Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   RPM Trans, DSS axles, JRE posi mod (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218861)

RxDoc08 04-24-2012 02:40 PM

RPM Trans, DSS axles, JRE posi mod

To make a long story short, I have a 2011 SS Camaro and had an upper rpm 2nd gear grind. I waited until I made it through the break-in period in hopes that it would get better, but it only got worse. I would wait until the trans was fully warm, but to no avail, it would grind every time I would try and shift into 2nd gear near the red line. After scouting out a few trans builders, I decided to go with an RPM Level 6 trans mainly because I wouldn't have as much down time as if I had to ship my trans to a builder and have them send it back to me. I must say that this was one of the better decisions I've made. Without having to worry about breaking the trans I can now drive the car like it was meant to be driven. I can now row through the gears without worry of grinding a gear. It shifts much smoother than my stock trans and I'm sure it will only get better as I put a few miles on it. Paired with The Driveshaft Shop Level 5 axles and new rear gears with the JRE posi mod, I'm hoping this lasts me a long time before having to upgrade again. Ted and his crew at Jannetty Racing did all of the installation and they did a great job. TJ at RPM Transmissions and of course Ted at Jannetty Racing have a great product and superb customer service. I plan on making some big power next year with a centrifugal supercharger addition and I would highly recommend talking to RPM Transmissions if you don't want to worry about grinding gears and your trans breaking with the increased horsepower.

Camaro21 04-24-2012 02:44 PM

Thanks for the post.. My tranny is about the only thing left stock on my car.

DandD 04-24-2012 03:17 PM

Hi RxDoc08, I like you have built the drive line of my car before adding the power, the only piece of the puzzle I still need to take care of is the rear end, so I am interested in your impressions of the Jannetty posi mod with gears (I'm looking at going with 3:91 gears). Did you also get the billet end caps? I believe that the stock rear end with the posi mod and billet end caps should hold when I go up to the 500 rwhp level next year, now when I step up to the 600 rwhp level I will probably have to bite the bullet and go with a 9" rear end, until then I'm hoping the posi mod,end caps and gears will hold. I think I know how nice that car feels to drive now I've had a lot of the same things done, Liberty did my trans, monster level 3 clutch, DSS axles and driveshaft, Pfadt arms and toe rods, BMR subframe connectors.....the car feels solid as hell now and shifts great like you said.

RxDoc08 04-24-2012 03:33 PM

I would have liked to go with a 9" kit, but at my current power level and with my future goals in mind, I think the stock differential will hold with the billet caps. If it doesn't, then a 9" rear will be replacing it. I was worried about having vibrations from the axles as others have stated, but I didn't have one single problem or complaint from the 8 hour drive home. Well, that's not totally true...I do have some wicked drone at 1800 rpm from my Borla S catback, but a little gear shifting fixes that. J-pipes are in my future though.

DandD 04-24-2012 06:24 PM

Yes I've had no vibration issues at all with my axles either, I've got about 1500 miles and 22 passes on them now. How is the posi mod for driving on the street, I've seen some people complain about it, clunking in turns and the such, it's nice being able to pick somebodies brain on this who had them installed properly which I think is part of the problem some people are encountering.

RxDoc08 04-24-2012 06:52 PM

I was actually worried that the Richmond gears would whine really bad, but from my initial test drive before the final dyno tune, I can honestly say I didn't hear any whine at all. I haven't noticed any clunking coming from the rear of the car either, and I'm anal about unwanted sounds coming from my car.

DandD 04-24-2012 07:06 PM

Thats great, thanks Doc I'll check back in with you in about a month and see how things are going with all the new parts.

Dan