Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Muffler delete + Magnaflow resonated x pipe install (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223315)

thahemp 05-12-2012 01:35 PM

Muffler Delete + Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe + Solo HF Cats DIY Install

Ok ladies and gents. I'm going to be tackling this installation here in the next 3 weeks or so, and I wanted to start leeching information out of everyone ahead of time. I'll try and photo-document everything.

First off... if you have done this yourself (or even if you haven't i guess), I would love to hear any kind of tips, advice, or opinions you might feel like sharing. Don't be shy. Also don't hold back... I can take it :)

I ordered a 220v/175A MIG welder. It should be here soon enough. I still need to go up to a welding supply store and get a bottle of gas. I can't decide whether to get tri-mix, or just 75/25. This is the only stainless project I have on my list. I also need to pick up some 309L filler for welding the 304 to 409 (magnaflow to OEM).

My goals are: in this specific order ...
A) learn to weld
B) make a 3-tier brewing stand (practice, practice, practice!)
C) hack and weld my new exhaust

My first thought was that I would like to do the cutting and welding off the car if possible. I'm not sure how to go about doing that without completely screwing up the alignment of the exhaust though. I might be able to get away with cutting the exhaust on the car and perhaps tacking the new pipes in place... then pulling the whole cat-back out and finishing the welds in a more comfortable position. I don't have a lift.. only jackstands.

I'm also wondering if welding in couplers at the joints instead of butt welding would be a better idea? I've had buddies suggest I just buy clamps and skip the welding all together, but we never learn anything new by taking the easiest route every time do we?

I'm pretty excited about learning a new skill, and adding a little more growl to my favorite toy. Stay tuned.

Birm 05-12-2012 07:08 PM

I'm subscribed, wish you luck my friend. I would say couplers would make things easier but not necessarily the cleanest look. The hangars I gave you per mounted should help with your alignment issue. I'd say a small slit, overlap then weld but I'm no pro.

VR Baron 05-12-2012 09:30 PM

Sounds like a neat project and good luck! As to what you are doing, I did that, well with the outlaw mufflers, allmost a delete. Resonated x made it deep, but muffled in sound and to quiet. Ended up with stock exhaust(stock resonators in place) and the outlaws with just j pipes to kill the drone. Even with the stock resonators deleted the res x was to quiet.

thahemp 05-12-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birm (Post 4952344)
I'm subscribed, wish you luck my friend. I would say couplers would make things easier but not necessarily the cleanest look. The hangars I gave you per mounted should help with your alignment issue. I'd say a small slit, overlap then weld but I'm no pro.

Yeah I think you're right. I need to just get everything cut, hung, and tacked while under the car. Especially since the hangers are already there to guide me. I think I'll probably still drop the whole exhaust once it's all tacked together and finish up where I have some room to work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR Baron
Sounds like a neat project and good luck! As to what you are doing, I did that, well with the outlaw mufflers, allmost a delete. Resonated x made it deep, but muffled in sound and to quiet. Ended up with stock exhaust(stock resonators in place) and the outlaws with just j pipes to kill the drone. Even with the stock resonators deleted the res x was to quiet.

Thanks for the luck. I'll surely need it :)

I'm gonna have to stick with the res x probably. I need it to be just a hair quieter than loud, or I'll end up with wife problems... you wanna talk about loud! ;)

thahemp 05-12-2012 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok. So I've done enough reading for tonight. Two things.

1) The smallest diameter 309L I have found is .030". Everyone seems to recommend smaller diameter filler for SS sheet metal. Hopefully .030" is close enough to the right number to not make a difference.

2) I think I can borrow a flaring tool from Autozone. Should I worry about the metal splitting? Or just don't worry about it and weld up whatever splits? I'm trying to imagine just how ugly it would look with welded up splits.

Attachment 370583

Ieatfordsforlunch 05-13-2012 06:41 AM

I've been welding since I was 14 and I'm 23 now, and in my exp welding exhaust tube is the trickiest to weld. I suggest going to an exhaust shop getting some scrap tubes and practice ALOT! You can blow out welds with a mig if you sit on a weld too long. Use short tacks and draw the heat following each tack and when the pipe gets too hot let it sit for a min rather than risking blow outs.

thahemp 05-13-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ieatfordsforlunch (Post 4953843)
I've been welding since I was 14 and I'm 23 now, and in my exp welding exhaust tube is the trickiest to weld. I suggest going to an exhaust shop getting some scrap tubes and practice ALOT! You can blow out welds with a mig if you sit on a weld too long. Use short tacks and draw the heat following each tack and when the pipe gets too hot let it sit for a min rather than risking blow outs.

