Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   popping in front end when I hit a bump (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49036)

soonerfanru2 10-25-2009 06:32 PM

popping in front end when I hit a bump

Whenever I hit bumps at low speed I can hear a popping in the front end of the car. I think I read on another thread that some one had a bad strut. Any ideas what it could be and anyone else having the same problem? Well I let my dealer drive my car and he heard and felt the same thing i did. He searched for and found a service bulletin for the upper strut mounts and he ordered some new ones. I am taking it in next week to get fixed. I hope they found a cure. I will update when I get it back

Skyblu 10-26-2009 10:17 AM

Yes I have the same thing, I am going to take it back again and demand they fix the strut mounts, I live on a dirt road and it has done this since day 1, the first time I took it to them said could not duplicate the noise. I will be taking it back soon to be reapired.

67 Convertible 10-26-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soonerfanru2 (Post 1087755)
Whenever I hit bumps at low speed I can hear a popping in the front end of the car. I think I read on another thread that some one had a bad strut. Any ideas what it could be and anyone else having the same problem?

I remember reading that thread but can't find it using the search.
I too have a clunking sound (mostly from the pass.side front) when driving over small bumps in the road. (sounds like someone beating softly on a bass drum). It feels like the tie rod ends or idler arm is loose. I thought there was a thread about loose strut mounts but can't find it. Anyone know if there's a service bulletin to refer to? Or will the dealer tell me this is normal?

soonerfanru2 10-26-2009 02:31 PM

thats exactly what mine sounds like. I am going to take mine in and see what they say.

67 Convertible 10-26-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soonerfanru2 (Post 1091272)
thats exactly what mine sounds like. I am going to take mine in and see what they say.

Please post here all the details of the service dept. visit.

okie2 10-27-2009 06:31 PM

Same problem here. My wife's 2SS has 500 miles, my 2SS has 167 miles. We live down a "patched" blacktop road. Both cars have done it since day 1.

I just figured that's the way they were built. I'd be interested to see what the fix is, or if there is one.

marley. 10-29-2009 08:42 AM

Anyone had any luck getting this fixed? Mine has done it since day 1 as well. i took it to the dealer when it had 200 miles on it and they drove another RS on the lot and said it did the same thing so it was "the nature of the beast". Well now I got 600 miles and it drives me absolutely nuts cuz it feels like something is wrong. I feel like I need to demand it be fixed before I put my Eibach kit on and they try to blame that.

camarorick 10-30-2009 07:25 AM

Subscribed :popcorn:

I too feel like there's something just not right !!!

BlackLS 10-30-2009 08:58 AM

I had a clattering noise on my LS since I got it. It happens on uneven pavement and small quick bumps. It sounds like the front end is going to rattle apart but only on uneven pavement and some pot holes. I love my Camaro but I can have a car that rattles down every bumpy road. I brought in to my dealer and they are now replacing the struts.
I wasn’t getting anywhere with the Service Manager so I called the sales manager. That is when things started to happen. I was stuck in a Nissan Altima for 4 days why the used some kind of recording device to record the sound and send it to GM. They said that the other 1SS Camaro they had on the lot is make the same noise, but both cars are within specs? I find it odd that they are replacing the struts anyway. I thought I was going to have to complain but they agreed to replace them right after they told me nothing was wrong.
The parts just came in yesterday and I plan on bring it in next week for the new struts. I will let you know if this fixes my issue.

Speedy One 10-30-2009 09:35 AM

I've had the same problem since day one also. If anyone finds out the fix please let the rest of us know. Being from Montana mine will be going into storage soon and would like this fixed before hand.

Speedy One:iono:

DangerZL1 10-30-2009 11:32 AM

Its ironic to see this happening to the 2010 Camaro. Ford had this problem on the 2004 Mustang, and they had to redesign the strut bearings to fix the problem. Owners reported it sounding like the front end was going to fall out, and it took Ford about a year come out with a replacement part.

wally572 11-03-2009 08:08 PM

Guys I hate to be the bearer of bad news and I hope Im wrong for you sake, but G8 GT's are built on zeta also. Mine has been sitting at the dealer for 5 weeks waiting on parts, seems I have massive front end issues after about 28000 miles. Both lower control arms are shot and various bushings, struts, etc.... They cant even give me at ETA on when the parts are even going to get here.....As soon as they get the car repaired It will be sold and I will list all parts that have to be replaced. Take a look on the G8 forums and look at the technical service bulletins out on the G8's. This is exactly how mine started with the clunking noise in the front end, and the service tech honestly told me that he had no idea how I made it back to the dealer without the LCA's breaking. I just hope this isnt the same issue.... good luck

BlackLS 11-04-2009 08:01 AM

I just got my car back from the dealer. They didn't install the struts! For some reason they got two left struts? I didn't know the left was different the the right? But anyway I have to take my car back again when the right side strut comes in. I am so mad. They said they order the correct parts but GM shipped a left strut in a right strut box. I hope my car doesn't have the G8 issue above. That scares the hell out of me!

Speedy One 11-09-2009 06:07 PM

Black LS,

Let us know what you find out. I had to put mine up for the winter.:headbang: