Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Better cooling for the Maggie (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287658)

s00pey 04-06-2013 10:39 PM

Better cooling for the Maggie

I see on a couple threads, some run real hot, some are cool. I just tried mine out for a couple miles the other day, seemed pretty hot. Not sure what a long trip will do. Is there a better way to keep them cool? Right now it is just mixed antifreeze. Still waiting for winter to go away here.

Kronix 04-06-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s00pey (Post 6392394)
I see on a couple threads, some run real hot, some are cool. I just tried mine out for a couple miles the other day, seemed pretty hot. Not sure what a long trip will do. Is there a better way to keep them cool? Right now it is just mixed antifreeze. Still waiting for winter to go away here.

I word....Meth.

Check out ALKY Control Methanol kits, best made Meth kit out there, each one is custom made per vehicle. Adds 25% HP & cools IATS by well over 50-60%. Been running mine for over a year, at 700+ RWHP and 11-11.5 lbs of boost

StephenS_84 04-07-2013 01:23 AM

Another thing that might help is try to find a hood or maybe the Hex vents to get that hot air out of the engine bay. I'm not sure how much this will help the maggie, but it couldn't hurt.

old motorhead 04-07-2013 09:15 AM

What exactly is hot that you're worried about? The motor or the blower? If you're not in boost, the blower is the coolest thing under the hood. Under boost, it heats up, but cools down quickly when you get your foot out of it. If you think the motor is running too hot for your tastes, add a cooler 'stat and upgrade the radiator. Meth only helps when you're under boost. And with a Maggie, the cooling attributes of meth are minimal at best.

Mchlgrrsn 04-07-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old motorhead (Post 6393256)
What exactly is hot that you're worried about? The motor or the blower? If you're not in boost, the blower is the coolest thing under the hood. Under boost, it heats up, but cools down quickly when you get your foot out of it. If you think the motor is running too hot for your tastes, add a cooler 'stat and upgrade the radiator. Meth only helps when you're under boost. And with a Maggie, the cooling attributes of meth are minimal at best.

agreed ... probably the motor .. i noticed big heat coming off cats, so remove them, they will eventually fail anyway. Oil cooler helps. Not a big fan of meth either.

james347 04-07-2013 07:00 PM

Long tube headers and high flow cats helped cool down my charger significantly.

GMteSSted 04-07-2013 08:13 PM

This: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196968

I've had my Super Chiller for over a year. Absolutely works the best. Probably the best mod for the money for consistent, hassle free, cooling.

victoryred1ss 04-09-2013 04:54 PM

Mine runs cool, I have the hex vents and the 1/2" heat spacer that JRE sells. I can drive mine for an hour and the chager is still cool to touch.

SUKXOST 04-09-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronix (Post 6392402)
I word....Meth.

Check out ALKY Control Methanol kits, best made Meth kit out there, each one is custom made per vehicle. Adds 25% HP & cools IATS by well over 50-60%. Been running mine for over a year, at 700+ RWHP and 11-11.5 lbs of boost

what other mods do you have to get to 700+WHP? Just meth and bolt ons with your TVS? JRE said not to go meth with my car..... wanting to cam and meth. I have the AI comp chiller kit on as well so my "IATs" are lower when on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by victoryred1ss (Post 6403802)
Mine runs cool, I have the hex vents and the 1/2" heat spacer that JRE sells. I can drive mine for an hour and the chager is still cool to touch.

over 700WHP as well....what other mods?

Kronix 04-09-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUKXOST (Post 6403816)
what other mods do you have to get to 700+WHP? Just meth and bolt ons with your TVS? JRE said not to go meth with my car..... wanting to cam and meth. I have the AI comp chiller kit on as well so my "IATs" are lower when on.

over 700WHP as well....what other mods?

I could list mods for an hour, but here's the gist of it under the hood:
TVS 2300 with 3.6 pulley & OD Cog Drive-11-11.5 lbs of boost
Kooks LTs with Green Cats, SLP X-Pipe & SLP Loud Mouth II exhaust
ALKY Control Meth
Custom grind blower Comp Cam with rods, valves & piston kit
CAI, Inc intake with plexiglass removed & Z-Force Ram inducted hood
Ported Throttle Body
Granatelli Coils & wires
ZR1 Plugs
ZR1 3 Bar Map Sensor
ZL1 Fuel pump with ADM FPCM
ID 850 Injectors
Jannetty Super Tensioner
One BAD AZZ Tuner-Ryne Cunningham, Cunningham Motorsports, and my tune is conservative,

I think that's most of it off the top of my head, won't get into suspension, drivetrain & rear as that's all been changed as well. Once I move back to NJ at the end of the month, I'll be adding Tracy's (RX Performance) Super Chiller also.

SUKXOST 04-10-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronix (Post 6405515)
I could list mods for an hour, but here's the gist of it under the hood:
TVS 2300 with 3.6 pulley & OD Cog Drive-11-11.5 lbs of boost
Kooks LTs with Green Cats, SLP X-Pipe & SLP Loud Mouth II exhaust
ALKY Control Meth
Custom grind blower Comp Cam with rods, valves & piston kit
CAI, Inc intake with plexiglass removed & Z-Force Ram inducted hood
Ported Throttle Body
Granatelli Coils & wires
ZR1 Plugs
ZR1 3 Bar Map Sensor
ZL1 Fuel pump with ADM FPCM
ID 850 Injectors
Jannetty Super Tensioner
One BAD AZZ Tuner-Ryne Cunningham, Cunningham Motorsports, and my tune is conservative,

I think that's most of it off the top of my head, won't get into suspension, drivetrain & rear as that's all been changed as well. Once I move back to NJ at the end of the month, I'll be adding Tracy's (RX Performance) Super Chiller also.

I'm on a 3.8 pulley and hitting 11 EASY, 12 in cold weather. I have a 1LE so it comes with the ZL1 fuel pump/tank and I have FIC850 injectors. Looks like your custom comp cam and meth are getting you that difference over my car. I'm looking into a driveability/DD cam with smooth idle and possibly meth. I was told I'd gain roughly 30WHP with a DD cam and re-tune.....guessing meth would double that at least but not sure why some are recommending no meth.

Awesome car man

SmokedSS 04-10-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMteSSted (Post 6395689)

I've had my Super Chiller for over a year. Absolutely works the best. Probably the best mod for the money for consistent, hassle free, cooling.

I have this same AI Chiller and it works great. My last experience @ the track and after heat soak from earlier run my IAT's were 115f when I started car to pull to stagging lanes and with chiller in comp mode within 2-3 minutes IAT's were 39f, stayed there through staging and only climbed to 89f by end of 1/4 mile run. Highway driving the other day 84f ambient temps and my water stayed low 50's f with IAT's matching, switched to comp to see difference and water dropped into low 30's F and IAT's followed.. This Chiller keeps the Maggie Cool!

rforbes 04-10-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMteSSted (Post 6395689)

I agree, one of the best mods I have done. Maggie coolant temps reading 38 degrees in 100 degree temperatures. :thumbsup:

victoryred1ss 04-12-2013 08:39 AM

over 700WHP as well....what other mods?[/QUOTE

TVS 2300 with 3.4 pulley & OD Cog Drive-12 lbs of boost
ARH LTs with Magnaflow dual 3" exhaust
JRE Maggie Max 2
JRE blower Comp Cam kit with dual springs etc.
ADM Race Intake with Scoup
102mm Throttle Body
ZR1 Plugs
ZR1 3 Bar Map Sensor
ZL1 Fuel pump with MSD BAP
ID 850 Injectors
Jannetty Super Tensioner
JRE Tune