Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   DSX Flex Fuel Kits - E85 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422154)

LTRS777 09-03-2015 02:29 PM

DSX Flex Fuel Kits - E85

I know there are a lot of E85 threads out there right now, I am specifically asking about the DSX Tuning flex fuel kit (or others available). I was quoted $350 for a "plug and play" kit. What exactly does this entail and has anyone used this kit? Your thoughts/experience? Is this something I can plug and play, pump some e85 and start driving/benefitting or is this something I / tuner installs, retunes the car, and then start driving? Just trying to gather more information on this or other flex fuel setups.

I've been told E85 on an NA setup, tuned, can net 10-15Whp. Although nothing outrageous, its still as much as a lot of other mods and for those of us running 93, its really at no additional cost ($2.49-2.65/gal 93 and $1.78-1.91/gal E85), but provides exponentially more power with FI and safeguard. Loss of 30% fuel economy is pretty much netted in the difference in price. I just would like to have it for now and for in the future. Would really appreciate any feedback.

SNSSTR 09-03-2015 02:45 PM

I have it (the DSX kit). Even though it is plug and play, you still have to do a few things. Have to install the sensor in the fuel line (it may come with this stuff). It will come with a 3 wire harness - you have to run one wire to switched 12v one wire to a ground and one wire to pin 40 on your ECM. Once that is done the sensor is good. In order for it to work, your tuner will go into your tune and turn on flex fuel and make sure it is monitoring the alcohol content in the fuel. Then if all is good he will tune it on e85.

You mentioned the loss in fuel economy - this also means you're USING 30% more fuel too. So you need to make sure that your injectors and fuel pump are able to keep up with the additional fuel volume required for e85.

Hope this helps - I just did the kit on mine and it works great, I love the smell.

LTRS777 09-03-2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNSSTR (Post 8621181)
I have it (the DSX kit). Even though it is plug and play, you still have to do a few things. Have to install the sensor in the fuel line (it may come with this stuff). It will come with a 3 wire harness - you have to run one wire to switched 12v one wire to a ground and one wire to pin 40 on your ECM. Once that is done the sensor is good. In order for it to work, your tuner will go into your tune and turn on flex fuel and make sure it is monitoring the alcohol content in the fuel. Then if all is good he will tune it on e85.

You mentioned the loss in fuel economy - this also means you're USING 30% more fuel too. So you need to make sure that your injectors and fuel pump are able to keep up with the additional fuel volume required for e85.

Hope this helps - I just did the kit on mine and it works great, I love the smell.

Thanks for the info! I think they are "plug and play" now, meaning harness wise, it comes with a harness plug that keeps you from having to tag off the ecu wires "manually". You just plug a Y cable in-line or something. With that peace of mind, what about the actual physical fuel line? How exactly does this go "in-line"?

Again thanks for the info. I have a tuner lined up for this once installed, I am just trying to make sure I understand this correctly. With all the flex fuel vehicles in the GM line, I imagine this being a relatively OEM type operation (outside of just turning it on and tuning for it). Thanks again!

PS - Do you know how much you gained on your HCI car?

SNSSTR 09-03-2015 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTRS777 (Post 8621215)
Thanks for the info! I think they are "plug and play" now, meaning harness wise, it comes with a harness plug that keeps you from having to tag off the ecu wires "manually". You just plug a Y cable in-line or something. With that peace of mind, what about the actual physical fuel line? How exactly does this go "in-line"?

Again thanks for the info. I have a tuner lined up for this once installed, I am just trying to make sure I understand this correctly. With all the flex fuel vehicles in the GM line, I imagine this being a relatively OEM type operation (outside of just turning it on and tuning for it). Thanks again!

PS - Do you know how much you gained on your HCI car?

I don't have an actual picture of my setup that would be close enough to see, but here is one from a G8...same concept for the Camaro. Some Russell fittings to tie it in.

http://i.imgur.com/FvgFA9x.jpg

I wonder how you would send the alcohol percentage to the ECM without putting the wire into the ECM harness? It can't piggyback off an existing wire because they are being used for other signals. For power/ground, sure, but you will probably still have to put the pin in #40 for the ECM.

