Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - NY / NJ / PA (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Any Rochester C5'ers? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434699)

Bmatth1162 12-30-2015 11:05 PM

Any Rochester C5'ers?

It looks like I'm almost definitely moving to Rochester for a dental residency, but I didn't see a single C5 (or C1,2,3,4 for that matter) when I went for my interview. I did see ONE C7 vette, so RWD American cars must not be totally out of the question up there! Anyone use their camaro as a daily driver? Or are winters as bad as Saskatchewan? Do I basically have to sell my camaro for a truck (:sad0147:) is what I'm getting it...

vinman 12-30-2015 11:15 PM

There's a bunch of us in the upstateC5 section, check it out. Most of us put them up since the winters kinda suck here...

SoChrisB 01-01-2016 11:48 AM

I'm in Rochester. Took the car out a few days ago, but mostly away for the winter. You'll see more cars after winter.

td195f 01-01-2016 05:26 PM

Rochester New York or Rochester Minnesota?

Flashpoint135 01-03-2016 08:26 PM

I'm a Rochester daily driver year round - lots of miles every day (I work in Henrietta but live to the east out of the city). I put snow tires and steel wheels on during winter. Let me know if you need any info on Rochester.

ZED SLED 01-04-2016 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td195f (Post 8817748)
Rochester New York or Rochester Minnesota?

Well, this is in the NY/NJ/PA section.:bonk::smiling1:

OP, like mentioned above, check out UpstateC5 thread in sticky section above. Meanwhile here is a link to the members list. You can find member locations there.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...CM--4LYJ#gid=0

MMC 01-04-2016 10:19 AM

We average around 100" of snow and sometimes the lake dumps a lot more in some areas so I have a Silverado 4x4 as a daily driver and keep the SS as my sunny weekend ride. The last two winters have been brutal so not that many people venture out with their Camaros in the salt. :chevy:

SoChrisB 01-04-2016 10:36 AM

I was hoping for one more week of good weather, but the snow is here now. I work from home, but have a Rogue as a "daily".

td195f 01-04-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 8821816)
Well, this is in the NY/NJ/PA section.:bonk::smiling1:

OP, like mentioned above, check out UpstateC5 thread in sticky section above. Meanwhile here is a link to the members list. You can find member locations there.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...CM--4LYJ#gid=0

Thanks Mark.

I got screwed up on the Saskatchewan reference and didn't realize until a day later that it is the NY/NJ/PA section.:bonk:

Flashpoint135 01-08-2016 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the parking lot at work - the area away from everybody else:

SoChrisB 01-09-2016 07:27 AM

You must wash it a lot. They lay a ton of sold around here. I can't bring myself to take my car out.

Flashpoint135 01-09-2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoChrisB (Post 8831988)
You must wash it a lot. They lay a ton of sold around here. I can't bring myself to take my car out.

I understand. I do try to wash it a lot (like yesterday), but the deal when I bought it was it was going to be my daily and get tons of miles, so it won't have time to rust out anyway. It has gone through 4 Rochester winters already and has 109k miles. On the other hand my wife's vert will never see snow - it's hibernating in the garage. Maybe sometime this summer I'll take close up pictures of the underside and body to show what happens in the "worst case" scenario of driving one all year.

Ironically my two incidents of damage were a freak hailstorm on a sunny july day just a few weeks after I bought it ($3k damage), and another sunny summer day when I got rear-ended by a truck (minor - $700).

SoChrisB 01-10-2016 02:21 PM

That's reassuring to me. I worry about the rust. I moved up from downstate where much less salt is used. I look forward to your pics. Did you get any rust protection or anything ?

Flashpoint135 01-10-2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoChrisB (Post 8834013)
That's reassuring to me. I worry about the rust. I moved up from downstate where much less salt is used. I look forward to your pics. Did you get any rust protection or anything ?

No - no rust protection of any kind.

Forgetting these are Camaros for a second, all cars are much better now as far as rust goes. Take a look at all the Chevy Cruzes out there from the same years, I'm not seeing any of them rusting. No doubt the ones we run in the salt and snow will NOT last as long as the ones stored over the winter, but they aren't going to rust out in their first 5 years either --- this isn't 1974 :smiling1: (those of you as old as me will understand about 1974)