Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Weird whistle-like sound coming from front of car...just curious. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199053)

WhoDat24 02-01-2012 09:00 AM

Weird whistle-like sound coming from front of car...just curious.

I honestly :search: -ed for a thread on this, but after a while I had no idea what to put in the search terms for this question.

My car is just about 3 years old, close to 50k miles. Occasionally I would hear this random whistle-like noise coming from the front of the car lasting for about one long second. At first it was pretty rare I would hear it, so I shrugged it off. However recently the whistle has been more and more frequent. I made a short trip into town today and I must have heard this whistle noise about 5 times. Anybody experiencing this whistle-like noise? It almost sounds like a child's toy. Anyway, thanks for y'alls help.

BowtieBelle 02-01-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoDat24 (Post 4410766)
I honestly :search: -ed for a thread on this, but after a while I had no idea what to put in the search terms for this question.

My car is just about 3 years old, close to 50k miles. Occasionally I would hear this random whistle-like noise coming from the front of the car lasting for about one long second. At first it was pretty rare I would hear it, so I shrugged it off. However recently the whistle has been more and more frequent. I made a short trip into town today and I must have heard this whistle noise about 5 times. Anybody experiencing this whistle-like noise? It almost sounds like a child's toy. Anyway, thanks for y'alls help.

Do you have a cold air intake?

nyrfan 02-01-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowtieBelle (Post 4410807)
Do you have a cold air intake?

this

MichaelH 02-01-2012 09:49 AM

or a new throttle body that isnt on correctly. i had a whistle sound from my car b/c the throttle body wasnt tightened enough

cam62 02-01-2012 09:55 AM

what about a catch can with a drain tube?

Dirtdog 02-01-2012 10:17 AM

Do you have a turbo?

Seriously though, wasnt there something weird with the side mirrors or something that caused an occasional whistling sound

MoCamaro20 02-01-2012 10:21 AM

yes my mirrors whistle every now and then lmao

nyrfan 02-01-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtdog (Post 4411164)
Do you have a turbo?

Seriously though, wasnt there something weird with the side mirrors or something that caused an occasional whistling sound

Yea there is some hamonic noise from the mirrors (has been discussed in the past), but I assumed the OP was hearing it from the engine.

WhoDat24 02-01-2012 12:15 PM

hey thanks for the responses... definitely not from the mirrors, lol. Like I said it is a difficult sound to describe. In response to a few of you, my car is 100% factory outside of an aftermarket axle back exhaust, so it couldn't be a cold air intake or turbo. it sounds like if you were to hum or whistle a low pitch then go to a high pitch.

scythezo6 02-01-2012 01:01 PM

The only whistling I hear is from my side mirrors. Known issue. If not that, then I don't know.

nebchevy 02-01-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scythezo6 (Post 4412072)
The only whistling I hear is from my side mirrors. Known issue. If not that, then I don't know.

Did they ever come up with a fix for the mirror noise?? Mine has done it bad from day 1

jax 02-01-2012 02:13 PM

Mine makes a whistling noise (under the hood) after I cut it off. Last for about 10 to 15 seconds. Has always done it.

Runawayhacker 02-01-2012 02:23 PM

I also have a whistling sound that is very ... sporadic sounding. It is kinda quiet and squeaky when idle. At first i thought it was a slipping belt, but opened the hood and listened, but didn't hear anything. I have the K&N CAI, but all the hoses are airtight and nothing loose. Should it still be making that noise?

BowtieBelle 02-01-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runawayhacker (Post 4412409)
I also have a whistling sound that is very ... sporadic sounding. It is kinda quiet and squeaky when idle. At first i thought it was a slipping belt, but opened the hood and listened, but didn't hear anything. I have the K&N CAI, but all the hoses are airtight and nothing loose. Should it still be making that noise?

A lot of times the vacuum created by the CAI will cause that whistle.

OP-- man, I dunno. You've got me stumped...