Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Camaro Z/28 Nurburgring time = 7:37.47 !! [VIDEO] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323131)

alex70olds 10-14-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkorgan (Post 7093112)
I would bet a bigger margin of victory for the Z28 versus the ZL1 at VIR.

That would put it in some very exclusive company.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205729

mkorgan 10-14-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS (Post 7093125)
Over which car? You do realize that VIR is a great bit smaller than the ring?

over the zl1. The smaller the track, I would bet the large the margin of victory for the z28 over the zl1. The longer the straights, the hp starts to come into account to the zl1 benefit.

Mikamaro 10-14-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkorgan (Post 7093095)
if the conditions effected the time they should have waited for a better day. They were over there long enough for goodness sake. I bet if you put truth serum in the GM engineers and Mark S., I bet they were hoping for better. They post that time in those conditions because that was the best they could get. Sorry, if conditions were a negative impact, they should have ran on a better day. This was a very big deal.

How long were they there, do you know?

A test like this was done probably over 3 days. The logistic involved is daunting. They have to fine tune the car and monitor every change to make it the best on the last day and it was raining. Sorry but that's life...they probably extented it for another day but it wasn't better.

They had a specific time frame and had to deal with the weather.

Everyone hopes for better...it is what it is when it was done.

LS3 Handler 10-14-2013 08:31 PM

The car sounds amazing nothing like the roar of a 7.0 Liter motor screaming at 7000 rpms. The perfomance is awe inspiring and that driver can drive i saw the car atleast once start to slide at triple digit speeds, ive had mine slide at 50-60 mph and thats a good pucker factor there.

Number 3 10-14-2013 08:32 PM

So you all think GM picked a poor time on a rainy day to make the time public? As the OEM gets to pick the time and day this means you expect GM to post "LOL suckers just kidding we ran it again and did wayyyyy better". I'm just not seeing that happen.

tomster 10-14-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikamaro (Post 7092984)
Guys!! Did you watch the video? Watch it again and again please!! Conditions were far from ideal.
The track was 80% damp with light rain on 25% of the lenght.what do you expect?

Watch the slides at 4:36' and past the 6 minute mark, he's on light throtle. He oversteer of out corners 3 times due to water and at the most important turn right before the back strait. He completly miss is acceleration and has to lift. So I say that we did not see the top end speed it could off done.

All in all...about 3 seconds off would be fair. 7:35.00 would be the ideal time I think.
None the less he drove like an animal and my hats off to his 7:37.47 in damp conditions. Great job team chevy!!

So I am sure they had Lots of practice laps In "ideal" conditions but chose not to post them. Instead they post the video of the car when it was cold & damp. While technical, this is a horsepower track, I'm pretty sure gm wouldn't pick one of their middle of the road laps as the first video leaked! This is one of their better times and i am sure the cold helped. The car posted a time that i would have expected there. Had the car had the ZL1 Power you would have had the low 7:30 times everyone was looking for. But thats not what this car is about. It is about a 427 z/28 track car that will be sold mostly in the USA and can be driven home after your high performance day at the track. Last time i checked we don't have the "ring" here in america. Given the disadvantage of 80 less horsepower and still SMOKING the zl1 at the ring tell's me that this car is going to blow anything short of a race car off the smaller tracks we have here in america. can't wait to see the times a VIR!! Now that said i'm not selling my zl1 to get one. I drive my car everyday I can and only track it once every other month. You buy the car that fits your needs! Now if i tracked it more and drove it on the road less of course i would be buying the z/28! Didn't mean to ramble on but this car is truly amazing for what it is. Seems some people are just upset because they still haven't figured out what this car was intended to be.... If you are upset about the time because you think "striped car should be faster" clearly this is not the car for you and you. People who buy this car don't even hesitate to think about what it dont have! (This is why I will stay with the Zl1) People who by a z/28 are people who first know they HAVE TO OWN A CAMARO, and second plan to drive it to the track every chance they get blow everything else away on the track and then drive it home with no problems! Maybe take it to a show or two.... so you can brag about how you kicked that gtr's a$$

:happy0180::happy0180::happy0180::happy0180:

90503 10-14-2013 08:35 PM

Cool video....a little rain, eh....that's when they'll show up for sale, in the rainy months...lol....If that rain was that much of a factor, the times should only get better....

I say it was a teaser....we'll see another, better one pretty soon....

mkorgan 10-14-2013 08:35 PM

I have been vocal with my opinion but I would like to close out my thoughts with this....it is a great time to be a Camaro owner, fan, or enthusiast in general.

grocerygetter 10-14-2013 08:37 PM

Yah...awesome times...but not worth u guys trading in a ZL1 IMO.

Mikamaro 10-14-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex70olds (Post 7093100)
No kidding!
they actually surpassed this claim by .8 seconds. I actually thought they were referring to VIR, but I don't know.

FYI: it was done at the michigan proving grounds.

Which brings me to this conclusion: The smaller the track the larger the gap time between the ZL1.

Mikamaro 10-14-2013 08:44 PM

Lets not forget where it all started at the ring for the camaro SS back in 2009.
8:20.00
That more then 42 seconds off...
Incredible.

alex70olds 10-14-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikamaro (Post 7093215)

Which brings me to this conclusion. The smaller the track the larger the gap time between the ZL1.

Ah thanks, that is correct. I totally forgot.

I am not sure I agree, with the conclusion, but I have been wrong before.

Blueclyde 10-14-2013 08:45 PM

I think that's a great time. I don't expect that GM is holding back. That's clearly the best time that they've run or they wouldn't have posted it. It's an awesome time. Anybody thinking sub 7:30's was kidding themselves. The ZL1 is better suited for a track of this size. After seeing that lap, I'm quite frankly amazed that the ZL1 went 7:41. Both of these ring times are amazing for muscle cars.

I'd expect bigger gaps between the two Z's on smaller/tighter tracks. I say well done GM. That's an incredible lap for a big heavy Camaro.

LOWDOWN 10-14-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikamaro (Post 7093215)

Which brings me to this conclusion. The smaller the track the larger the gap time between the ZL1.

:word:

In an Auto-X, Z/28 all the way. @ Talladega, hmmmm...