Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Rear view camera and LCD mirror install on my vert. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136532)

Starminder 03-23-2011 01:15 PM

My wife's Terrian has guidelines, but it is displayed on the huge nav screen. I haven't seen mine work yet, but from what I can tell with the display being on the mirror it's just the image.

http://www.brandmotion.com/media/cat...18-9540a_1.jpg

ToddB 03-23-2011 01:43 PM

Great job. I will be doing this when my vert arrives. Also I am doing a complete custom stereo system. Can you tell me what size the rear side speakers are. Thanks :)

SUX2BU 03-23-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiberious (Post 2999700)
If it's intended for the Camaro, will it have guide lines or just the image? I'll take any help I can get keeping from hitting hidden objects....and yes, I look too!

Tib

My camera has two little buttons to turn on/off the grid lines and to reverse the image (in case you mount it up front). I might look into mounting one up front and have a switch to activate it when parking forwards.

GreenMonster 03-23-2011 05:57 PM

Nice mod!

Bodih 03-23-2011 08:43 PM

I cringe everytime I see a new car tore apart like that, but nice job on the install. I just can't see going with a bigger mirror than the monster already in these cars.

Why not make a monitor where the DIC is at? That would give everyone something to look at...

Sevn86 03-23-2011 10:26 PM

:w00t:

2SSRS@Gen5diy 03-23-2011 11:31 PM

Nice job, on the coup you don't need to drop the head liner for the install, if you have a lot of noise in the image you need to shield the cable from the trunk all the way to the side cover.

jblust 03-26-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUX2BU (Post 2997636)
A side note: the video quality has some interference. I'm thinking bunching up the excess wire like that and putting it right next to the battery wasn't the best idea. I will fix it tomorrow.

I've got the same kind of problem with interference, but I don't think it's a problem with the video signal or the wiring to the back of the car. I think it's a problem with the power or the ground. I'm getting the power from the harness green wire and grounding to the little black bolt just in front/above the drivers side fuse box. If I unhook that and just power the camera from a 9v battery, the signal to the mirror is nice and clear.

SUX2BU 03-26-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jblust (Post 3013900)
I've got the same kind of problem with interference, but I don't think it's a problem with the video signal or the wiring to the back of the car. I think it's a problem with the power or the ground. I'm getting the power from the harness green wire and grounding to the little black bolt just in front/above the drivers side fuse box. If I unhook that and just power the camera from a 9v battery, the signal to the mirror is nice and clear.

Hmmmm interesting, I remember reading somewhere about the power going to the stock camera being 6 volts. Maybe the green write is only provoking 6 volts and that is why the quality is crappy. I'll plug mine into a different power source when I get home.

jblust 03-26-2011 04:52 PM

Yep, I just ran camera power from the cigarette lighter adapter and the picture quality was much better (still a teeny bit of interference visible but 90% better). I think I need to try to run a separate ground up into the mirror harness rather than grounding to the chassis.

BOOGIE 03-27-2011 07:10 AM

Man I need one of these on my car! It is hard for me to tell how far to pull up when I'm parking this car! I'm use to pulling up until my tires hit the curb in my truck and that does not work in this Camaro

REValie 03-27-2011 07:41 AM

Nice post, was wondering why that wasn't an option when buying.

SUX2BU 03-27-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REValie (Post 3015894)
Nice post, was wondering why that wasn't an option when buying.

I'm guessing it will be next year with the ZL1 having it.

BOOGIE 03-28-2011 09:31 AM

Whats the model # of the parts you use if you have them handy? I have to do this:) And how does it know when to come on?