Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Manual or Automatic? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036)

TFord 04-23-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 63517)
I must be a real oddball...

I'm very happy with the 4L60E automatic in my GMC. I can give it a decent amount of gas and enjoy the engine's low-end torque without having to wind it out to 5,000 rpm, or I can drop the hammer and have it downshift WAY faster than I can shift a manual transmission. There's no need to shift ahead of time, though if I wanted to I certainly could; the column shifter gets it in gear quickly enough, faster than the tranny in some cars equipped with paddle shifters, and certainly fast enough when we're talking about shifting ahead of time.

I agree the 4L60E is a great automatic trans....and its great to modify. the auto in my old camaro would give you whiplash the shifts were so quick and tight.

z28collection 04-23-2008 03:51 PM

mt or at

im new to the forum but real sports cars have manual trannys its the way to go.i own one auto car its my 81 z28 and the only reason i got it is because it was a steal.

Shadowsong 04-23-2008 04:52 PM

Well...actually, 'real' sports cars are moving towards Twin clutch semi-automatic transmissions. You can shift with paddles if you feel the need, no clutch petal, but you can let the computer shift for you if you don't feel like pulling the paddle on the steering wheel.

The GT-R has it, Ferrari has had it for years, the Evo X MR has it, did I mention F1 Cars have been using this for years as well?

z28collection 04-23-2008 05:53 PM

mt or at

im not saying autos are bad for sports cars, there is just something about being a little bit more connected to the car. i love being able to drive the car, my wifes 05 4 runner i hate because it does to much for you and you dont really feel like your driving the car, the computer is. but maybe thats what the masses want.

JustinZS 04-23-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28collection (Post 64808)
im not saying autos are bad for sports cars, there is just something about being a little bit more connected to the car. i love being able to drive the car, my wifes 05 4 runner i hate because it does to much for you and you dont really feel like your driving the car, the computer is. but maybe thats what the masses want.

Definitely agree with that one. Nothing like a perfect rev-match or shift. Although you used to also be able to make the argument that you can shift and accelerate faster rowing your own gears but nowadays with the crazy shifting speed of dual clutch tranny's it's hard to make that side of the argument.

Mindz 04-24-2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowsong (Post 64803)
Well...actually, 'real' sports cars are moving towards Twin clutch semi-automatic transmissions. You can shift with paddles if you feel the need, no clutch petal, but you can let the computer shift for you if you don't feel like pulling the paddle on the steering wheel.

The GT-R has it, Ferrari has had it for years, the Evo X MR has it, did I mention F1 Cars have been using this for years as well?

MR edition is a cosmetics package. The Evo X has it.

Shadowsong 04-24-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 64899)
MR edition is a cosmetics package. The Evo X has it.

Nope, the GSR has a manual transmission, the MR has the Twin clutch, better suspension etc., Trust me on this one I've been watching the Evo carefully.

radz28 04-24-2008 05:50 PM

I thought this was a Camaro forum...
j/k :D