Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   L99 Question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21549)

Thunder1 05-06-2009 10:17 AM

L99 Question

Guys, I'm seriously considering getting the SS w/ the automatic transmission over the V-6....an issue for me is that I have about a 25 mile highway commute to work every M-F...the highway EPA mileage is 25 mpg for the V-8 with the automatic transmission.....but I wonder, with AFM(active fuel management), wouldn't it be more than likely that for 65-70 mph cruises one could get closer to 30 miles per gallon highway just for the stretch(es) where AFM had kicked in???...if so, that would make a big difference for me(and probably others) in deciding V-8 or V-6....I currently have that feature(a different acronym, though) on my '06 Honda Pilot and it seems to stay kicked on for most of the time on my early morning commutes...

Could somebody with early experiences please post some mpg comments regarding the AFM feature and the V-8 to help me with my situation, please???..I would appreciate it!!!:wave:

Muscle Master 05-06-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder1 (Post 462198)
Guys, I'm seriously considering getting the SS w/ the automatic transmission over the V-6....an issue for me is that I have about a 25 mile highway commute to work every M-F...the highway EPA mileage is 25 mpg for the V-8 with the automatic transmission.....but I wonder, with AFM(active fuel management), wouldn't it be more than likely that for 65-70 mph cruises one could get closer to 30 miles per gallon highway just for the stretch(es) where AFM had kicked in???...if so, that would make a big difference for me(and probaly others) in deciding V-8 or V-6....I currently have that feature(a different acronym, though) on my '06 Honda Pilot and it seems to stay kicked on for most of the time on my early morning commutes...

Could somebody with early experiences please post some mpg comments regarding the AFM feature and the V-8 to help me with my situation, please???..I would appreciate it!!!:wave:

ahhhh .... yes and no

I say you can get 27-28 MPG with the L99 ( driving like miss daisy of course), but it all depends on how you drive, and the environment

But my best bet is you would probably average 22-23 MPG

Scott@Bjorn3D 05-06-2009 10:32 AM

Depending on how much you put your foot in it. The EPA changed how it comes up with MGP ratings so the new rating is usually the low end. People where mad that they never got the milage claimed before.

Driving it without lead footing and with about 5000 miles on the engine you will get around 26-28 highway probably.

Thunder1 05-06-2009 10:40 AM

Thanx Scott and Muscle Master..hope to see more of the same replies!!!

chappy48 05-06-2009 11:40 PM

You can always get better then the EPA estimate. And don't forget getting an intake, exhaust and tune. That will help out too. If you milk it, you may come close to 30mpg, but probably around 28. But from a 400hp v8, that's great. I get about 31 hwy in my v6 accord :)

Warpick 05-07-2009 07:44 AM

Just keep the tach below 2000 RPM and you should do it just fine. Torque, it's a hell of a drug.

mike@newera 05-07-2009 04:58 PM

I have done a lot of tuning with the new G8's, which have AFM as well. You can tune it to make the AFM come on mre often and get a couple more mpg as well.