Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Will GM beat the kitty kat? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369962)

Botally Tone 07-23-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macwest (Post 7840376)
Were do corvettes come into muscle cars. For me don't care about team corvette not a muscle car. Corvettes have always been considered a sports car which is a completely different market.

As for ZL1 more sophisticated sorry but that is wrong. The new challenger allows allot more modifications by the driver then the ZL1 every allows. Also, Early reports say the challenger handles just as well as the ZL1 to me that sounds like the ZL1 just got served.

Please post links to your sources. I don't know which ones you have read but I have read that it lacks the sharpness of a ZL1.

hotlap 07-23-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Early reports say the challenger handles just as well as the ZL1 to me that sounds like the ZL1 just got served.

2doorrocket doesn't count. :D Otherwise the only report I've seen was Motor Trend

"That said, the Hellcat still handles like a Challenger. Navigating the Challenger through curvy parts of the road or track is, ahem, challenging."

macwest 07-23-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 (Post 7840415)
2doorrocket doesn't count. :D Otherwise the only report I've seen was Motor Trend

"That said, the Hellcat still handles like a Challenger. Navigating the Challenger through curvy parts of the road or track is, ahem, challenging."

By your own words then you are saying there is no real write up and as such you are making an assumption on handling. Since your comments are assumptions then there is factual validity to your comments.

McRat 07-23-2014 09:15 PM

Trust me. Dodge is aware corners exist. Hence the Viper.

And, they test all their performance cars extensively on a track.

And, they know what kind of numbers the competition is putting down.

If Dodge saw something special in the 2015 Challenger's lap times on any track, you'd be hearing about it everywhere.

Not sure Dodge wants to play in that field. They know what Ford can do, and what Chevy has done. There is a lot of catch up necessary.

Kind of like that announcement the Viper finally beat the Vette's old Laguna Seca time by a hair. You'd have heard about it.

Expunge 07-23-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

As for ZL1 more sophisticated sorry but that is wrong. The new challenger allows allot more modifications by the driver then the ZL1 every allows. Also, Early reports say the challenger handles just as well as the ZL1 to me that sounds like the ZL1 just got served.

Calling BS on that entire statement. Put up or shut up.

dtwolcot2 07-23-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Were do corvettes come into muscle cars. For me don't care about team corvette not a muscle car. Corvettes have always been considered a sports car which is a completely different market.

What modifications does it allow you to do? I haven't seen anything other then put it in launch mode and changing the suspension to sport. Are you butthurt by the ZL1?

BigBoyBlue 07-23-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Why do you care so much? You don't have a dog in the race. Could it be jealousy? I'm getting that feeling based on your choice of words.

I couldn't care less if my car is the fastest in a straight line. Someone in a Chevette could put a big motor in it, nitrous, and run as fast as any of these cars. Getting a car to go around a track is much harder. The suspension on the ZL1 is leased to Ferrari by GM. Obviously this is a special suspension. Just because the Dodge suspension has more settings, doesn't make it a better or more sophisticated suspension.

I'm sure the Hellcat will be fast, but most likely a one trick pony. I hope I'm wrong.

hotlap 07-23-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macwest (Post 7840431)
By your own words then you are saying there is no real write up and as such you are making an assumption on handling. Since your comments are assumptions then there is factual validity to your comments.

You're the one that said...

"Early reports say the challenger handles just as well as the ZL1 to me that sounds like the ZL1 just got served"

I'm very interested to see how it does with the press.

McRat 07-23-2014 10:17 PM

It will be cool if a mag will do a 2014 GT500, ZL1, 2015 Hellcat head's up comparison.

Skylane765 07-23-2014 10:17 PM

The hell cat has a ugly front end.

hotlap 07-23-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McRat (Post 7840551)
It will be cool if a mag will do a 2014 GT500, ZL1, 2015 Hellcat head's up comparison.

:thumbsup: Yes! That would be very cool

Alfieboy 07-23-2014 10:42 PM

think with some upgrades..small..some drag radials..tune etc..i think the zl1 be compareable to the hellcat.....

"After the street drive and road course sessions were finished, it was time to unleash the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat on the track where it will likely be the most comfortable – the drag strip. Dodge was quick to boast that the Hellcat powered Challenger is the fastest muscle car of all time, laying down NHRA certified times of 10.8 at 126mph with drag radials and 11.2 at 125mph with the stock tires. Of course, those times were turned in by a driver who had made countless runs in this car on a well prepped drag strip. We, on the other hand, were racing on what I would consider to be a completely unprepped drag strip so we were faced with the challenge of making use of all of that power without the aid of a sticky track surface. - See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/106/driving-2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-nothing-short-incredible#sthash.vDiyQS2H.dpuf"

FilibustaRhymes 07-23-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28man2 (Post 7838949)
First of all its a DODGE = tranny breaking & rolled over components from the standard challenger platform, yeah they say they beefed it up but time will tell. Its is a good looking car, but IMO its still a DODGE. The ZL-1 & GT500 are still badass cars & at the end of the day when its all said & done the lipstick wears from the pigs mouth. :thumb:

x2...they've gotten better over the last few years, but I still wouldn't buy a Challenger. I don't care if it has 1500 HP.

Love the way they look...hate everything else about them.

joeybsyc 07-23-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 7839971)
The hellcat was built for bragging rights of being the biggest baddest muscle car you can buy. It might not be the total package the zl1 is, but it will probably still be a blast to drive and that's what matters most.

I'd love to have a car that handles great, but you know what I'd rather have something that will dominate you stoplight to stoplight.

+1.

580hp doesn't sound too impressive anymore.