Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trimming the fat... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43014)

deletedd 09-17-2009 04:15 PM

Trimming the fat...

Guys, I really want to like the new Camaro. For real, I do. But, I just can't get enthusiastic about a 3900 lb pig of a car. The power's right, the looks are right, everything is right...except for the weight.

So, this is where I ask, "Where are the 400-500 lbs I DON'T need?" If I'm going to buy one of these pigs, and I'd like to, I wanna know what I can remove without sacrificing my safety and the overall good looks of my vehicle. I can live without a back seat or a spare tire, but I'd like to keep the door-panels intact.

So, what can go? And BTW, I'm talking about an SS. I won't mess with a V6.

Lucky SOB 09-17-2009 04:16 PM

Stereo system? wheels?

onechuck 09-17-2009 04:21 PM

You never would know it was this big if you weren't told. You can't feel it any way.

ffrcobra_65 09-17-2009 04:25 PM

Start with 1SS
Remove the rear seats
Replace front seats with aftermarket lightweight seats
Replace the stock intake and exhaust systems
Switch to lighter wheels
Switch to carbon fiber hood

could go on but above should net a couple of so hundred pounds

Rockytophummer 09-17-2009 04:25 PM

Well they beat you to it. Guess you could leave the air compressor out but they left the spare tire out already. You really that upset over 500lbs.? Are you planning on strictly racing this car or something? Good thing you don't want the Challenger! If Camaro is a pig then you must think the Challenger is a cow or a whale!

jtzako 09-17-2009 04:27 PM

Assuming the wheels are typical OEM wheel's they are quite heavy. You could get much lighter ones. Rolling weight seems to be more of a problem than the rest so thats a good start.

nova 09-17-2009 04:34 PM

First start with the car.

Then strip out all the interior including all seats.
Add light weight racing seat for driver.
remove the radio.
take the doors off
remove all the body panels
take the trunk lid off.
dashboard needs to come out too

frame + engine + steering wheel + 4 wheels should be pretty close to what you're looking for weightwise...

and yes I'm joking...

mfr1950 09-17-2009 04:36 PM

Buy a Mustang if you think the Camaro is a pig,its 400,500 lbs lighter....

talwell 09-17-2009 04:42 PM

The Camaro is a package - it was designed, engineered and built exactly as it should be. It was not designed to be 500lbs lighter - and there are many reasons for that. I cannot understand why curb weight would matter to most anyone - unless you plan to race it and in that case just buy a body in white and built it any way that you desire.

caverman 09-17-2009 04:45 PM

Get rid of the independent suspension.
Get rid of the Air Bags.
Get rid of the passenger and back seats.
Get Fiberglass hood and trunk.
Replace the windows with Lexan.
Only run ¼ tank of gas.
Make sure to work out so you can trim off any excess body weight.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I mean really….are you that worried about 500lbs? :facepalm:

These cars are turning great numbers on the track with that weight. If you want a race car they sell the Gen 5 body and you can build what you want.

If that doesn't work for you then I would recommend you go buy a mustang or stick with your ricer.

BTW: I personally take offense by you calling a car that we all cherish here "A PIG". I know they're heavy but you could use a better choice of words here. Just my opinion.

ShnOmac 09-17-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatedZ (Post 937034)
Guys, I really want to like the new Camaro. For real, I do. But, I just can't get enthusiastic about a 3900 lb pig of a car. The power's right, the looks are right, everything is right...except for the weight.

So, this is where I ask, "Where are the 400-500 lbs I DON'T need?" If I'm going to buy one of these pigs, and I'd like to, I wanna know what I can remove without sacrificing my safety and the overall good looks of my vehicle. I can live without a back seat or a spare tire, but I'd like to keep the door-panels intact.

So, what can go? And BTW, I'm talking about an SS. I won't mess with a V6.

Why are you trying to reduce the weight? Whats the goal?

rayhawk 09-17-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfr1950 (Post 937139)
Buy a Mustang if you think the Camaro is a pig,its 400,500 lbs lighter....

The Mustang is 280 lbs lighter than the Camaro.

3860-3580= 280

talwell 09-17-2009 04:49 PM

If you want a lightweight - buy a Miata and throw an LS3 in it. We have a BMW Z3 with a blown 383 in my neighborhood. Blower is so high I dont think they can even see where they are going.

wullger 09-17-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onechuck (Post 937064)
You never would know it was this big if you weren't told. You can't feel it any way.

Exactly. Don't knock it till you've driven one.