Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   DIY: Installing a Color Matched XM antenna. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85635)

GTAHVIT 05-25-2010 05:01 PM

DIY: Installing a Color Matched XM antenna.

Part 1 - remove stock antenna

Part 2 - install new color matched antenna

Alpinestar750 05-25-2010 06:26 PM

awesome vid, thanks!

GTAHVIT 05-28-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpinestar750 (Post 1903131)
awesome vid, thanks!

You're Welcome!

Part 2 is up now.

garcmol 05-28-2010 09:24 AM

Nice. How in the world did you get a camera up there?!?

GTAHVIT 05-28-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garcmol (Post 1915286)
Nice. How in the world did you get a camera up there?!?

I have a real cool hand held HD camara. Kodak Zx3 it's about the size of a Iphone just a bit thicker.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...502394&s=photo

so I can hold it up there to get good shots.

:thumbsup:

mlee 07-01-2010 04:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
First off, this is an awesome DIY video. Thanks for taking the extra time to film it for us...:thumbsup:

I got my antenna from Rogers Chevrolet and went to work on it today. Just wanted to share a couple notes I had on the install.

1) I didn't quite pull enough of the headliner down to get my big head up there. ...I needed to pull it out just past the B pillar about half way down the side window so it would drop down a little more for me. At first I didn't go past the B-pillar at all and it was pretty tight.

2) Chris you are awesome with that screwdriver and one handed un-plug...;). I failed...(errr gave up quickly) so I just popped both plugs out of the holder where I could get 2 hands on it. This worked VERY well and did not require a screwdriver. There is a press point on the plug to release the lock. Below are pictures of the backside of both plugs since this isn't shown in the vid.

Thanks again Chris... If I had to read the instructions that came with it I'd still be working on it...:thumbsup:

GTAHVIT 07-01-2010 04:47 PM

:headbang:

Well done brother!!!!

I had thought about removing the clips from the mounts but got tunnel vision and just kept trying it until I finally got it.. :laugh:

Needless to say I edited out a few... ah hem.. choice words.... :laugh:

I'm very glad the video helped.

Looks GREAT!! :headbang:

JoeP@TeamBeckyD 07-01-2010 04:50 PM

I could watch that video over and over...:wub:
By the way the instructions we send ...are from GM.
Thanks for a GREAT video!!!

mlee 07-01-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet (Post 2049501)
I could watch that video over and over...:wub:
By the way the instructions we send ...are from GM.
Thanks for a GREAT video!!!

LMAO... He is kind of smooth in that instructional kind of way...:D

...as for instructions I'm like any other guy... if it's more than one page w/ some big pictures forget it.:thumbdown:

Now a cool video with a bucket of popcorn is a different story...:popcorn:I didn't even know I was learning anything..:rolleyes:

mikaltima 08-21-2010 02:39 PM

I like my XM antenna to stand out....It looks good but not for me.... Just a matter of taste I guess.

Phantom.5SS 08-21-2010 02:42 PM

Use caution if you have a "Metallic" paint car.
I install public safety radios for a living, a company called UNTENNA makes a low profile similar to the XM unit. A couple were painted to match the metallic paint and suddenly dont work due to RF interference reflecting off the flakes. We had them switch to plain color paint and they work fine.

I dont know if XM will be inhibited because there are Satellites everywhere, but in tunnels and heavy tree'd areas it drops off.

Just a word of caution..

2010 2SS/RS 08-21-2010 03:02 PM

Nice work man, one question... Where can I get one of these color matched antennas ?

Rickerbucks 08-21-2010 03:05 PM

I was going to paint my fin but GM dealership was recommending agaionst it. I have a Yellow car.....sounds like I possibly COULD paint it
Yes?

No?

white light 08-21-2010 03:09 PM

how much was the antenna?