Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Audio Virgin...What to choose (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71104)

Indpowr 03-14-2010 11:05 PM

Audio Virgin...What to choose

Guys,
I am looking to build a system..but stay semi reasonable...

I am getting 2 - 12s and a mono amp. What would you go with...

I have 2 possible sponsors...

1. Phoenix Gold
2. JBL

I remember Phoenix Gold from back in the day and know they used to be one of the top of line brands...

What would you recommend, even if not above...I have BLVD Customs doing the install!!!

sspaul 03-15-2010 12:38 AM

go with pheonix gold, jbl isnt worth a shit when it comes to car audio

mrray13 03-15-2010 12:48 AM

Really, JBL isn't worth shit? They have one of the highest end subwoofers, the GTi on the market, when they were partnered with Crown, they made some vicious amps. Even now, they are quality, IMHO better then Phoenix Gold who has past their prime, albeit a bit current hungry in the amp department.

What other products does the shop have? If you can get JBL/Crown amps, with the GTi sub, if budget allows, and matching mid/highs, you'll have one banging ass system! When I'm on my home computer later, I'll post pics of one badass 69 Camaro that was all JBL. Crown amps are pure sexiness too, would be banging in the trunk of a 5th Gen.

If it was my system...

Sundown Amps
SSA ICON subs
either Rainbow or HAT (Hybrid Audio Technologies) mids/highs.
Kicker Hyperflex wiring

CamaroSkooter 03-15-2010 06:18 AM

I'm partial to Alpine products. A pair of 12-inch Alpine Type-X's powered by an Alpine PDX-1.1000 Mono Amp would put most systems to shame. And if you ever needed more, you could add another PDX-1.1000 to have one amp per sub and they'll really pound.

I really like the PDX line of Alpine amps because they're stackable. This saves a lot of space, which we all know is pretty limited when you're talking about putting a system in the trunk of a Camaro and still trying to keep the trunk semi-usable.

But when it comes to car audio, you've probably already heard the saying about opinions, so it's all a matter of preference and what products you've actually heard before.

I will recommend that you make sure whatever amp you get states somewhere that it's CEA-2006 Compliant. This industry "standard" basically means that the amplifier is rated according to a specific set of criteria that are based in reality. Some amp manufacturers claim some rediculous power output numbers using some off the wall criteria just to pad their numbers.

mrray13 03-15-2010 05:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 103109

It's a 68 Camaro...

Attachment 103110
Attachment 103111
Attachment 103112
Attachment 103113

Those are GTi 12s free air, powered by that beautiful Crown amplifier. This system rocked as good as it looked! It wouldn't be cheap to duplicate though, lol.

Indpowr 03-15-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrray13 (Post 1593078)
Attachment 103109

It's a 68 Camaro...

Attachment 103110
Attachment 103111
Attachment 103112
Attachment 103113

Those are GTi 12s free air, powered by that beautiful Crown amplifier. This system rocked as good as it looked! It wouldn't be cheap to duplicate though, lol.

It does look good. Anyone else?

shevyman 03-15-2010 05:44 PM

sad part is i am not a fan of either. how about you pm me with what kind of sponsor deal they are giving you. i have a few brands in mind we might be able to help you out with getting a sponsor. but they are not full sponsors where the stuff is free. but thats what you get when the equipment is that good i guess. now it is on the pricey side but i will promise you it is all worth it. but then again it also depends on how much equipment you want. as for just an amp and 2 12" probably not as bad. but we usually get two amps one or two subs a set of components and a set of rear speakers.

again pm me with what all you have in mind and i will talk to our rep and see if we can do something.

also look them up. its called electromedia they work with HERTZ and AUDISON equipment

FIREWOLFF 03-16-2010 08:11 AM

Not a huge fan of either one as well. Like MRRAY13 said PG is past their prime and JBL doesn't carry any of those higher end lines anymore. I would look into different lines.

Headynugs12 03-16-2010 09:43 PM

JL all the way for me

Indpowr 03-16-2010 09:45 PM

JBL GTI is pretty high line from what I hear.

Not sure about amps though..

mrray13 03-17-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indpowr (Post 1598889)
JBL GTI is pretty high line from what I hear.

Not sure about amps though..

Was/is their top line. IIRC, was the top rated sub available, even trumping the vaunted (and overpriced) JL w7. JBL amps produce their rated power, always have, but tend to be current hungry. When they were partnered with Crown, and made those big, beautiful amps in that Camaro I posted, they were truely the cream of the crop. Not so much now, but I'd still take JBL over Phoenix Gold.

What other products are you looking at? Does the shop carry anything other then those two, or are you looking for sponsorships for shows? I might, and I emphasize might, be able to get you a hook up, but it won't be brands you are used to hearing about. They are all quality though, easily competeing with JL, JBL and the likes. Let me know, and I'll pass the word and put you intouch with the right people.

Indpowr 03-18-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrray13 (Post 1599912)
Was/is their top line. IIRC, was the top rated sub available, even trumping the vaunted (and overpriced) JL w7. JBL amps produce their rated power, always have, but tend to be current hungry. When they were partnered with Crown, and made those big, beautiful amps in that Camaro I posted, they were truely the cream of the crop. Not so much now, but I'd still take JBL over Phoenix Gold.

What other products are you looking at? Does the shop carry anything other then those two, or are you looking for sponsorships for shows? I might, and I emphasize might, be able to get you a hook up, but it won't be brands you are used to hearing about. They are all quality though, easily competeing with JL, JBL and the likes. Let me know, and I'll pass the word and put you intouch with the right people.

Thanks for all your insight. I am also looking at Hertz and a Hertz amp or Audison amp. Nothing to crazy.

Wife likes it to look pretty and good sound.

I prefer good strong base yet tight and accurate.

I heard that the High Energy Subs are very good.

Shoot me a PM if you like to discuss maybe your contacts. Always willing to listen to what others have to offer.

mrray13 03-18-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indpowr (Post 1607065)
Thanks for all your insight. I am also looking at Hertz and a Hertz amp or Audison amp. Nothing to crazy.

Wife likes it to look pretty and good sound.

I prefer good strong base yet tight and accurate.

I heard that the High Energy Subs are very good.

Shoot me a PM if you like to discuss maybe your contacts. Always willing to listen to what others have to offer.

Audison is some nice stuff! Look pretty and sound good, the ultimate goal, lol!

Strong, accurate bass is nice. Usually means sealed, which is nice for a pretty setup. No ugly ports to hide/blend.

Not heard of High Energy subs, will look into them.

I've shot the man a pm. Gave him a heads up that you and I have spoken, waiting to hear from him. Shot you a pm as well sir, giving you some info concerning that individual.

ThePriest 03-18-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspaul (Post 1590192)
go with pheonix gold, jbl isnt worth a shit when it comes to car audio

epic fail..

i guess thats why JBL makes some of the best amps money can buy... Or maybe thats why Alma Gates, world record holder (spl) uses their entire line. but youre probably right.

phoenix gold is doodoo.

JBL FTW