Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Tom Henry Racing THR22 2010/LS3/IBM/Supercharged SS Camaro [COTW 10/29/12] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24276)

GTAHVIT 07-22-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Emma (Post 2129334)
GTA:
How much boost are you running? What size pulley? Thanks.

Your car is :drool:

Well, It's the stock Maggie pulley so right at 6.5 pounds.. When we added the CAI I actually gained a little boost... So, I'm just under 7 now I think.

Also we've been playing with the mufflers. It was dyno'd with a 3' open muffler that was way too loud.

Then Tom put the 3" chambered muffler on (what I have now) and it should perform the same... maybe better with the increase in back pressure.

After talking to ARH, they want me to put a 2.5" on and I should get a bit better performance...

So my RWHP numbers a a bit of an estimate... Everyone that has worked on my car says I should be over 550 in the winter... ;)

But I'm not quite ready to make that claim without a dyno....

FWIW.

GTAHVIT 07-22-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 2129332)
Maybe he sped up the camera and dubbed audio to match? He was really only doing a few miles per hour. Hell, he may have had time to stop the car, walk to the camera, and kick it to appear as if it was the wind.

:sm0:

The only defence I have to that is you've driven my car??? :help: :iono:

:laugh:

speedster 07-22-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 2129068)
Here ya go.

DUDE !!!

Awesome video. It looked like someone kicked the camera at the end.

It's the THR22 "Sonic Boom"

Great video :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GTAHVIT 07-22-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 2129373)
DUDE !!!

Awesome video. It looked like someone kicked the camera at the end.

Great video :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks man.

Hey when you have a sec. Can you help explain why the mufflers should be necked down to 2.5" and how that helps performance.. Back pressure and scavenging..

Thanks!

PQ 07-22-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 2129367)
:sm0:

The only defence I have to that is you've driven my car??? :help: :iono:

:rolleyes: Oh, ya. Right. And I've yet to start your car without smiling at the sound. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 2129373)

GTAHVIT 07-22-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Emma (Post 2129334)
GTA:
How much boost are you running? What size pulley? Thanks.

Your car is :drool:

oh and to you and PQ...

My car may be supercharged... But I really need to catch you two in the looks department..

your cars are gorgeous. ;)

hrpiii 07-22-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde (Post 2129080)
I like how it moved the Camera when you passed by :laugh:

sounds good

it wasn't the camera.. the Earth moved. :sm0:

GTAHVIT 07-22-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrpiii (Post 2129784)
it wasn't the camera.. the Earth moved. :sm0:

I heard there was gonna be a new federal law that no more than 15 Camaros can be driven at any one time because of that problem...

speedster 07-22-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 2129390)
Thanks man.

Hey when you have a sec. Can you help explain why the mufflers should be necked down to 2.5" and how that helps performance.. Back pressure and scavenging..

Thanks!

Here:

The exhaust gases leave the cylinders of an automobile engine at a pressure of around 60-80 lb. per sq. in. and with a velocity of up to 150 ft. per sec. This results in a considerable volume of noise, which must be reduced sufficiently to make the vehicle inoffensive to the driver and passengers, and to the public at large. This legal requirement is achieved by allowing the gases to expand into a silencer chamber, where the intermittent and violent discharges of gas are broken up and emerge from the tail pipe as a continuous and relatively uninterrupted stream.

The exhaust note of an internal combustion engine is made up mainly of a low- to medium-frequency band of 50-600 cycles per second, and a high-frequency band of 3000-10,000 cycles per second.

The low-frequency vibrations appear to result from resonance between the varying capacity of the cylinder and the exhaust system as the piston moves through its exhaust stroke, while the high-pitch sound originates in the release of the high-pressure gases through the exhaust ports.

According to experts (I usually check with David Vizard first) you should shoot for around a 0.2 psi backpressure for no HP loss in a system.

In our terms, you are trying to use the exhaust to both control noise and optimize the flow IN THE COLLECTOR AREA. Basically you want the next cylinder in the firing order (on the same bank of a motor like your LS3) to scavenge such that the next cylinder does not have to do the work. For your THR22 items such as cubic inch, stroke, compression, forced induction boost, cam specs, etc. come in to play. Whether you go with 1-
7/8 or 2" primaries, use a 2.5 or 3.0" exhaust, necked down or not, a X-pipe, H-pipe or any other combination is best determined by dyno testing or trial and error. I am sure THR researched this prior to putting your beast together.

Sorry, the long winded version. Yes, you guessed it, I am sitting on a boat in an island cove right now. Getting ready to leave and get some dinner. :D

PQ 07-22-2010 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 2129726)
oh and to you and PQ...

your cars are gorgeous. ;)

Attachment 148054

Mr. Wyndham 07-22-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 2129068)
Here ya go.

:emoticon17:

Did you decide to stick with the chambered mufflers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 2129726)
...But I really need to catch you two in the looks department..

I think what you're planning will get that done...patience...;)

GTAHVIT 07-22-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 2130976)
:emoticon17:

Did you decide to stick with the chambered mufflers?

I'd like to try the 2.5" just to see the difference.

Mr. Wyndham 07-22-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 2131011)
I'd like to try the 2.5" just to see the difference.

Yeah -- it's probably worth a try. But consider that Doug's car about made my ears bleed when he first arrived at the hotel...:bellyroll:

That's a healthy growl you've got there, and I thought maybe you switched them. hehehe...I remember when I made some noise for your kids, Billy got all silent and said, "Now that sounded beautiful." ;)

GTAHVIT 07-22-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 2131032)
Yeah -- it's probably worth a try. But consider that Doug's car about made my ears bleed when he first arrived at the hotel...:bellyroll:

That's a healthy growl you've got there, and I thought maybe you switched them. hehehe...I remember when I made some noise for your kids, Billy got all silent and said, "Now that sounded beautiful." ;)

:D

Yeah I'm pretty happy with it. ;)