Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Overflow's Great Thread of NASA Knowledge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237878)

CamaroSpike23 07-23-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RT21 (Post 5330876)
You should have all that type information in 2 year old PM. ..unless you delete old PMs. :D

/endthreadjackII

I'm at 98% full on my inbox... and that's after I purged it about 6 months ago and went back to 2k or so...lol

threadjack continues

Vengeance Graphix 07-23-2012 11:35 AM

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-conten...mbia-STS-1.jpg

Overflow 07-23-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 5330932)
I'm at 98% full on my inbox... and that's after I purged it about 6 months ago and went back to 2k or so...lol

threadjack continues

How are you still a moderator? :sm0:

Quote:

Originally Posted by xVengeancex28 (Post 5331128)

Ahh, the launch of STS-1. The beginning of America's best space program.

f5journal 07-23-2012 11:40 AM

Some of that terrain does not appear at all level. Especially that shot approaching the launch area. Does that "roll out vehicle" have kick ass leveling stuff or what

Overflow 07-23-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f5journal (Post 5331164)
Some of that terrain does not appear at all level. Especially that shot approaching the launch area. Does that "roll out vehicle" have kick ass leveling stuff or what

It's not level. Especially approaching the launch pad. It gives you a taste of how strong the crawlers are.

f5journal 07-23-2012 11:45 AM

So the shuttle/booster/tank assembly is secure enough that there is no risk from the incline. Just seems like alot of stress there

Great and informative photos

Overflow 07-23-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f5journal (Post 5331187)
So the shuttle/booster/tank assembly is secure enough that there is no risk from the incline. Just seems like alot of stress there

Great and informative photos

Correct. The shuttle is connected to the crawler by cords on the rear of the shuttle, and the SRBs are heavily bolted to the crawler. A couple minutes from launch, the bolts bolting down the SRBs will be blown. A few seconds before lift-off, the cords will let go of the shuttle, and they're off.

CamaroSpike23 07-23-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 5331157)
How are you still a moderator? :sm0:

:iono:

:sm0:
Quote:

Originally Posted by f5journal (Post 5331187)

they've been doing it that way for decades. its an incline, but there's a lot of support.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 5331436)
Correct. The shuttle is connected to the crawler by cords on the rear of the shuttle, and the SRBs are heavily bolted to the crawler. A couple minutes from launch, the bolts bolting down the SRBs will be blown. A few seconds before lift-off, the cords will let go of the shuttle, and they're off.

this.

also, go youtube some of the closeup videos of space shuttle launches or even the Apollo launches. shit is intense

Overflow 07-23-2012 01:03 PM

I just wanted to post this video of a reconstruction of the final reentry of Columbia..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ1Bf...eature=related

RT21 07-23-2012 01:48 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here's some from I think that last Discovery Launch...and a misc picture, not sure what it was. :D It was from VAFB.

Overflow 07-23-2012 01:56 PM

Did you take all these yourself? :popcorn:

RT21 07-23-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 5331879)
Did you take all these yourself? :popcorn:

These last ones I took of the actual launch. That's the from the place I mentioned we get the free passes for. You park there and they have a set of bleachers right in from of the river/ocean.

The night ones were from a friend. Some of the others I had also, but my friends took better pics. I only have the best ones at work, which is mostly the only time Im in the forum anymore.

I'll bring in the Discovery leaving on the 747 tomorrow if I remember. :cool:

Overflow 07-23-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RT21 (Post 5331922)
These last ones I took of the actual launch. That's the from the place I mentioned we get the free passes for. You park there and they have a set of bleachers right in from of the river/ocean.

The night ones were from a friend. Some of the others I had also, but my friends took better pics. I only have the best ones at work, which is mostly the only time Im in the forum anymore.

I'll bring in the Discovery leaving on the 747 tomorrow if I remember. :cool:

Wow! That really sounds like an awesome place to watch a launch.

Sweet! We'd love to see those!

RT21 07-23-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 5331967)
Wow! That really sounds like an awesome place to watch a launch.

Sweet! We'd love to see those!

Yes it is. Pretty lucky for that. I'm really suprised 5ohcamaro doesn't have a bunch more.

I thought you lived "Where rockets are launched". Is that the other side of the US?