Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Mylink defaults to FM upon starting car (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303410)

Oldag 06-22-2013 05:21 PM

Mylink defaults to FM upon starting car

Mylink is defaulting to FM, even if I was playing music from the USB when I shut the car off. Can't find anything on this.

Rather annoying. I do not understand why it would not default to the source being used when the car was turned off last.

Glen e 06-22-2013 05:24 PM

Mine does the same...anxious to hear from others

45thCamaro 06-22-2013 05:40 PM

My car does as well and I do not have my link. I believe it has to do with the USB drive. There was another topic about this I saw a few days ago about people listening to music without the car on and then once they turn it on they have to unplug and replug in the USB device.

Glen e 06-22-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45thCamaro (Post 6702324)
My car does as well and I do not have my link. I believe it has to do with the USB drive. There was another topic about this I saw a few days ago about people listening to music without the car on and then once they turn it on they have to unplug and replug in the USB device.

Don't think so...I can get out listening to xm and when I comeback , it's on FM...

lfree11012 06-22-2013 07:09 PM

Ya mine does the same

Meister 06-22-2013 08:07 PM

I have the same problem. Almost always if I was listening to my iPod via the USB port when the car was shut off it is on FM when I start up the next time. iPod isn't even available as an option then. I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in to get the system to recognize the iPod again. Annoying.

Glen e 06-22-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroMike13 (Post 6702722)
I have the same problem. Almost always if I was listening to my iPod via the USB port when the car was shut off it is on FM when I start up the next time. iPod isn't even available as an option then. I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in to get the system to recognize the iPod again. Annoying.

here's my *lousy* workaround for the problem you and I have..I don't want to keep unplugging and plugging the ipod or the usb in the car and wear them out. So I run an usb extension to hang out the center console so I can connect it here when I start the car. It then tucks back under when connected.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3.../null-1798.jpg

Meister 06-22-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 6702756)
here's my *lousy* workaround for the problem you and I have..I don't want to keep unplugging and plugging the ipod or the usb in the car and wear them out. So I run an usb extension to hang out the center console so I can connect it here when I start the car. It then tucks back under when connected.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3.../null-1798.jpg

Thought about trying that. It aggregates me to have to resort to "rigging" something to fix it. Thanks.

Glen e 06-22-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroMike13 (Post 6703085)
It aggregates me to have to resort to "rigging" something to fix it. Thanks.

totally agree...but until then I don't want my ipod socket and USB in the car worn out....

aggieguy13 06-22-2013 10:48 PM

ipods or iphones........

bluetooth seems to work very well in my opinion

Storm T 06-22-2013 11:49 PM

I just got my car tonight and noticed that it defaults to the home screen with all the icons. I was using a flash drive. But it did the same thing when I was listening to XM. Hope they get this fixed soon.

Glen e 06-23-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm T (Post 6703514)
I just got my car tonight and noticed that it defaults to the home screen with all the icons. I was using a flash drive. But it did the same thing when I was listening to XM. Hope they get this fixed soon.

but what plays when you fire up the car?

Storm T 06-23-2013 12:28 AM

Oh, it's actually playing what I left off with. I'd just think it would go to that screen whether it be XM or USB or whatever. I haven't tried a CD yet. Pandora will be nice too.

ScottR 06-23-2013 06:14 AM

Storm T: There's no CD Player if you have myLink

Storm T 06-23-2013 06:50 AM

ummm wow, I didn't even know that. That's was rather odd of them. Looks like USB for me but always noticed the sound is more pristine from cd's.

45thCamaro 06-23-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 6702347)
Don't think so...I can get out listening to xm and when I comeback , it's on FM...

I had the same issue when I still had my xm subscription. Look around for the thread I'm talking about. It must have something to do with the car being off.

45thCamaro 06-23-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm T (Post 6703901)
ummm wow, I didn't even know that. That's was rather odd of them. Looks like USB for me but always noticed the sound is more pristine from cd's.

I seriously just had a depressed moment web I read your thread. I remember when a CD player was an expensive option in the car. I guess it's getting put out to pasture with the cassette tape and 8 track lol

Glen e 06-23-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45thCamaro (Post 6704014)
I had the same issue when I still had my xm subscription. Look around for the thread I'm talking about. It must have something to do with the car being off.

that was just an example - I can be listening to AM, IPod, ANY SOURCE and when I come back to the car, it starts in FM....I hope that is clear now, and was the original question....

Storm T 06-23-2013 08:17 AM

LMAO! I can't believe I didn't notice it. I just picked the car up last night late though. I remember back in the day getting one for my car and it was really expensive.

Storm T 06-23-2013 08:18 AM

Hopefully they will get an update to fix your issue Glen. That would suck for sure.

itsnotacrisis 06-23-2013 08:39 AM

If you power down the radio before you shut off the car, when you start the car next time, and power on the radio, it picks up right where you left off on the USB. At least mine does...(applies to any source)

rray 06-23-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotacrisis (Post 6704092)
If you power down the radio before you shut off the car, when you start the car next time, and power on the radio, it picks up right where you left off on the USB. At least mine does...(applies to any source)

Good find, I had Mylink a week now, and have to unplug then re-plug my USB every time. I was just about to wire in an USB extension cable to make access easier.

Meister 06-23-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotacrisis (Post 6704092)

I'm going to give this a try next time. Thanks.

Meister 06-23-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieguy13 (Post 6703337)
ipods or iphones........

bluetooth seems to work very well in my opinion

iPod in my case. Bluetooth does work from my iPhone (yes, I have both but the iPod is connected via the USB port) but I don't think the sound quality is as good going the Bluetooth route.