I gained about 17 rwhp/rwtq on my setup

LTRS777 09-03-2015 03:51 PM

That's a good point about the ECM. I was hoping there was just a flying/hanging open harness connector it clipped into or similar. For a daily driver, I HATED having to splice into or similar a harness wire. I am all about spending the extra money for connectors and similar to plug into wiring (especially if I wanted to undo it later). I've contacted DSX through facebook, I just need to get some more pictures/info on their kit.

SNSSTR 09-03-2015 04:00 PM

Its really not hard to put the pin in #40...Here's a good thread on the whole process! Click here

dreksnot 09-03-2015 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DSX harness adapter goes inline the fuel injector harness connectors (recommend DSX adapter but you can do your own, have fun). It provides the power to the flex fuel sensor. There is a lone wire that does to pin 40 of the ECU. That provides the alcohol percentage signal from the flex fuel sensor to the ECU.

The flex fuel sensor can be mounted various locations. I chose to install mine right at the end of the metal fuel line on the passenger inside front fender. You'll need a tool to remove the flexible hose fitting from the metal line (any auto parts store). I used some Russell fittings and Fragola coupler to make the install simple easy. (see picture)

Some of the flex fuel tables in the tune are populated, most aren't. Depending on how you want to tune it makes a difference. You can have it tuned to run whatever you put in the tank. The ECU will compensate for 0%, 100%, 50%, whatever and your driving experience will be seamless. Or, you can go 100% E85 (which is actually 70-80% alcohol where I'm at) tune and that's what you'll have to run all the time. Either way is simple for a good tuner.

dreksnot 09-03-2015 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNSSTR (Post 8621352)
Its really not hard to put the pin in #40...Here's a good thread on the whole process! Click here

Just remember to pop out the plug chad before trying to insert the wire from the flex fuel sensor.

LTRS777 09-03-2015 04:24 PM

You guys rock thank you!!

My ideal situation was to have it like any other GM vehicle. If I want to just drop in 93, great, if I want an extra 10 horsies, drop in e85 (and later in life use it as a safety net for a blower or similar) (or anywhere inbetween). I just like the idea of options and safety and similar. running "race fuel" and ethanol's cooling properties for $1.83/gallon.

blackoutVIII 09-03-2015 04:29 PM

So you're telling me that If I want to run E85 full time, I will need a tune. But, if I just want to go from gas to E85 whenever, I just install it and forget it. Am I correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreksnot (Post 8621381)

Some of the flex fuel tables in the tune are populated, most aren't. Depending on how you want to tune it makes a difference. You can have it tuned to run whatever you put in the tank. The ECU will compensate for 0%, 100%, 50%, whatever and your driving experience will be seamless. Or, you can go 100% E85 (which is actually 70-80% alcohol where I'm at) tune and that's what you'll have to run all the time. Either way is simple for a good tuner.

dreksnot 09-03-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackoutVIII (Post 8621411)
So you're telling me that If I want to run E85 full time, I will need a tune. But, if I just want to go from gas to E85 whenever, I just install it and forget it. Am I correct?

That is not what I said. You will HAVE to have it tuned regardless to run E85, whether you want to have a blended flex fuel composition or pure E85. There are flex fuel tables that need to be populated in the OEM tune to allow flex fuel to be run, regardless.

191185 09-03-2015 06:08 PM

Holy Cow ! I would gladley do this to my camaro. Will it add 10-15 Whp to the V6's as well ??

John_C 10-11-2017 12:55 AM

So all I need to run E85 is run this plug and play sensor and then tune for E85 via HP Tuners?

https://dsxtuning.com/collections/fl...-camaro-ss-1le

No changing fuel pump and injectors?

This almost sounds too easy.

DSX Tuning 10-12-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_C (Post 9935865)
So all I need to run E85 is run this plug and play sensor and then tune for E85 via HP Tuners?

https://dsxtuning.com/collections/fl...-camaro-ss-1le

No changing fuel pump and injectors?

This almost sounds too easy.

I've tried to make it easy. :)