Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Storing a Z for winter (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582960)

Cvargz4589 10-11-2020 09:54 AM

Storing a Z for winter

Hi everyone! I’m not sure if there was a thread on this topic yet or not since I’m a newbie to the forum & a newbie Z owner. Just cleaned it up as the first step for hibernation. I have a ctek battery tender & stabil fuel stabilizer on order from Amazon. Also, bought the GM fitted indoor car cover to keep her covered up. It will be in a heated garage. Since the battery is in the trunk, any tips to keeping the trunk light from staying on while the battery is hooked up? Or do you recommend taking the battery out completely? Anymore recommendations for storing a Z for winter or an extended period of time in general?

Thanks!

0stones0 10-11-2020 10:14 AM

You can hook the tender up under the hood. Have a look see and you’ll find a jumper post for the positive. At least, there is on mine.

SIM GhostrdrZ 10-11-2020 10:15 AM

No worries on trunk light. It’s on a timer as is all other systems to turn off as not to drain the battery. So hook up tender and I just set trunk down but don’t latch it and I have a hole in car cover for tender cable so it doesn’t touch car body. Do something as not to flat spot your tires, park on rubber flooring, carpet pieces or some put up in the air via stands or a lift. Change oil/filter before storage or before you drive it in the spring(depends on whom you ask).

SIM GhostrdrZ 10-11-2020 10:31 AM

The under hood posts are probably good to use as well. I just have an old habit of charging directly to battery or battery removed. My reasoning is not to burn out sensitive computer modules or wiring.

X77-69z28 10-11-2020 01:11 PM

I always over inflate the tires to 45lbs. I hook my battery tender right to the battery. The trunk will close over the wire. I don’t want to find anything in the trunk!

69L48Z27 10-11-2020 07:11 PM

I either use the under hood posts or connect to the battery direct. When I connected to the battery I popped a truck pan plug out and ran the maintainer through that hole.

4 FN 27 10-12-2020 09:42 AM

Thread from back in 2015..."Winterizing"

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=19

Cvargz4589 10-13-2020 08:30 PM

Awesome!! Thanks for all the pointers! Great info!

SIM GhostrdrZ 10-16-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 (Post 10883326)
I either use the under hood posts or connect to the battery direct. When I connected to the battery I popped a truck pan plug out and ran the maintainer through that hole.

I like it. Routing battery tender through trunk pan plug now.
Thanks

The_Raging_Bull 10-16-2020 11:56 AM

I just used the post in my engine bay to hook up the maintainer, then crack the hood with the maintainer 25 ft wire coming out to the maintainer beside the car. Really its whatever floats your boat. I have the best Optima PC1200 dry cell battery in my trunk..not the lead acid original battery, the key idea is to keep it properly charged with a desulfating maintainer.

0stones0 10-16-2020 12:15 PM

Ran a pigtail from the engine post, out the front of the grill, next to the left blinker. Got a nice rubber plug that fits over the end of the pigtail when it’s not hooked up, to keep it clean and dry. Keep it hooked up 365 days a year. Just replaced the factory battery this year.

Cvargz4589 10-17-2020 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I checked the fluids, added fuel stabilizer, put some thicker pieces of cardboard between the tires & cement garage floor, hooked up the brand new ctek battery tender (ran through the bottom of the trunk via pulled drain plug), & covered her up with the new GM fitted Camaro indoor cover. As you can see, she’s all set for hibernation until spring (unfortunately)!

Thanks again for all the pointers on getting my Z ready for her first winter up north!

DannyZ 10-20-2020 09:29 AM

Dryer sheets (Bounce, etc.) in the cabin, engine bay, and trunk.

Moth balls or flakes under the car and around it. These will dissolve over time so should be refreshed. Yes, your garage will smell for a few days but it's better than mice.

Steel wool in the exhaust tips.

I hate mice. :mad2:

denboy1 10-20-2020 11:44 AM

I flip the floor mats and put Irish Spring on all the mats, in the trunk and engine.

Also might want to put some bumpers on the sides.