I spent a long time yesterday looking for cheapo 409 and 304 tubing online that i could hack to pieces and practice welding together. There are several shops close by that i could hit up for scrap pipe. That's a really good idea. 304 tubing is expensive!

Thanks for the helpful hint. I've read in several places that you can get a nice, low-profile weld by just doing deep tacks close together. I'd be a little worried about leaks without doing a continuous weld around the pipe though.

JHart 05-13-2012 12:13 PM

the muffler delete + res x is hardly any louder than stock, had it on my last car. but good luck with the project man.

Revo1 05-13-2012 12:46 PM

Very cool... Should sound alot like this in the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3xZYl1yZaA

thahemp 05-13-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHart (Post 4954779)
the muffler delete + res x is hardly any louder than stock, had it on my last car. but good luck with the project man.

I have contemplated putting the pipes in and giving it a go without the resonator to start with. I can always add it later if it is too loud.

I think Revo1's video sounds great. It's kind of a parallel to the sound system they ship with. I don't necessarily need it louder per se. It just needs to sound right. I added just a low-power amp and a couple of Fosgate 10's to get the bass represented properly in the sound system. No thumping... just right.

I kind of feel like the resonator is the same idea. A nice low rumble that growls under pressure is perfect IMHO. After a certain threshold, the loudness is no longer a concern for me until it gets too loud.

I'm starting to get ancy waiting for this welder... This guy is ready to start melting metal!

thahemp 05-13-2012 01:29 PM

Ok, so strategy update. I think while I'm out scavenging for scrap pipe I'll find a place that doesn't mind flaring my pipe for me. It looks like nothing but PITA stories from everyone trying to use a non-hydraulic pipe flaring tool (pictured above).

That takes care of one of my uncertainties in the project. Once I get everything cut, I can hop in the wife's car and get my pipe ends flared. This should solve any problems related to not being able to find .023" 309L as well, and just make blow through that much less likely with lap welds.

Maybe I'll give the Autozone flaring tool a try on some of the scrap pieces...

thahemp 05-14-2012 12:09 PM

It looks like we'll be ordering a plasma cutter to go with our MIG welder. That should help speed things along under the car. I need to look into a grinder to de-burr the cuts.

We have been talking about restoring cars for a few years now, and I managed to spark everyone's motivation with this project. My dad wants the plasma cutter to go along with the welder for when we start replacing floor/trunk pans. More power to him... I'll be happy to use it for him until he gets a project car :)

Mine is gonna be a '67 Chevelle.... or maybe a 1st gen Camaro now that I have a 5th gen. That would be fitting.

caverman 05-14-2012 02:15 PM

I did this back when I first got my car....I litterally I drove it straight from the dealer lot to the muffler shop.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64964

Tips...Use a sawsall to make the cuts, get rid of the rear cat, make sure your tips are where you want them before welding them on or make it so they can be adjustable.

thahemp 05-14-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 4960083)
I did this back when I first got my car....I litterally I drove it straight from the dealer lot to the muffler shop.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64964

Tips...Use a sawsall to make the cuts, get rid of the rear cat, make sure your tips are where you want them before welding them on or make it so they can be adjustable.

Birm pointed me to your thread when I was considering buying these exhaust parts. That was a good read for me. We have a sawsall that I can use, but I don't think the guy that torched yours was using a plasma cutter. That looks like an oxy/acetylene torch. The edges look like they were cut with an oxy/acetylene torch too ;)

I would have to agree that using a sawsall against a clamp or something would guarantee a straight cut at least. It's probably not as important if I end up flaring the tubing and lap welding though.

Thanks for the tips.. I think I will get rid of the rear cat. I re-read your thread because I was trying to figure out whether or not that will throw a code. Good to know they're not monitored. Also, all of the hangers are already welded to the pipes, so I don't think tip alignment will be a big issue for me... thanks for that Birm :)