm not saying their Lamborghini or Ferrari rare but most people can still not afford them. The ones that can seem to be more focused on overall performance in which case I think the ZL1 is the best choice. So I agree with you, the sales numbers do say otherwise for the clientele buying the top tier muscle cars.

hotlap 07-23-2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Botally Tone (Post 7840366)
I still think that most of America values 1/4 mile times and HP ratings......... The ones that can seem to be more focused on overall performance in which case I think the ZL1 is the best choice.

That why Europeans laugh at American cars. Chevrolet is moving in the right direction.

macwest 07-23-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 (Post 7840339)
Dodge built a street legal drag car. Chevy built a street legal race car. The ZL1 is more sophisticated. Boxing compared to a martial arts.

The hardest part about an OEM making 700 HP is having confidence to warranty. What is the Hellcat warranty? (I don't know.) A Challenger owner I met at the track told me his warranty was dead if raced and the dealer was looking in his wheel well for rubber.

I'm sure team Corvette could give two shit about the Hellcat. They have their sights set on European exotics

Were do corvettes come into muscle cars. For me don't care about team corvette not a muscle car. Corvettes have always been considered a sports car which is a completely different market.

As for ZL1 more sophisticated sorry but that is wrong. The new challenger allows allot more modifications by the driver then the ZL1 every allows. Also, Early reports say the challenger handles just as well as the ZL1 to me that sounds like the ZL1 just got served.