Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - Mid-Atlantic (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   How well does the Camaro fare in DC traffic? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24121)

gtownCJA 05-24-2009 09:12 PM

How well does the Camaro fare in DC traffic?

I put in an order recently, but am concerned about a few things:

1) I sit in a lot of stop and go in DC on 495 and other highways, and am wondering if I should have ordered the auto instead of the manual. I have never driven manual in DC traffic, just wondering if anyone finds it annoying given the city's traffic? I commute about an hour total each day and can imagine the stop and go commute sucking with a stick.

2) I am concerned about visibility, DC drivers are pretty aggressive, change lanes a lot, and pass on the right side. Does anyone with a Camaro in the DC area have any difficulties given the visibility within the cockpit especially on the beltway and other highways?

joepitt 05-25-2009 05:32 AM

Visibility problem over blown (IMO)

I think the visibility problem is over blown. I drive and work in DC and have a LeSabre (large sedan) and Enclave (SUV type). I always use the mirrors in both, especially the Enclave. Being up so high even when I look out many of the smaller cars are below the window line. The Camaro would be too. Guys driving panel trucks, FedEx, UPS and other delivery vehicles have much worse visibility and do OK. I drive very prudently around all metro areas and reserve my speeding to open roads, which was much easier when I lived in Colorado:)

Xmicro_SS 05-25-2009 05:40 AM

As far as a manual in traffic. I sit in NY City traffic (which is slightly better than DC) and I have no issues with a 5 speed Honda CR-V or My Saturn SKY Redline. I plan on bringing my Camaro to work in nicer weather to take the load off my Honda and enjoy the drive. If you know how to drive a stick you leave room and try to roll in 1st as much as possible to save your clutch the wear. If it is real thick and stops constantly, then you just keep the clutch depressed and use neutral when you can. My Left calf is larger than my right calf though :D.

edog 05-25-2009 06:18 AM

I have driven it up from Fredericksburg, to Woodbridge, Fairfax, and Manassas. I thought it did great. I also agree the visibility issue is a bit exagerated.

As far as Manual vs Auto...It took me two hours to get home from Woodbridge to Fredericksburg the other day. I would not have wanted a Manual on that day. On the plus side I had more conversations with people on the highway than ever before.

OrangeCruSSh 05-26-2009 09:18 PM

I ordered a automatic for this same reason. I'm in bumper to bumper traffic everyday for 1 hour each way...there was no way in *ell I was going to get a manual. I'm more concerned about the dam potholes in DC!!! LOL

cfrid34 05-28-2009 06:33 AM

Same here. I ordered the auto trans for the same reason; shifting in DC traffic is no fun at all.

I'm at 4000 and expecting the car in the next couple weeks. Has anyone considered adding additional mirrors to avoid the blind spots?

ZombieEatsYou 05-28-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfrid34 (Post 526074)
Same here. I ordered the auto trans for the same reason; shifting in DC traffic is no fun at all.

Word. How can I use my cell, twit and have my coffee driving a manual? People need to get real!
;)

Nezacant 05-28-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou (Post 526284)
Word. How can I use my cell, twit and have my coffee driving a manual? People need to get real!
;)

:laughabove:

ZombieEatsYou 05-28-2009 12:13 PM

Just got my VIN!!!!

Nezacant 05-28-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou (Post 527003)
Just got my VIN!!!!

Congrats! :thumbup: