CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Front Facing Camera for Mylink! 8" Screens Only. (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540420)

Sledgehammer70 10-11-2018 12:53 PM

Front Facing Camera for Mylink! 8" Screens Only.

Added the Gen5DIY front facing camera to my 2016 Camaro SS. The install is quick and it works pretty easily. All in for the module update and camera is about $600ish. Not only do you get the Camera, but it will turn back on the option to play videos and unlock all motion locks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=490VKlq6XJU

Product: http://bit.ly/2yeePqB

OVERPAR73 10-11-2018 08:52 PM

Still waiting on Ofer to get the harness fixed so it works for the 2018 ZL1.

srcstc 10-12-2018 02:33 PM

Is it 100% reversible? ie can I remove it for warranty work and it doesn't leave a trace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldman 10-12-2018 02:35 PM

The video was almost 30 minutes but what was the actual time it took you to install it?

MANNAXMAN 10-12-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 (Post 10334925)
Added the Gen5DIY front facing camera to my 2016 Camaro SS. Not only do you get the Camera, but it will turn back on the option to play videos and unlock all motion locks.

Did you consider the NavTool GMBOX3.0 add-on module? From what I've read, it adds most, if not all, of the same features/functions as the Gen5DIY HMI update without having to send in your HMI. If you considered the NavTool unit, why did you go the Gen5DIY route instead?

DWR 10-12-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN (Post 10335994)
Did you consider the NavTool GMBOX3.0 add-on module? From what I've read, it adds most, if not all, of the same features/functions as the Gen5DIY HMI update without having to send in your HMI. If you considered the NavTool unit, why did you go the Gen5DIY route instead?

This question exactly

Joshinator99 10-13-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Has anyone else done this NavTool box? Seems like a great deal, and plug-and-play?

vtirocz 10-13-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

I’d like to know this as well.

Sledgehammer70 10-18-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 (Post 10335310)
Still waiting on Ofer to get the harness fixed so it works for the 2018 ZL1.

He has the harness done.

Sledgehammer70 10-18-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srcstc (Post 10335961)
Is it 100% reversible? ie can I remove it for warranty work and it doesn't leave a trace?

100% reversible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldman (Post 10335965)
The video was almost 30 minutes but what was the actual time it took you to install it?

If I followed the instructions and did it there way probably just over an hour. If you notice my videos don't cut a lot of the work, I try to show everything including my frustration and issues.

Quote:

I looked into it as the cost was simply not something I could over look. But all my research has shown these units simply do not last. Also their offering requires 2 products to do what the Gen5DIY setup offers. Their descriptions are very vague and from the info I found, you can't do everything you want.

The benefit of the Gen5 system is it uses all factory stuff to run everything. Yes the upfront cost can be expensive if you don't send in your HMI, but once you get the new one and send your old one in, you get that refund.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWR (Post 10336010)
This question exactly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 (Post 10336567)
Has anyone else done this NavTool box? Seems like a great deal, and plug-and-play?

This is a plug and play setup as well for the most part.

OVERPAR73 10-25-2018 08:27 PM

Got my front camera harness yesterday and got it partially installed. My HMI area looks different than Lethal Camaro's area when he was installing his. I have asked Jarod for any help. Installation instructions would be really nice. Well see what happens?

OVERPAR73 11-09-2018 02:37 PM

Front Camera Kit

Well, I finally received my reprogrammed HMI and swapped it into the car and got, "Theft Detected" warning on my info screen in big red letters. So that didn't work at all. Tried swapping them back and forth several times with no luck. So I have sent both the new HMI and my old HMI to the programer today to see if it can be redone and fixed? I'm guessing I'll have to wait another week before I receive it back and try it all over again. I was told by Jarod at Gen5DIY.com that my car is the first 2018 ZL1 to have the front camera kit installation. It took a little while to get everything after they tested the new harness on Ofer's car. I'll let everyone know how it works out and provide some pics and or video.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 11-09-2018 02:49 PM

Hom we have the first 18 ZL1 with the kit, it is a 1LE but still the ZL1, you and us have the PDM unit down there that the 16 we shot the install with did not have, last thing we fixed the video switch used in the kit, so no more warning when it used.

OVERPAR73 11-21-2018 07:14 PM

Front Camera Kit from Gen5DIY.com

Ok guys, finally got my original HMI reprogrammed and returned back to me today. Took a little longer than I expected to get it back but just got it installed and everything works perfect now! So nice being able to touch the info screen for the front camera option and seeing what's in front of you. Placed the camera at the very bottom of the grill, you can hardly tell it's there. I highly recommend this mod to all Gen6 Camaro's to prevent damage to your front splitter while trying to park. System will for sure pay for itself if you have to replace your splitter.

Ofer at (Gen5DIY.com) is having some really good prices during their Black Friday sale. I also just purchased their plug & play eyebrow light harness today (on sale). It keeps the eyebrow light on all the time, even with the turn signal blinking. Make sure to check out all their products!

Now I will be removing my front bumper to add the Oracle lighting kits.