Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My sons 2011 V6 LT1 warning lights (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588610)

Saltee 02-21-2021 06:34 PM

My sons 2011 V6 LT1 warning lights

My sons 2011 Lt 1 TPMS light and engine light are on. I have correct tire pressure and have “relearned” the system with no results. The car had been sitting for over a year prior to gifting it to him for holidays. I reset the ECM and the lights (TPMS and engine) were no longer present. The TPMS was relearned after the reset and all 4 tires read 32psi although the PSI is 35 all 4 tires. The engine light was steady - not blinking- since the purchase. Car runs well almost too well for a 16 year old. The only OBDII code I’ve ever received is P0420. I’ve replaced gas cap, changed oil, replaced coolant, air filter but not the plugs yet. The car had old gas and I’ve since been adding premium gas. I’ve read in the forums of a relearning process for the car by driving it @ 55mph for certain distance and time..etc. again the car is running great. The TPMS light came back on after approx 20 miles and the engine light soon followed.

I’m thinking that the TPM sensors need to be replaced- the sensor light blinks repeatedly after startup then stays solid. The engine light- I’ve read could be bad Cat - I’m doubting that and leaning toward the upstream O2 sensor.

I hope I was detailed enough in my breakdown. This is my first post. I appreciate your time and any/all advice. Has anyone else encountered the same or similar issues? My kid loves his car and I want to address the warning lights with my available resources before my pocket. 😉

Thanks again!

redcoats1976 02-21-2021 06:57 PM

it is possible the batteries in your tpms sensors are bad if they are original.if the car battery is old or weak it can cause dash lights to come on for no apparent reason,might be wise to get the battery checked out at a parts store.most will do that for free.the fact that it had been sitting for a year makes me wonder about the batterys condition.

Saltee 02-21-2021 07:03 PM

Thank you! The car battery is showing correct amperage on a meter as well as the OBDII. The TPMS warning light blinks on start up which -I was told signifies a bad sensor. I appreciate your reply very much. Is it possible that the TPMS somehow sets off the engine light?

hyattjn 02-21-2021 09:40 PM

That code correlates to catalytic converter issue, So i'm doubtful the TPMS sensors battery dying was causing it to throw it. TPMS sensors suck and if any of those batteries die for even a second it will light up the tpms light.

Previous post about battery is probably where to start if its been sitting a while, I have a SS had to add a few grounds due to electrical gremlins but not sure if thats as big an issue with the V6.

My guess is the 02 sensor or Cat like you mentioned if the battery checks out.

hyattjn 02-21-2021 09:43 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G29Ic7kjzJk

if your really broke can try that

Badbubba 02-21-2021 10:40 PM

How did you "relearn" the sensors? Probably not if you have a P0420, which is a catalytic converter code. Most likely the 2nd, down stream O2. I believe you have cats on both sides. Bank 1 being driver's.Were the cats deleted, replaced or possibly a tune on the car? Mods removed from the car and original tune never restored? What was their reasoning for the cel? Imo, what you did and plan to replace will not correct the issue with that code.

redcoats1976 02-21-2021 11:45 PM

do you have a known good battery that you can try?rob from another car if you have one that will fit and see if it helps.

Saltee 02-22-2021 02:30 AM

It is the first used car I have ever purchased outside of a 76 Stingray. The car battery is showing correct amperage 14.7 on a meter as well as the OBDII - I believe it was replaced prior to the purchase of the vehicle. I’m confident now that it is the actual sensors that are throwing the TPMS light. In reference to the SES and resetting. I removed the PCM BATT and the PCM IGN fuses - waited for a couple cold beers time and replaced the fuses in reverse order. I have not performed the GM OBDII Driving Cycle. I have not check the plugs but I did read that perhaps they are the cause. No black smoke, no odor, and car runs well- it doesn’t start as quickly as our other vehicles but then again it is not new. Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

Saltee 03-04-2021 07:30 AM

Hi y’all.. My son needs a aftermarket radio for his 2011 3.6l v6 LT1 w/ back up camera. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

TheFlyingBananaSS 03-04-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltee (Post 10965902)
Hi y’all.. My son needs a aftermarket radio for his 2011 3.6l v6 LT1 w/ back up camera. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I would explore the AUDIO section of the forum.

Saltee 03-04-2021 11:34 AM

Thanks I’m relatively new on the site. I appreciate your help

TheFlyingBananaSS 03-04-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltee (Post 10966081)
Thanks I’m relatively new on the site. I appreciate your help

No trouble sir. Explore some of the other sections too. There's a good deal of variety and tech information available.

mikeman 03-04-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyattjn (Post 10959417)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G29Ic7kjzJk

if your really broke can try that

No offense, but that guy needs to see a good dentist. lol!

Saltee 03-04-2021 07:30 PM

He gave some advice- I didn’t follow it but either way I appreciate his help. I thought he could see into the future...