Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Best way to clean Black wheels? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223666)

butters 05-14-2012 11:09 AM

Best way to clean Black wheels?

I have the Adams all-purpose cleaner. I just spray on and wash off and there still a lot of grime left. Should I be scrubbing with a brush before washing it off? Is there a better spray to use?

lexlueger 05-14-2012 11:13 AM

All purpose cleaner isn't meant for wheels. Adam's makes a wheel cleaner.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-684-a...l-cleaner.aspx

You may also need to grab their wheel brush...saves allot of time:thumbsup:

butters 05-14-2012 11:15 AM

:thumbup: makes sense, thanks!

lexlueger 05-14-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butters (Post 4959137)
:thumbup: makes sense, thanks!

No problem..don't forget we get a discount on Adams products with the "camaro5" coupon code. :drinking:

Adam's Polishes 05-14-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butters (Post 4959103)
I have the Adams all-purpose cleaner. I just spray on and wash off and there still a lot of grime left. Should I be scrubbing with a brush before washing it off? Is there a better spray to use?

You won't find a spray on/hose off cleaner thats going to be safe for your wheels. In order to break things down chemically it would also be hard on the clear coat, so any cleaner you choose is going to take some kind of agitation to get 100% clean.

For light cleanings I take a couple oz's of our Car Wash and dilute it in a 36oz bottle w/ a foaming sprayer. This makes a nice, pH neutral, cleaning solution that won't remove wax or sealant from the wheels (which you should be applying) and if the contamination is fairly light only requires a little scrubbing with a boars hair wheel brush or spare wash mitt.

For heavier cleaning I go with our Green Wheel Cleaner as it is more effective at breaking up road grime/brake dust. It does, however, degrade the sealant/wax to some degree so its important after cleaning with it to reapply your preferred wax or sealant for protection.

I'd avoid using APC for wheels unless its diluted 1:1 and honestly its not great for that type of cleaning... its better suited to cleaning the tires and fender linings.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 05-14-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butters (Post 4959103)

As per my GM resources, on page 10-92 it describes how to wash your wheels. It states: Use a soft, clean cloth with mild soap and water to clean the wheels. After rinsing thoroughly with clean water, dry with a soft, clean towel. A wax may then be applied. Keep the wheels clean using a soft, clean cloth with mild soap and water. Rinse with clean water. After rinsing thoroughly, dry with a soft, clean towel. A wax may then be applied.

Notice: Chrome wheels and other chrome trim may be damaged if the vehicle is not washed after driving on roads that have been sprayed with magnesium, calcium, or sodium chloride. These chlorides are used on roads for conditions such as ice and dust. Always wash the chrome with soap and water after exposure.

Hope this helps!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

CamaroDreams07 05-14-2012 01:25 PM

Give Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner a try. Best I've used. You should still agitate with a microfiber cloth or boars hair brush.

Dylan- I think you meant tires in the last sentence. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Adam's Polishes 05-14-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 4959813)
Give Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner a try. Best I've used. You should still agitate with a microfiber cloth or boars hair brush.

Dylan- I think you meant tires in the last sentence. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks... yes. Catching up on 3 days or responses... my fingers are working better than my brain this morning. :D

spacecowby 05-14-2012 01:34 PM

I have black painted rims and i use Adams green wheel cleaner. After letting it soak for awhile i wipe my rims with a microfiber towel and Adams soap. Then every couple months I use Adams revive and quick sealent.

butters 05-14-2012 06:25 PM

It's crazy, I never thought to wax my wheels :facepalm:

Thanks for all the info!

Adam's Polishes 05-14-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butters (Post 4961346)
It's crazy, I never thought to wax my wheels :facepalm:

Thanks for all the info!

You're not alone... most people don't. I ask that question at most detail clinics I run and when I say "by show of hands how many of you wax your wheels?" I generally get < 25% of the people.

Its easy and it keeps them easier to clean over time!