Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   OEM Spoiler Install (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69892)

rjcamaro 03-08-2010 08:42 PM

OEM Spoiler Install

Anyone have directions for installing the GM spoiler? I have a friend buying a used one. Is there a template?

Thanks!

itsadryheat79 03-09-2010 10:33 AM

No directions but here is a hint:
If you install one of these spoilers you need to remember it may not come predrilled for the bumpers two mtg bolts under the car. You may need to drill out the accesse holes which are marked on the new spoiler. These access holes are needed so that you can get to the two stock mtg bolts that connect the bumper under the car.

Tools: In case you need to remove the bumper. - may not be required in your case.
1/8" socket rench shown with a 10mm socket and extention needs to pivot!
7 tools including the beer opener :) - also included in photo is my 2 cents!
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...oval_tools.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/a...umperOff01.jpg

rjcamaro 03-09-2010 03:36 PM

Thanks! Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant the rear trunk spoiler. :)

xpanda305x 03-09-2010 07:36 PM

well. if you dont have the holes in the trunk. then you will need to take it to a shop to have them drill the spolier holes..

dirtydogg 03-10-2010 06:27 AM

you were right calling it a spoiler the other is a rear diffuser. i sold my factory spoiler to someone else, they made a timplate with cardboard using the underside of the spoiler. or if you know someone with a spoiler on their car they come off real easy and you can use the holes on that car to make a timplate. there is 6 studs and 1 plastic clip that you have to drill holes for. you could also call your local chevy dealer they may have a timplate. remember when you are installing the spoiler that you use some type of thread locker on the studs/nuts. chevy had a problem with them coming loose and rattling. too bad you don't live near me i would gladly do it at no charge. if you have the nerve you don't need a shop to do it.

rjcamaro 03-10-2010 04:37 PM

Thanks! Good idea!

Angrybird 12 03-10-2010 04:53 PM

No need to do any of that, get you a step drill bit, and take off the 4 round black plugs and the under trunklid pad, you will then see the 6 mounting locations for the spoiler, mark the center of each of the 6 holes, then just use the step drill to drill them out until you get the proper sized holes for the bolts, clean up the holes and use some touch up paint to cover the bare metal. Mount the spoiler and use loctite on the studs. recap the 4 outside holes and replace the under trunklid pad and you are done.

rjcamaro 03-10-2010 06:19 PM

Cool! That will work, thanks! :thumbup:

dirtydogg 03-10-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyman 08 (Post 1572222)
No need to do any of that, get you a step drill bit, and take off the 4 round black plugs and the under trunklid pad, you will then see the 6 mounting locations for the spoiler, mark the center of each of the 6 holes, then just use the step drill to drill them out until you get the proper sized holes for the bolts, clean up the holes and use some touch up paint to cover the bare metal. Mount the spoiler and use loctite on the studs. recap the 4 outside holes and replace the under trunklid pad and you are done.

are the hole positions premarked on the underside? mine came with a spoiler so don't know, but if you look you can see pre marked hole spots for the high wing spoiler that gm was going to offer.
plus i dont think that you can access all of the hole spots from under the trunklid pad the ones on the right or center right are at an angle.

Angrybird 12 03-11-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydogg (Post 1572673)
are the hole positions premarked on the underside? mine came with a spoiler so don't know, but if you look you can see pre marked hole spots for the high wing spoiler that gm was going to offer.
plus i dont think that you can access all of the hole spots from under the trunklid pad the ones on the right or center right are at an angle.

I put a OEM Style spoiler on and had no problem accessing the holes where it goes, I am not sure what holes you are talking about I don;t see why they would be any different from the 4 outter holes, But I didn't use the 2 center holes on mine, I didn't think they were necessary on a small spoiler like the OEM. The holes were not premarked but you just need to drill in the center of the access holes that already exist.. It took me about 30 minutes to install mine..

dirtydogg 03-12-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyman 08 (Post 1574405)
I put a OEM Style spoiler on and had no problem accessing the holes where it goes, I am not sure what holes you are talking about I don;t see why they would be any different from the 4 outter holes, But I didn't use the 2 center holes on mine, I didn't think they were necessary on a small spoiler like the OEM. The holes were not premarked but you just need to drill in the center of the access holes that already exist.. It took me about 30 minutes to install mine..

the ones i was talking about are the two that are beside each other, one is a stud the other is the plastic clip

Angrybird 12 03-13-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydogg (Post 1582765)
the ones i was talking about are the two that are beside each other, one is a stud the other is the plastic clip

Mine didn't have any plastic clip... must be something used at the factory, You can probably do away with it if you wanted to....
But if you still want to use it, In that case just forget my instructions, sorry...

LS/V6 03-14-2010 12:29 PM

Here's a picture so you guys can see whats going on....

Quote:

I think your right on that never noticed them before at least thats what they look like

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...DSCF0012-1.jpg

Red67Stang 03-14-2010 10:14 PM

I just installed my OEM GM Spoiler last weekend. I took a piece of cardboard and cut it to fit the underside of the spoiler and punched out the holes in the cardboard for the studs. I laid it on the trunk and marked my holes. I then drilled the holes. Be careful not to let the drill slide off the shiny paint. I drilled holes larger than the studs to allow for movement before tightening. Then touched up the holes with touch-up paint. I applied a thin layer of clear silicone around each hole to make sure to water leaked. Set the spoiler down, tightened it up, put lock-tite on the threads and DONE! Looks great!