Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Z28 vs ZL1 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323456)

SSeniorMoment 10-16-2013 03:01 PM

Z28 vs ZL1

Nurburgring,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj1h...e_gdata_player

thunderkyss 07-04-2015 06:18 PM

I just saw this video. It puts the Z28 lap next to the ZL1 lap. You can see the speeds, rpm, Gs, etc... of the cars side by side. It's really interesting to see the speeds the Z28 is going at different parts of the track vs the ZL1... a car that's also has world class handling. I think Chevy knocked it out of the park with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G9vcAF3Hzw

Front Runner 07-06-2015 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 8516117)
I just saw this video. It puts the Z28 lap next to the ZL1 lap. You can see the speeds, rpm, Gs, etc... of the cars side by side. It's really interesting to see the speeds the Z28 is going at different parts of the track vs the ZL1... a car that's also has world class handling. I think Chevy knocked it out of the park with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G9vcAF3Hzw

Yes, they did. The Z/28 is phenomenal car!!!! :headbang: Notice how planted the Z/28 is and how the camera is bobbing around in the ZL1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark72 (Post 8519243)

So the Z28 beats the ZL1 by 3.8 seconds!!
That not much for 20K in cost difference.
Maybe some different tires would close the gap.
I bought the ZL1 for the extra creature comforts!

Are you trying to justify your purchase?

BTW, the 3.8 second gap would've been larger had it not started raining on the Z/28's run. Not a matter of opinion, more of a matter of fact. The video speaks for itself. FWIW, most aren't buying Z/28's for 20k difference from a ZL1. Also, tires only will not make the difference between the two.

hammdo 07-06-2015 10:09 PM

3.8 seconds on a road course like that I believe is huge. The ZL1 gives 300 lbs to the Z/28, but the Z/28 is built for courses like this and really not a street/daily driver.

If the ZL1 gave up the creature comforts it would close the gap -- but I'd bet it would certainly need some suspension upgrades to get there.

If I bought a Z/28, it would be mostly for track and I'd leave it untouched/unchanged -- too valuable just the way it is.

Z/28 is an awesome car.

ZL1 is a different animal/purpose.

Same with the 1LE...

Love them all!

-Don

Front Runner 07-06-2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammdo (Post 8519441)
3.8 seconds on a road course like that I believe is huge. The ZL1 gives 300 lbs to the Z/28, but the Z/28 is built for courses like this and really not a street/daily driver.

If the ZL1 gave up the creature comforts it would close the gap -- but I'd bet it would certainly need some suspension upgrades to get there.

If I bought a Z/28, it would be mostly for track and I'd leave it untouched/unchanged -- too valuable just the way it is.

Z/28 is an awesome car.

ZL1 is a different animal/purpose.

Same with the 1LE...

Love them all!

-Don

Gotta disagree with the statement in bold. It's a great street car also. I speak from experience. It's just as streetable as the ZL1 is. The main difference is the ride is more firm (not harsh) and the tires like to throw things. :lol:

SSeniorMoment 07-10-2015 08:44 PM

I'd like to see them both cammed out on the track together. :)

Nor Cal ZL1 07-10-2015 10:23 PM

The ZL1 at the ring on the same treadwear rated tires would easily be 10 seconds faster than the recorded time.... easily. At a real track like Laguna or etc the Z/28 is going to smoke it. Either way there both kick ass.

hammdo 07-11-2015 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Front Runner (Post 8519463)
Gotta disagree with the statement in bold. It's a great street car also. I speak from experience. It's just as streetable as the ZL1 is. The main difference is the ride is more firm (not harsh) and the tires like to throw things. :lol:

That's fine, no problem, but comparing the ZL1 vs Z/28, the ZL1 has the creature comforts and that is what I was referring to from a daily driver perspective.

-Don

JB12ZL1 07-11-2015 12:29 AM

I'd say a car 300 lbs heavier with only 80 more horses and $20,000 lower price tag being so close to the Z28 a track specific car only show's how good the ZL1 is. I love mine and I'll keep til I die LOL!

370zyzfr1 07-21-2015 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Front Runner (Post 8519420)
Yes, they did. The Z/28 is phenomenal car!!!! :headbang: Notice how planted the Z/28 is and how the camera is bobbing around in the ZL1.

Are you trying to justify your purchase?

BTW, the 3.8 second gap would've been larger had it not started raining on the Z/28's run. Not a matter of opinion, more of a matter of fact. The video speaks for itself. FWIW, most aren't buying Z/28's for 20k difference from a ZL1. Also, tires only will not make the difference between the two.

You're kidding right? Same tires would make a huge difference. If you put zl1 tires (same size) on the z28, it won't get close to that time.

You Throw 4k into the zl1 and you easily make up for the time diff and more.

Just my opinion.

backeddy 07-21-2015 10:34 PM

Here we go again...(eyes roll), there is a reason there is no MRC in the Z28....hint it is no where near as fast on the track. It lacks the feedback that the spool valve or monotube (1le) has and It does not talk to you at the limit like the other 2 do. I have done 300-400 laps in one and was never comfortable with controlling the car with just the throttle at the limit. In the 1LE I can slide the car from rumble strip to rumble strip and stop it at the edge of disaster instantly....Don't try that in a ZL1....My shop full of track wrecked cars (zl1's) proves my point.

mikeSS 07-22-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

I think people should think less of lap times, and more on what the car is.

Take a 911 turbo s and 911 GT3. the turbo will put down the same time as the GT3 or better in some case. but the experience you get from both are is different. They feel different even if the times are the same.

my point is that the Z/28 FEELS different. I would take the Z/28 on the tack any day over a ZL1 even if the times were the same.

Shark72 07-22-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backeddy (Post 8546127)
Here we go again...(eyes roll), there is a reason there is no MRC in the Z28....hint it is no where near as fast on the track. It lacks the feedback that the spool valve or monotube (1le) has and It does not talk to you at the limit like the other 2 do. I have done 300-400 laps in one and was never comfortable with controlling the car with just the throttle at the limit. In the 1LE I can slide the car from rumble strip to rumble strip and stop it at the edge of disaster instantly....Don't try that in a ZL1....My shop full of track wrecked cars (zl1's) proves my point.

Corvette ZR1, Ferrari, Audi even Shelby GT350 use mag shocks can't be all that bad.

Magnetic suspension is described as the fastest reacting suspension in the world as sensors monitor the road surface up to 1000 times per second and an ECU can make variations within a few milliseconds resulting in the possibility of multiple damping variations being made in a second.

Bhobbs 07-22-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Someone seems a little sensitive.

If you watch the video, the ZL1 is up to 10 seconds behind the Z/28 until the rain hits. Even then, the only time the ZL1 gains ground is on the long straight towards the end were it should be faster.