Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Funky smell (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292322)

kansjfr 04-29-2013 02:52 PM

Funky smell

Just got a brand new Victory Red 1LE, all loaded up with options, only 460 miles on it so far. I've noticed several times when I start it up, mostly from cold, I smell a burning odor that I'd swear was the clutch. It only comes on when I start the car up, and then goes away. I fully depress the clutch in when I start it, and it doesn't roll when on level surface when the clutch is in, and it's in gear, so I think the clutch is releasing all the way, but can't figure out what that nasty smell is. Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

sruff26 04-29-2013 02:57 PM

I got a new one last week and my smells is mainly because its a new car and all the stickers on the parts are burning off and everything is breaking in ...so mine smells when i spot anywhere and sit for awhile i can smell it

ICTsccaCamaro 04-29-2013 02:58 PM

Give it a thousand miles or more for all the exhaust ect. to fully burn in new cars will have alot of smells when new due to everything getting hot and burning in

beany323 04-29-2013 03:01 PM

I had the same thing. clutch i am guessing.

SS_Falco 04-29-2013 04:21 PM

I have a 1le also and I notice a burning smell also when it's cold, I think it's the heater, since I only notice it when it's cold and I have the heat on.

WHAMMO 04-29-2013 05:21 PM

Theres a bunch of thread about oil smell with the LS3 Vette/Camaro. I never read about any solution though..

JimE 05-02-2013 07:29 PM

How long have you had it and how many miles are on it?

It will have an "oily" smell for awhile as the drivetrain is heat cycled and the oils from production are burned off.

HighMtnSS 05-02-2013 09:57 PM

My 1le has all kinds of nasty, oily, acrid, burning smells with barely 200 miles...smells good to me!

Lumino1LE 05-02-2013 10:34 PM

Clutch!

1LeSS 05-02-2013 11:54 PM

I had the same problem right away. It smelt so bad after the first drive I was afraid to put it in the shop. It smelt REAL hot.
Anyways, I continued to drive it and while it ran good and the smell lessened, something didn't seem right. At 600 miles I took it to the dealer and they took it for a roadtest to diagnose possible clutch failure. Needless to say, it failed. Now i have a new clutch, pressure plate and everything associated with it going in this week. It helped that i had informed them right away.

Meltdownaverted 05-03-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LeSS (Post 6499052)
I had the same problem right away. It smelt so bad after the first drive I was afraid to put it in the shop. It smelt REAL hot.
Anyways, I continued to drive it and while it ran good and the smell lessened, something didn't seem right. At 600 miles I took it to the dealer and they took it for a roadtest to diagnose possible clutch failure. Needless to say, it failed. Now i have a new clutch, pressure plate and everything associated with it going in this week. It helped that i had informed them right away.

Yep anything that might be clutch related best to let your dealership know right away, being that its a wear item you want to give them the opportunity
to get it all fixed up

Ajdin@A2BMotorsport 05-03-2013 02:27 PM

New Clutches need about 1000 miles of driving before being broken in and will smell, also the Exhaust will cause a smell as well. This is all part of the New Car smell ;)

davidcroft 05-03-2013 06:11 PM

Get some ARH long tubes w/o cats and these other smells will be dwarfed! When I sit at stop lights and driving around with the windows down, my clothes smell like I've been sitting on top of a boat motor all day!:sm0:

Anderson1LE 05-08-2013 07:41 PM

I've got 2400 miles on mine now with no smells, had quite a few different smells the first week or so and then they went away, also I had two stickers on my mufflers which I got off after about a week and those seemed to be some of it.

Robert