Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Love bugs--florida drivers (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144838)

angie7 05-02-2011 02:10 PM

Love bugs--florida drivers

So this is my first season of love bugs here and WOW! they are everywhere! Do you drive your camaro's in this mess? Mine is not moving until this is over. Don't want to chance messing up my paint over a freaking bug..

For those that don't know. Love bugs are these tiny black bugs that are "stuck" together and when they splatter on your car, their juices eat through your paint in about 12 hours. Nasty little things.

InvaderMoose 05-02-2011 02:18 PM

I carry around waterless wash and bug remover, everytime im going to be parked for more than an hour i clean it up.

jeSSe 05-02-2011 02:22 PM

wow...ive never heard of such a thing.. thank god for being from texas i guess. lol good luck though.

5GSS 05-02-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeSSe (Post 3171270)
wow...ive never heard of such a thing.. thank god for being from texas i guess. lol good luck though.

Texas has them too, just on the Gulf Coast side. Hate those things. They haven't been too bad here, it's usually worse later in the year.

SlingShot 05-02-2011 02:26 PM

I won't let them stop me from driving that's for sure. I just wash them off, before they get a chance to do any harm. I also go heavy with the detail spray once or twice a week, it helps.

cleanwhiteSS 05-02-2011 02:28 PM

I took my car out for 5 min. yesterday and put it right back in the garage. Took it out this morning and washed it. I am not taking it out until they are gone. Pisses me off. I was told by someone the other day. If you take Pam, that cooking stuff, and put a light coat on the front they will wipe right off. Haven't tried it yet.

JHL88 05-02-2011 02:28 PM

south carolina bugs are pretty bad too, it pisses me off

angie7 05-02-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeSSe (Post 3171270)

I'm from Indiana and just moved here in Nov. Never heard of such a thing either until I was buying my camaro and they were telling me about the paint warranty and how it's protected from love bugs. I actually laughed b/c I thought they were kidding :laugh:

Kman 2011 ss 05-02-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angie7 (Post 3171220)
So this is my first season of love bugs here and WOW! they are everywhere! Do you drive your camaro's in this mess? Mine is not moving until this is over. Don't want to chance messing up my paint over a freaking bug..

For those that don't know. Love bugs are these tiny black bugs that are "stuck" together and when they splatter on your car, their juices eat through your paint in about 12 hours. Nasty little things.

Everytime I park during love bug season I take out the baby wipes which removes them quickly as long as you don't let them sit for hours. Then I hit it with a quick spray wax.

nancygrl 05-02-2011 02:59 PM

LOL...that's another reason to fly instead of driving to visit my sister in Boca

ABM/IOM 05-02-2011 03:03 PM

The easiest way to remove the love bugs is to take a dryer sheet and spray some water on it and rub the love bugs right off. This works for fresh love bugs you just hit or ones that have been on for a few hours.
You can buy the cheap dollar store ones, they work like a charm.
If the love bugs are left on your paint for a few days and really bake into the paint, they can eat through the clear coat, in which case you can use ICE liquid clay bar on it. Buff the liquid clay bar in by hand then wipe clean with a microfiber cloth. Repeat until the clear oat looks new
Neither product will harm you paint job. I've done this many times.

KowalskiCamaro 05-02-2011 03:05 PM

When I used to live in Florida, I would have to stop sometimes because so many love bugs had splattered on my windshield that I couldn't see. Nasty suckers!

Skyblu 05-02-2011 03:14 PM

very nasty indeed, I hate the smell of them too! I wash the front of my car everyday when I get home during the season.

Nvincent4708 05-02-2011 03:18 PM

So glad I live in Maryland.. I have enough problems with paint chips