Storm T 06-23-2013 11:22 AM

Ok, so now mine did it for the first time. On USB and start the car back up after going inside somewhere and it's on FM. Kind of sucks to have a brand new car and have this sort of issue. Hope it's fixed soon.

itsnotacrisis 06-23-2013 12:04 PM

I don't know if it matters, but I should probably mention; I don't use an iPod, I'm using a flash drive. (this one, btw, http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/cruzer-fit/ ....which I can't recommend highly enough. It stick out of the USB plug less than a 1/4", about the same as the power outlet cover that is above the USB plug. Pictures of it in my center console available upon request.).
Anyway, I have never had to unplug it, and then plug it back in to get MyLink to recognize it. I leave it plugged in all the time (unless of course, I remove it to add more music). The music is always there.
My solution of powering off the radio before shutting off the car just gets the same source to come back on when starting the car the next time, as opposed to MyLink reverting back to FM upon restart.

Glen e 06-23-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotacrisis (Post 6704579)
I don't know if it matters, but I should probably mention; I don't use an iPod, I'm using a flash drive. (this one, btw, http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/cruzer-fit/ ....which I can't recommend highly enough. It stick out of the USB plug less than a 1/4", about the same as the power outlet cover that is above the USB plug. Pictures of it in my center console available upon request.).
Anyway, I have never had to unplug it, and then plug it back in to get MyLink to recognize it. I leave it plugged in all the time (unless of course, I remove it to add more music). The music is always there.
My solution of powering off the radio before shutting off the car just gets the same source to come back on when starting the car the next time, as opposed to MyLink reverting back to FM upon restart.

Update: running errands, in and out of the car 4 -5 times - turning system off before engine shutdown works perfect...thanks to all who contributed here.....

Storm T 06-23-2013 10:25 PM

I have found out that it's not forgetting the flash drives. It's switching source. If you tap the source button on the left side or screen it will switch right back to usb and you don't have to unplug it. So something in there is telling it to do this. Mine wasn't doing it until today. I went through every setting this morning and changed everything to how I wanted it. So the problem started happening after I did that. I will try and go through the settings again tomorrow and set things back to default and see if the issue goes away. I'll let you guys know. Unless someone else wants to try that tonight. It might just be a coincidence but I dunno.

Storm T 06-23-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotacrisis (Post 6704579)

What capacity drive are you using?

itsnotacrisis 06-23-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm T (Post 6707002)
What capacity drive are you using?

16GB

Storm T 06-23-2013 10:42 PM

Ok cool. Thanks! I'll go grab one tomorrow and try it. Be better to have a little stubby one anyway.

That didn't sound so right. :der:

Oldag 06-24-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm T (Post 6706970)
I have found out that it's not forgetting the flash drives. It's switching source. If you tap the source button on the left side or screen it will switch right back to usb and you don't have to unplug it.

Correct.

Oldag 06-24-2013 08:48 AM

GM should fix this. Powering down the radio before shutting the engine off should not be necessary. Nor should it be necessary to change the source back from FM. The system should default to whatever the source was during last shut down.

SemperGumby 06-24-2013 09:10 AM

The problem isn't that it is "losing" the source.

When a USB drive is plugged in it has to be initialized by the OS, in this case the myLink, and read. While on a computer this is normal and expected, the myLink system seems to have been set with a timeout that is under the threshold for a thumb drive. So when you initially start the car up with the drive in, the system takes more time to initialize and index it than the programmers thought it would need.

Simple fix GM: Software update that increases the timeout before switching sources due to "No USB Drive Found."

itsnotacrisis 06-24-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldag (Post 6708025)
GM should fix this. Powering down the radio before shutting the engine off should not be necessary. Nor should it be necessary to change the source back from FM. The system should default to whatever the source was during last shut down.

Agreed.

But until they fix it.....

itsnotacrisis 06-24-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SemperGumby (Post 6708105)
The problem isn't that it is "losing" the source.

When a USB drive is plugged in it has to be initialized by the OS, in this case the myLink, and read. While on a computer this is normal and expected, the myLink system seems to have been set with a timeout that is under the threshold for a thumb drive. So when you initially start the car up with the drive in, the system takes more time to initialize and index it than the programmers thought it would need.

Simple fix GM: Software update that increases the timeout before switching sources due to "No USB Drive Found."

I'm sure you're right, but it's not just USB. If I shut the car down with XM playing, or AM, or Pandora, MyLink will start up with FM next time I start the car.

Glen e 06-24-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotacrisis (Post 6710337)
I'm sure you're right, but it's not just USB. If I shut the car down with XM playing, or AM, or Pandora, MyLink will start up with FM next time I start the car.

lotsa off the subject responses here...but I'm glad you get it...until they straighten it out, I'll just turn off before I shut down....glad to see that remote start does not effect the reconnect either...

itsnotacrisis 06-24-2013 06:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's what that SansDisk Cruzer Fit flash drive looks like in the console. I tied the little string on it so it would be harder to lose when I'm moving it around (yeah, it's that small). I put the cover on it(it's laying in the bottom of the console in the pix), and use the string to loop it on my keychain. The drive comes in 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB, but it's the same physical size regardless of the capacity.

Oldag 06-24-2013 10:28 PM

Cruzer Fit in 32 GB works great.

JimE 06-25-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldag (Post 6711754)
Cruzer Fit in 32 GB works great.

SAme one I'm using.