Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   manual trans (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16262)

The BIRDman 03-22-2009 11:43 AM

manual trans

ive never driven a manual in my life so an automatic would be my obvious choice. yet because the specs on the manual are so much better, i want to ask if its really that hard to drive one? (a manual)

ZZcamaro 03-22-2009 11:52 AM

Not at all. I never owned a Manual car prior to buying my last Trans Am. You will be good to go a lot sooner than you think.
I woudl borrow a friends car to drive around for a day or in a parking lot to help you learn.
The amounts of torque that the LS3 has will also help you learn faster.

Mythic 03-22-2009 11:52 AM

Unfortunately that's a hard question to answer truthfully.

If you have driven a manual, (I learned how on a truck...) its almost like riding a bike. You just know.. its a feel and a perception. If you haven't, I can see where it could be intimidating. Depending on gearing and power, (lower power vehicles oddly) you can be pretty busy. But it makes you more a part of the driving equation.

Advice. go rent a manual, get a buddy that drives stick, find an empty parking lot and have a ball.

CamaroSpike23 03-22-2009 11:56 AM

how are the specs SO much better?

Mythic 03-22-2009 12:19 PM

aww, man. don't be like that.

CamaroSpike23 03-22-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythic (Post 355361)
aww, man. don't be like that.

like what? I'm asking a serious question. the .1-.2 sec difference in 1/4 times? the 22 hp that you wont even notice? im just wondering.

Mythic 03-22-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 355371)
like what? I'm asking a serious question. the .1-.2 sec difference in 1/4 times? the 22 hp that you wont even notice? im just wondering.

the $995? :bonk:

But seriously, there are enough threads debating the merits of the L99 vs the LS3. if he feels its significantly better to influence a buying decision, its his perogative. :wave:

CamaroSpike23 03-22-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythic (Post 355376)
the $995? :bonk:

But seriously, there are enough threads debating the merits of the L99 vs the LS3. if he feels its significantly better to influence a buying decision, its his perogative. :wave:

i dont consider price a "spec" but if he cant drive a stick to begin with, I want to make sure he's fully aware of the L99/A6 abilities

Riderover40 03-22-2009 01:29 PM

Control.....it's all about control...and the fun of it of course. I learned to drive stick on some ole big beast of a five ton International when I was 11 years young.....gidder done !

Mr Twisty 03-22-2009 01:37 PM

I agree with spike on this one...The specs, other than price, are practically the same.

I'm a row your own guy, but I'd ride that auto hard and put it up wet in a heartbeat! And if you're not an excellent stick shifter you'll probably be seeing my brake lights at the 1321 ft mark ;)

Just miss one gear and I'll spank ya with the 6 banger too....Yes, it IS that good.

CynAgain 03-22-2009 01:40 PM

:laughabove:

Agreed. It's personal preference. That is all.

Mr Twisty 03-22-2009 01:48 PM

:offtopic: Nice avatar lady ;)

The BIRDman 03-22-2009 03:52 PM

okay, well thanks CamaroSpike23 for being a dick and im sorry i gave you the benefit of the doubt thinking you could actually interpret what i was actually saying because you know damn well that if gm announced the camaro's specs to 435hp and 428trq, you'd be happy instead of saying "aw im not going to notice a change". performance is performance and if i have have to pay to loose performance. and thats the only reason im asking about the manual trans.

CamaroSpike23 03-22-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The BIRDman (Post 355710)
okay, well thanks CamaroSpike23 for being a dick and im sorry i gave you the benefit of the doubt thinking you could actually interpret what i was actually saying because you know damn well that if gm announced the camaro's specs to 435hp and 428trq, you'd be happy instead of saying "aw im not going to notice a change". performance is performance and if i have have to pay to loose performance. and thats the only reason im asking about the manual trans.

lol. when you look at it as paying to lose performance, you've already started on the wrong foot.

you said you had never driven stick before. yes....?
you said the specs are so much better for the m6 to the A6. yes....?

I asked you what specs you considered so much better. and you come back with personal attacks.

if millions (if not billions) of people around the world can drive a stick, im sure you could manage. you will kill it, you will burn the clutch from time to time, thats part of the learning process. its not difficult to drive stick. just takes some people longer than others to learn.

the fact that you have never driven a manual in your life before is pretty much going to negate your chances of seeing the 1/4 times or 0-60 times that have been shown that this car can do.
and thats not an attack at you, its the truth. if you want the manual, get it, if you dont think you will be able to drive it (comfortably in your own right), get the auto.

and if you feel like it, you can settle down and answer a few questions of mine.

how many cars have you driven with over 400 hp? how many times have you gone sub 12 sec 1/4 mile? how often will you be taking your car to the track? will this car be your dd?