Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Test drove 2 Camaros tonight, question about the manual (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288817)

Twoblindsheep 04-14-2013 07:50 AM

OP,
i would go for the manual! .. my first camaro was a v6 auto.. it was fun! the car was the fastest thing ive drove at the time.. until i went for the v8.. at first i was in the market for an auto... but later on.. i went ahead and tried an manual out... and let me just tell you... i have never drove a stick before... i learned 5 mins before heading down to the dealership lol
when i finally got the car all my friends and co-worker wanted to test drive it.. i only let 5 people try it since they either drove a mustang 5.0 or BMW Z4 and one drove a STI... and out of those 5 people.. everyone stalled... beside the person who drove the Z4.. i think he almost burned out my clutch too...lol
but what it really comes down to... you will get use to it. you will be able to take off when ever you want once you get use to the clutch.. plus with manual you dont have to deal with the AFM...yikes.. glad i didnt go with the auto! :thumb:

Beehave 04-14-2013 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daytripper (Post 6415329)
the clutch in my 2012 SS took some getting used to.The clutch in my new GT500 is even harder to deal with. Now when I drive my Camaro I find the clutch very user friendly. I guess you just get used to it. I also think if you drive a car daily it will be a lot easier and faster learning process. A lot of people remove the clutch return springs on both of these cars and seem pleased with the results.
Get the 6-speed,it's way more fun being in charge of whats happening.

Exactly^

I believe you describe the "Camaro Muscle"....the more you exercise it...the stronger it gets......."use it, or lose it" Get a standard, imo

shrinkdoc 04-14-2013 08:53 AM

As I said before...it takes years and years to master:first: a manual transmission, especially a Camaro with a hurst short throw. Not everyone can drive one. Once you do you can be certified as a MMTD. A Master Manual Trans. Driver is something many of us dream of obtaining.:popcorn: So...I say go for it!!:thumbsup::whitevertshift:

shrinkdoc 04-14-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawdog (Post 6414656)
Depends on your driving habits and your daily drive, if it's a daily driver and you are stuck in stop and go, get the automatic. you have the paddle shifters and they are so responsive. if you don't have city driving then you may like the manual. But I can tell you in the cornering, shifting through gears on that Camaro while steering through an intersection takes a little getting used to.

Mine is a DD, I am in the suburbs but still 80% or more is stop and go until I hit a highway. Even in S and G the manual is no problem and preferable.

shrinkdoc 04-14-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beehave (Post 6421915)
Exactly^

I believe you describe the "Camaro Muscle"....the more you exercise it...the stronger it gets......."use it, or lose it" Get a standard, imo

So the Camaro name comes from a muscle in the arm:twitch:?

CyberPunk223 04-14-2013 02:01 PM

you got to remember that the clutch plates needs some breaking in on a new car, as well as the shifter itself will loosen up a bit as you wear it in, but nothing wrong with getting an auto too, My opinion is that you really cant appreciate the power & speed of a car like the SS with a manual, it's honestly more fun with an auto. I got a v6 manual, I prefer a manual for the v6 but if I was to get a SS I would probably get the auto.

Baylor16 04-14-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyber[RIGHT
[/RIGHT]Punk223;6422880]you got to remember that the clutch plates needs some breaking in on a new car, as well as the shifter itself will loosen up a bit as you wear it in, but nothing wrong with getting an auto too, My opinion is that you really cant appreciate the power & speed of a car like the SS with a manual, it's honestly more fun with an auto. I got a v6 manual, I prefer a manual for the v6 but if I was to get a SS I would probably get the auto.

this makes no sense

Beehave 04-14-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor16 (Post 6423183)
this makes no sense

+1.... I don't get it :confused:

ec1990 04-14-2013 05:25 PM

Make sure you check out the Hill assist as well and make sure it's not something you mind either.

11VicConSSMan 04-14-2013 05:30 PM

I don't know about the auto... just seems to take away from having 429hp at your beck and call. I love my M6. Its just like everything the more exposure you have the better, more relax you will be at it....

Norm Peterson 04-15-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor16 (Post 6423183)
this makes no sense

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beehave (Post 6423431)
+1.... I don't get it :confused:

I guess some folks are easily impressed when flooring the throttle forces the tranny to automatically downshift 3 gears or so and it shocks the rear tires all loose . . .

Norm

tramtwo 04-15-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 (Post 6422880)
you got to remember that the clutch plates needs some breaking in on a new car, as well as the shifter itself will loosen up a bit as you wear it in, but nothing wrong with getting an auto too, My opinion is that you really cant appreciate the power & speed of a car like the SS with a manual, it's honestly more fun with an auto. I got a v6 manual, I prefer a manual for the v6 but if I was to get a SS I would probably get the auto.

:facepalm: