Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - NY / NJ / PA (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fill her up! A question for Jerseyites and others at the gas pump. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34555)

tjd24 07-30-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S-10Ken (Post 738708)
Ive lived in Jersey all my life and have never had a problem pumping my own gas. I know you are not allowed but I dont think its much of an issue if you want to do it yourself.

Likewise - I always pump my own gas - the attendant usually doesn't balk (too busy talking on their cell phones which is another pet peeve of mine - I try to tell them the static discharge of an incoming call ring may ignite the vapors but most ignore it) as long as they get to process the credit card.

It is a farce that this state still hangs on to this...

radametz 07-30-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buby2 (Post 738624)
Never heard of such a law in NJ CT or NY for that matter. Just was in Livingston NJ to get the paperwork on my 2LT that I ordered and saw a gas station with a $2.34 price so I zipped in and filled her up MYSELF. Never let a monkey put gas in your Camaro. You just spent a whole bunch of bucks on a beautiful car why would you chance a monkey to overfill or spill gas on the paint ??? Lets not be lazy. my God.

I've lived in NJ all my life, and while I usually don't trust other people with my car, I've never had an attendant spill gas on the paint or anything else on the car for that matter. people aren't as incompetent as you may assume and are certainly not monkeys

myold88 07-31-2009 01:07 PM

I filled up in N.J. yesterday on my way back from D.C. My question is: how can gas be 15-18 cents cheaper in N.J. than Ct. and they have to pay an employee to pump it ?. Like a lot of other things, it doesn't make any sense.

vdevine 07-31-2009 01:12 PM

NOPE

Was there on vacation in June. Attendant gave me the "it's against the law to pump the gas your......" before I told him to go F*&^ himself.

mjdodd1107 08-03-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdevine (Post 743515)
Was there on vacation in June. Attendant gave me the "it's against the law to pump the gas your......" before I told him to go F*&^ himself.

I hope he told you the same, refused to pump your gas, and then asked you to leave. Sorry, I don't mean to be a jerk here, but how disrespectful is that? The guy was only doing his job, and here in NJ gas stations can be fined, and individuals can get fined/arrested for not following this law. The world would be a much better place if it ran on mutual respect and courtesy.

BBQTriAngle 08-04-2009 09:16 AM

Filled up for the first time yesterday, .. I let the guy do it, he seemed careful with handling the pump, but decided to lean on the back of the car with his hand while checking out the car, I started to get steamed but took a breath and let it go.. I enjoy wiping the car down constantly anyway!

8ty8 ls1 08-04-2009 10:03 AM

From working at a gas station in jersey when i was home from college, the "company's policy" was to not let anyone pump their own gas unless requested. It was explained to me as an "insurance thing" so if anything happened to the car (dings, scrapes, etc) the company wasn't liable. I let the attendants pump my gas only if the vehicle doesn't have much sentimental value haha. I always pumped my own gas in my Z28.

rodimus prime 08-04-2009 10:32 AM

Man, when I was younger I worked at a gas station and this lady came in and said she didnt know how to pump gas. I just kind of stared at her, seeing as she drove to the gas station. She then tells me shes from Jersey. I still just kind of stared at her. I was like and that means????

She then explained that she never pumped gas her whole life. She had to be 40 something easy. Way to breed stupidity New Jersey.

BBQTriAngle 08-04-2009 10:33 AM

I would only start pumping my own gas if it was taking too long, but it is def frowned upon...

Z/28orSs 08-05-2009 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjd24 (Post 738824)
Likewise - I always pump my own gas - the attendant usually doesn't balk (too busy talking on their cell phones which is another pet peeve of mine - [B]I try to tell them the static discharge of an incoming call ring may ignite the vapors but most ignore itt to process the credit card.

It is a farce that this state still hangs on to this...

n bergen co(NORTH EAST) MOST gas stations have credit card like things that unlocks the pump. that cell phone rumer was put to rest by myth busters

Xmicro_SS 08-05-2009 01:36 AM

I am a NYer, and I travel to NJ to work all the time. I get out and slide my credit card type in 50.00. and start to pump. If they say anything, I just say, "See my plate..........NY, we pump our own, besides you do not need the extra liability". Usually they just give you a dirty look or say fine.

NOBODY pumps my gas, until the day I need someone to wipe my A$$. :laugh: